Ben Cherington

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Ben Cherington

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:18 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:00 pm I had to locate this former post regarding Ben Cherington, because this week has been a good week for him and the Pirates. I like the recent player acquisitions which the Pirates have made. De La Cruz and Kiner-Falefa sends a positive sign to the clubhouse. They know that reinforcements are coming in to help them going down the stretch. I am sure there may be some who feel a player like Chisholm would have been better, but we will never know what the Marlins wanted the Pirates to give in this trade. None of the trades the Pirates made included any player in their top 10 Prospect list. Personally, I liked Charles McAdoo , but in order to acquire a player, you must bend a little. Today the Pirates are signing their #1 Draft choice Konnor Griffin who supposedly is a very good prospect. Many of the outside publications have given the Pirates a high grade for this year's draft. The Pirates have a new Scouting Director this year who Ben C. brought on board this past offseason maybe that is why the high grade.
There are additions he has made behind the scenes which in my opinion has helped this organization get better. Personally, we may have to review our hitting coaches throughout the System this offseason to see if we can further develop hitters. No GM is going to hit.1000 with all the moves, but you hope with the help of his staff you get more hits, than misses. I think we are in position to play meaningful games the remainder of this season.
Maybe I am too optimistic but because of yesterday I do feel like the Pirates are making a push to make the playoffs this season. Even if they fail, I feel like they push harder next year. Heck, they may even resign Chapman or someone similar to help the team in 2025.
I agree. If they don’t make the playoffs at least they tried. The team is definitely better than it was 36 hours ago, and both De La Cruz and IKF are controllable beyond this year. I can also see Hayes being dealt in the offseason and IKF taking over at third, and another decent outfield bat being acquired.
bucs607179

Re: Ben Cherington

Post by bucs607179 »

Ecbucs wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:18 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:00 pm I had to locate this former post regarding Ben Cherington, because this week has been a good week for him and the Pirates. I like the recent player acquisitions which the Pirates have made. De La Cruz and Kiner-Falefa sends a positive sign to the clubhouse. They know that reinforcements are coming in to help them going down the stretch. I am sure there may be some who feel a player like Chisholm would have been better, but we will never know what the Marlins wanted the Pirates to give in this trade. None of the trades the Pirates made included any player in their top 10 Prospect list. Personally, I liked Charles McAdoo , but in order to acquire a player, you must bend a little. Today the Pirates are signing their #1 Draft choice Konnor Griffin who supposedly is a very good prospect. Many of the outside publications have given the Pirates a high grade for this year's draft. The Pirates have a new Scouting Director this year who Ben C. brought on board this past offseason maybe that is why the high grade.
There are additions he has made behind the scenes which in my opinion has helped this organization get better. Personally, we may have to review our hitting coaches throughout the System this offseason to see if we can further develop hitters. No GM is going to hit.1000 with all the moves, but you hope with the help of his staff you get more hits, than misses. I think we are in position to play meaningful games the remainder of this season.
Maybe I am too optimistic but because of yesterday I do feel like the Pirates are making a push to make the playoffs this season. Even if they fail, I feel like they push harder next year. Heck, they may even resign Chapman or someone similar to help the team in 2025.
I'm kind of dreaming to. Skenes/Jones/Keller. 2025 has me excited. I do believe they are making a mild push for the Playoffs this season also. Problem for me is I keep waiting for the shoe to drop.