Official Game Thread - 7/24 - Bucs vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 7/24 - Bucs vs Cards

Post by Bobster »

Despite the very problematic hitting, the Pirates are 10-3 in their last 13 games. During that span, they swept the lowly White Sox and won series from the Phillies (best record in MLB), Brewers (division leader) and 2nd place Cardinals. They have shown that their pitching enables them to be competitive regardless of the opponent. As currently constituted the rotation is strong 1-3 with Keller, Skenes and Ortiz. Gonzales and Perez are shaky but Falter is close and Jones shouldn't be out too much longer. But they have to improve the hitting. It's bad enough they have a 3Bman who can't hit but they can't continue with an OF of Reynolds, nobody and nobody. They can't afford too many games like the 2-1 Skenes loss. They only have 2 more series before the TDL. They must act! So, hopefully, our conversations will be a little different by the time of the homestand vs AZ and SD.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I'm not expecting much, if anything by the TDL Here's why: Suwinski hasn't been sent down when many thought for certain he would have been after coming back from Atlanta, and then seeing he was still getting some more chances, absolutely after the ASG break. He's still here. I think BC sees Suwinski as an internal option improvement, meaning he probably feels he'll get back to what we saw last season.

They brought up Palacios to hopefully be a spark. Another internal option.

They have three areas of glaring needs, and the two I just mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency for CF and RF. The other area is third base. You have two people who are dead weight at that spot right now. One of them has a team friendly contract, but the way Hayes is hitting, it's more player friendly. You aren't going to be able to trade that contract and get something in return. And whoever they have to replace him, isn't any better.

The Pirates also have a bunch of pitchers who will be getting healthy between now and mid August. They will want to limit Skenes innings, and when he returns, Jones as well. No better way than having a bunch of guys who could be starters, openers, long relief, etc. Think about it: Keller, Skenes, Perez, Falter, Gonzales, Jones, Ortiz, Priester. That's 8 starters we could possibly have in the next couple of weeks. They theoretically could probably trade Chapman and not feel the hurt, and get a solid return on him.

So, I think that's the only thing we'll see. Chapman being dealt, with 2025 in mind, and BC is going to ride out this pitching staff and hope Hayes and Suwinski start providing some sort of offense, while also hoping Reynolds/Tellez/Gonzales/Cruz and to a lesser extent Bart keep contributing at the level they have been. I could also see Taylor being released after the TDL. He's really pointless on this team right now, and has zero trade value. I think they'll trade Chapman hoping for a controllable high end prospect that plays either outfield or first base, and probably one of the pitching prospects to a team looking to bolster their bullpen for a run, but also looking for SP depth for 2025.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surge, if I were a betting man, I think what you’re saying is what they’ll do because that’s right in Bob Nutting’s wheelhouse. No other reason. To me, it’s a bad idea and won’t lead to a playoff berth. The line-up, with Suwinski, Palacios (who’re Four A players), and Hayes, isn’t enough to compete against the better teams, which have major leaguers in the line-up and on the bench, from here to October.

This team needs two major league bats, both of which can hit the ball over the wall. Without them the Pirates will be fortunate to end up with 80-82 wins, which won’t be enough. Other teams would have to collapse in September, like the Mets did a few years ago. That’s asking for a miracle for two or three other teams to do that.

The Pirates can’t afford to wait and hope for that to happen. They have to be the aggressors in the market and go get what they need. We all know who the roadblock will be. He didn’t like the results, getting little in return for the money he spent, back in the playoff years when Huntington traded for guys and the result was not even getting past the first round in three tries.

I hope I’m wrong, but his past actions tell me that what I’m thinking is what I should expect.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

The frustration comes because the issues could easily be solved. The Pirates are a decent team right now. It wouldn’t have to be splash moves. Average hitting outfielders would bump the Pirates into the thick of things. And those players are available. They would not have to give up top prospects to get players like that. Someone needs to take the owner aside and say “We make moves. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don’t. These are sunk costs, we need to eat it to help the team. If you get a halfway decent hitter or two, the attendance will go up. If you DO make a splash move, the attendance may jump up like when Skenes pitches.”
They could even find two outfielders with large platoon differentials at the AAA level and stick them in center. I bet you they would outhit Taylor and Suwinski.
Note that Bae hit 360 with a .942 OPS at Indy. He hits left, like Suwinski. Why would they not give Suwinski’s at bats to Bae? You have one player who is not getting it done. You have another who might or might not. You already control him and don’t have to make a trade. It is idiocy.