Skenes, Reynolds all-stars

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Skenes, Reynolds all-stars

Post by Bobster »

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-roo ... star-game/

I thought Keller would make it over Skenes since Skenes hasn't pitched enough to qualify for league leader categories. But I'
m sure the Skenes hype helped.

Clay Holmes and Tyler Glasnow also made it. Why can't the Pirates get pitchers like those guys?
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Re: Skenes, Reynolds all-stars

Post by Doc »

I feel bad for Keller. He earned his way there. But I admit more people probably want to see Skenes than maybe any other pitcher chosen to the squad.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:21 pm https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-roo ... star-game/

I thought Keller would make it over Skenes since Skenes hasn't pitched enough to qualify for league leader categories. But I'
m sure the Skenes hype helped.

Clay Holmes and Tyler Glasnow also made it. Why can't the Pirates get pitchers like those guys?
Agreed on Skenes. I also think Reynolds deserved it based on what he has done in June and so far this month
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:25 pm I feel bad for Keller. He earned his way there. But I admit more people probably want to see Skenes than maybe any other pitcher chosen to the squad.
Keller is having a nice season for certain, but he isn't worthy. Jared Jones has pitched better than him, and depending on which stats one might cherry pick, so has Bailey Falter. But they are not among the elite to make the ASG, and that's stacking them up against starting pitchers.

Skene's doesn't qualify for anything, but his WHIP would put him 10th in MLB, his strikeouts are 65th in all of MLB, and at his SO rate, had he as many IP as Keller, he'd be 4th in MLB, and his SO rate is identical to Tyler Glasnow, who is 2nd in MLB behind Garrett Crochet.

Reynolds on the other hand, ranks 6th in all of MLB in OPS among all outfielders. Though one caveat with that, only 12 qualifying outfielders in all of MLB currently have an OPS of .800 or higher.

We should be elated there are 2 Bucs going, and both are probably going to play.
Javy

Post by Javy »

I don't think there's any question that Reynolds should have been an All-Star. When you look at the Pitchers, there are a couple guys that were selected as the lone representative for their team, like Helsley, Imanaga, and Tanner Scott, and that certainly didn't help Kellers cause.
What is surprising to me though, is the selections of Hoffman, Strahm, and Suarez from the Phillies. Hoffman is part of a co-closer tandem, but has been really good all year. Strahm has been lights out as a set-up guy, at least until the last 2 weeks or so.
Ranger Suarez has been pretty hit-table since their London trip. He was hit on the hand in his last start before that trip and has been hit pretty hard in 3 of his last 4 starts.
Skenes making it despite his short tenure is surprising, but he IS getting some serious media coverage and people are intrigued. Good for him, but it will not bode well for Nutting if Skenes winds up as the ROY or runner-up and starts hitting the bigger money a year sooner because of the exposure.

Tyler Glasnow, Dodgers
Ryan Helsley, Cardinals
Jeff Hoffman, Phillies
Shota Imanaga, Cubs
Reynaldo Lopez, Braves
Chris Sale, Braves
Tanner Scott, Marlins
Paul Skenes, Pirates
Matt Strahm, Phillies
Ranger Suarez, Phillies
Robert Suarez, Padres
Logan Webb, Giants
Zack Wheeler, Phillies
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Happy for both but IMO it should have been Keller over Skenes.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Pittsburgh Pirates rookie pitcher Paul Skenes made Major League Baseball history on Sunday after getting selected to the 2024 All-Star Game.

The 22-year-old became the first player to earn an All-Star nod the season after getting drafted first overall in the MLB Draft.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates are announcing that Skenes is starting the All Star Game.