Free Agents

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

German Township

Free Agents

Post by German Township »

The amount of money the Pirates waste each year on free agents is absurd. This year Cherrington wasted a tremendous amount of money again using what I call, the shotgun approach. His reasoning is to sign as many over-the-hill players that he can. Example- Chapman, Perez, Gonzalez, Tellez, and Grandal. Realistically, how many of them helped? My opinion, NONE! He hoped to catch lightening with a few. The money should be allotted to one needed position player, offering said player two years. Example, Hopkins, 1st baseman for the Brewers. How much better would the team, record wise had been this year, compared to Tellez and Joe? Unless Cherrington and Shelton are fired, and replaced with first, a young energetic GM from a winning MLB winning team who is allowed to hire his on-field manager and coaches, our Bucs will continue to basically be the same rudderless ship with zero direction. Just as important, the manager hired has to be in the same mold as Danny Murtaugh, Chuck Tanner, and Jim Leyland. These managers were all disciplinarians. Slugs like Tellez and Cruz would have been pulled immediately from the game for their lack go hustling, like leaving the batters box. And, on to a last of my comments, I don't feel sorry about the $200,000 that the slug "lost". He made around $4 million this year. Don't know about any of you reading this, but I was a public school teacher in PA. My total income in my lifetime never came close to 1/2 million $. People will say and ague that I chose the profession, but I loved it.
Bobster

Re: Free Agents

Post by Bobster »

Good free agents get offers from other teams and don't want to play for the Pirates. Hoskins is guaranteed 34 million and could get as much as 48 million over 3 years. Even if the Pirates offered him 48 million, why would he take it when he could get it from a better organization? The reasons the Pirates sign the free agent leftovers is a combination of being cheap and being an unattractive landing place for the good free agents.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Watching Keller today. He hasn't been good this last 4-6 weeks. With Skenes, Jones,
Ortiz, Falter, and possibly Oviedo and Chandler. I wouldn't be against trading him for a decent bat.
How bout you guys
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:17 pm Watching Keller today. He hasn't been good this last 4-6 weeks. With Skenes, Jones,
Ortiz, Falter, and possibly Oviedo and Chandler. I wouldn't be against trading him for a decent bat.
How bout you guys
Definitely! Also, his salary jumps from 5.8 million this year to 15.4 million next year. So, not only do I think it's a good idea, but it might be something the Pirates want to do.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:17 pm Watching Keller today. He hasn't been good this last 4-6 weeks. With Skenes, Jones,
How bout you guys
I was thinking the same thing last night after Ortiz's performance. While it's agreed that a team never has enough pitching, trading one of those guys you mentioned for a much needed bat would be a good idea. The guy who I concluded would be least missed and who could bring back a decent hitter in return is Keller. He just hasn't been consistent enough throughout a full season. It's like he runs out of gas in August.
Possum

Post by Possum »

I agree about trading Keller this off-season with one caveat: Asshole, dipshit GMBC better not be doing the trade. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Possum wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:10 pm I agree about trading Keller this off-season with one caveat: Asshole, dipshit GMBC better not be doing the trade. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
We can always use another utility infielder and a 19-year-old in a rookie league.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I don't want to see them trade Keller. I think he's the foundation of the rotation. I honestly believe he just wore down the last few weeks.

I also don't think Keller would bring back an impact bat, at least not a proven major leaguer. I'd rather not see them trade a major leaguer for prospects. He would probably have to be packaged with someone else, because they would also be looking for a controllable guy.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:12 pm
Possum wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:10 pm I agree about trading Keller this off-season with one caveat: Asshole, dipshit GMBC better not be doing the trade. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
We can always use another utility infielder and a 19-year-old in a rookie league.
If BC can acquire a utility player who’s also a 19-year old in a rookie league, Nutting can save one player salary. It’s always about the money.