Roster moves.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Roster moves.

Post by Surgnbuck »

So much for looking at prospects. Taylor, Tellez, Grandal, Chapman, McKinney still on the active roster. I could at least be okay with three of them (Grandal, Tellez, Chapman) if it was a way for the Pirates to show they have interest in them next season. Taylor and McKinney, there's no point for them to be playing anymore.

Oh well, in the big scheme of things, it's not like they are refusing to bring up Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds either.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

It's difficult to comprehend the lack of common sense exhibited by Cherington regarding the September roster. It's as if his incompetence is so overwhelming that the most basic strategy completely eludes him. This season is shot. Done. Over. Packed up. Sealed off. All that remains is to get some benefit out of finishing the September schedule. That is an opportunity to take a look at players who could be useful in 2025. They have no further use for Taylor, Tellez, McKinney, Joe, Triolo and Williams. Keep Grandal as a favor to Skenes. Take a look at Yorke, Cook, Gorski, maybe even Peguero. Stop resting Davis every other day. Stop moving players in and out of the lineup and at different positions. They don't need more rest! Move out some of the roster deadwood to make room. What should be done is so obvious that it's frightening to think Cherington isn't doing it. It's no wonder that the organization has regressed under his leadership. And if he's back next year, it'll be more of the same. The problem is that he is convinced that he knows what he's doing. Nothing could be further from the truth.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:35 pm It's difficult to comprehend the lack of common sense exhibited by Cherington regarding the September roster. It's as if his incompetence is so overwhelming that the most basic strategy completely eludes him. This season is shot. Done. Over. Packed up. Sealed off. All that remains is to get some benefit out of finishing the September schedule. That is an opportunity to take a look at players who could be useful in 2025. They have no further use for Taylor, Tellez, McKinney, Joe, Triolo and Williams. Keep Grandal as a favor to Skenes. Take a look at Yorke, Cook, Gorski, maybe even Peguero. Stop resting Davis every other day. Stop moving players in and out of the lineup and at different positions. They don't need more rest! Move out some of the roster deadwood to make room. What should be done is so obvious that it's frightening to think Cherington isn't doing it. It's no wonder that the organization has regressed under his leadership. And if he's back next year, it'll be more of the same. The problem is that he is convinced that he knows what he's doing. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Bobster, the only thing that makes sense to me regarding this situation is that they’re doing this on purpose because, for almost every other team, reaching the postseason is the only thing that matters. And when that can no longer be done, the next priority is turning towards getting ready to reach the postseason next year.

It’s obvious they’re not doing that. Why? I‘m convinced it’s intentional. Are they instead trying to end with a worse record to improve their draft status? Truthfully, it’s what they’ve been doing for the past four years so it must be an organizational strategy if it’s done every year.

It’s far cheaper to populate the major league roster, with young, drafted players. They’re also expendable and replaceable on a constant basis. If any of them become too good, and thus expensive, they’re traded away for more younger, expendable talent. It’s a formula for guaranteed profit, modest as it might be, with the key being it also comes with minimal risk. The owner has it down pat. Basically, the man’s running a grift.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Didn't even know he was on the Roster.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I'm not joking, it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been George Wendt, who played Norm on Cheers. They probably got the spelling wrong.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:20 pm I'm not joking, it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been George Wendt, who played Norm on Cheers. They probably got the spelling wrong.
Norm probably had a lower ERA.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:32 pm
Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:20 pm I'm not joking, it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been George Wendt, who played Norm on Cheers. They probably got the spelling wrong.
Norm probably had a lower ERA.
His FIP (Fosters Intake Portion) has been All Star level for years.
UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

I am interested to see what we can do with Wentz - I guess I am hoping for Santana-like results. Obviously Chapman will be gone next year and I haven't been very impressed with Beeks since we traded for him. Would be nice to grab another lefty to go with Boruki for 2025.