All-Star game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Re: All-Star game

Post by Javy »

Bobster wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:42 am Good example of the blown save stat: NL's Logan Webb was charged with a blown save for giving up runs in the 3rd inning. Maybe a blown save should not be charged until the 8th or 9th inning when the pitcher might have actually gained a save.
But yet, a Quality Start is awarded for 3 runs or less in 6 innings win or lose?
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Javy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:53 pm
Bobster wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:42 am Good example of the blown save stat: NL's Logan Webb was charged with a blown save for giving up runs in the 3rd inning. Maybe a blown save should not be charged until the 8th or 9th inning when the pitcher might have actually gained a save.
But yet, a Quality Start is awarded for 3 runs or less in 6 innings win or lose?
Yes. Also, a QS must give up no more than 3 ERs. So 6 innings with 3 ERs is a QS but an ERA of 4.50. But if a pitcher goes 9 innings and gives up 4 runs it's a better ERA of 4.00 but is not a QS because of the 4 ERs. Another stupid rule.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:59 pm
Javy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:53 pm
Yes. Also, a QS must give up no more than 3 ERs. So 6 innings with 3 ERs is a QS but an ERA of 4.50. But if a pitcher goes 9 innings and gives up 4 runs it's a better ERA of 4.00 but is not a QS because of the 4 ERs. Another stupid rule.
I wondered how it worked if pitcher went more innings and gave up more than 3 runs. Your 9 (or even 7,or 8) inning example should be counted as a QS (maybe some teams do this internally).
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I have to admit I hat having NL and AL uniforms. They don't look special and IMO there was no reason to go away from players wearing their team's uniform. That seemed to work well for about 90 years.

These uniforms are like new coke to me.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:08 pm I have to admit I hat having NL and AL uniforms. They don't look special and IMO there was no reason to go away from players wearing their team's uniform. That seemed to work well for about 90 years.

They seem to be universally hated. The commissioner and the owners today are very much into the marketing aspect of MLB and not so much into the baseball aspect of it. Tradition is thrown out the window whenever there's an extra buck to be made. The AS unis gave fans new merchandise to buy.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:06 pm
Ecbucs wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:08 pm I have to admit I hat having NL and AL uniforms. They don't look special and IMO there was no reason to go away from players wearing their team's uniform. That seemed to work well for about 90 years.

They seem to be universally hated. The commissioner and the owners today are very much into the marketing aspect of MLB and not so much into the baseball aspect of it. Tradition is thrown out the window whenever there's an extra buck to be made. The AS unis gave fans new merchandise to buy.
Exactly. Just another money grab. All of the players on the field with 30 different uniforms on is one of the greatest looks in all of sports. It's like they're trying to turn people away from the game. The players should refuse to wear anything other than they're own uniforms.