SS I. Kiner-Falefa R
1B Rowdy Tellez L
C Y. Grandal S
3B K. Hayes R
RF Ji Hwan Bae L
2B Jared Triolo R
CF M. Taylor R
SP Marco Gonzales L

Shelty is up to his usual tricks. The one trick I would love to see him do is stick his head up his ass! Too bad he can't be replaced now. To do that BC must go as well. We are stuck with Shelty until BOB gets too pissed off.
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/7 - Bucs vs Padres

Post by Doc »

I was at the game last night. It was entertaining, if nothing else. IFK is a real good addition. Connor Joe shouldn't play much the rest of the way. He's mostly overmatched. Bae should only pinch run, if the team had the luxury to carry such a player. Triolo needs some more time in Triple A. I wasn't disappointed when Cruz struck out looking as a pinch hitter because my expectations were met.

And if people don't see the folly of the replay system after the hit batsman call on Arraez wasn't overturned, then I don't know what it'll take.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:18 am I was at the game last night. It was entertaining, if nothing else. IFK is a real good addition. Connor Joe shouldn't play much the rest of the way. He's mostly overmatched. Bae should only pinch run, if the team had the luxury to carry such a player. Triolo needs some more time in Triple A. I wasn't disappointed when Cruz struck out looking as a pinch hitter because my expectations were met.

And if people don't see the folly of the replay system after the hit batsman call on Arraez wasn't overturned, then I don't know what it'll take.
I like your statement regarding Cruz :lol:
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I too was at the game last night. Another gut punch loss. I agree Bae, Triolo and Joe are doing nothing to help this team right now. In my opinion they sure miss Nick G. who has delivered in a few clutch situations this season. I still have a glimmer of hope for a possible post season this year, but the flame is flickering.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Traditionally, August has been the month to separate contenders from pretenders. That seems to be happening.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

mouse wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:26 pm Traditionally, August has been the month to separate contenders from pretenders. That seems to be happening.
I think we as fans are victims of the wild card system. Originally, the top team to not win a division was the WC team. Then it was expanded to 2 so that fans of more teams could feel included in the race for a post season spot. In 2022 it was expanded to a 3rd WC team. So instead of teams rising to the level of post season contenders, the qualifications were lowered to include teams barely at .500.

The Pirates are at 56-57 with no realistic chance of winning the division. If there were still only 2 WC teams, the Pirates would be 6 games off the pace of AZ and SD (both 63-52). 11 games over .500 looks a ton better than 1 game under. It would take a legitimate hot streak just to get in the conversation. Even with a 3rd WC team, they still trail the Braves (60-53) by 4 games. And that's after the Braves just lost their last 4 games.

So we contemplate our chances while sitting at 56-57 while needing to pass SF (a mere 58-58), St.L. (just 3 over .500 at 59-56) and the Mets (60-54) just to be the next team in position if one of AZ, SD or ATL fails. We fret about our chances of making the playoffs when the truth is we are a 56-57 team that hasn't been as many as 4 games over .500 since April 16. Without MLB lowering the standard to 3 WC teams, the Pirates wouldn't even be in the conversation. But it doesn't change who they are. They are a weak hitting, weak fielding, poorly managed team with poor fundamentals and a troublesome bullpen and they have lost more than they have won. If the league says that's good enough to "be in the hunt" then so be it. But calling them a WC contender doesn't make them a better team. They are significantly flawed, as we see on too many nights as we hold our breath and contemplate the chances of being the 3rd WC team, and it would be very bad for Cherington to go into the offseason thinking they don't need many changes because they were "a playoff contender" in 2024. If MLB included all teams in the playoff, then even the White Sox would be contenders. The Pirates need to improve to the point that they are legitimate contenders even without lowering the standard to make them feel they're "in the hunt.'
There's no basement in the Alamo.