Official Game Thread - 7/3 - Buc vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 7/3 - Buc vs Cards

Post by Doc »

My first thought is that, yes, he’s lazier than Hendricks. We saw the worst of Hendricks because he didn’t want to be here and so he intentionally played as though he was bored. I don’t remember him playing like that when he was with other teams.

I fully admit that Cruz is immensely talented, and I want that version of him playing with the Pirates. What he can do is other-worldly. But if he doesn’t employ his talent to its full extent, what’s the point in having it at all? He’s wasting it with a crappy attitude that is stealing the greatness that he can be. He’s to blame because it’s the choice he’s making.

I think counseling is a wonderful thing for those who need it, recognize its benefits, and utilize it to make themselves better. I don’t know if he’s willing to accept it, though. If not, then the Pirates would be wasting everyone’s time. Ultimately, it’s up to Cruz to be the best he can be.

I think it’d be very beneficial to have a Latin player with a great reputation in the league to enlighten him but, again, it’s up to Cruz to understand what he’s being told and then be willing to apply it. I don’t know him personally but, the way he carries himself on the field, I have my doubts that he’d be willing to listen. Everyday that goes by, though, is one more day he’ll never get back.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:51 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:08 pm
Bobster wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:34 pm Doc, as we have seen countless times, there is an accountability problem with the Pirates. As in, it doesn't exist. No one is ever held accountable. We've seen a phone on a player, Hayes eating sunflower seeds, players forgetting how many outs there are, throwing to the wrong base, making stupid baserunning mistakes, Wil Craig even forgot how to play the game. Players routinely jog up the 1B line. Or stand at the plate admiring a hit they incorrectly think is a HR. Cruz jogs to 1B on ground balls. So he probably sees nothing wrong with strolling leisurely on the field. All of this is tolerated so the players do it. They have no reason to change until and unless it's no longer tolerated.
So, the question is, why is this the case? For the past 15+ years, we've had two GMs, various front office personnel, several different field managers, and numerous members of the coaching staffs from Pittsburgh on down through the minor league system. Is it possible that all, or the vast majority, agree that accountability is unnecessary? That would be hard to believe.

But the one thing that's been consistent since 2007 is the man at the top. It appears that having an accountability problem is no problem at all to him. After all, he's in charge of the entire operation. He can have any policy he desires, any employee he wants. He's obviously satisfied that the way the baseball operation is run, the way the players (his employees) perform their jobs, is fine or he'd make the necessary changes. Since he hasn't made changes in over 17 years, accountability mustn't be a concern.

Not expecting accountability makes it easier for him to justify his position (not publicly, of course) that winning isn't the priority.
Obviously, winning is not a priority with Nutting. So while I don't believe he actually thinks about the issue of accountability and decides against it, it's just something that doesn't occur to him. Little things that a winning organization addresses to give themselves every possible edge don't seem important to a team constantly treading water and just happy to stay out of last place. The focus of the Pirate organization seems to be on drafting and development, neither of which they are particularly good at, as well as keeping the players on the MLB roster rested and happy. Therre is no focus on leaving no stone unturned to give the team the best possible chance to win any given game. Hot hitters are rested, weak hitters bat cleanup, the manager makes decisions that are counterproductive to winning and players seem unfamiliar with the fundamentals of the game. It seems like the brain trust doesn't consider the team close enough to contending to make an issue of players' mistakes.
What confuses me the most is that the people who are playing and coaching are all about winning. Along with their own personal desire to succeed, it drives them more than anything. I don't understand how they can tolerate being in an organization like this one. Are there no players willing to take charge and demand better of their teammates, coaches and the Front Office? What's the worst that can happen to them, they get traded? The Pirates have become a place to be at the start of one's career, with the intent on getting out as soon as possible, or to get one final contract at the end, with the hope of being dealt to a contender at the Deadline. Yeah, that kind of roster has "World Series" written all over it.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Cruz always looks "stoned" to me :D when they show him up close ! :shock:

Might be hitting a vape between innings or eating edibles ;)
Doc

Post by Doc »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:55 pm Cruz always looks "stoned" to me :D when they show him up close ! :shock:

Might be hitting a vape between innings or eating edibles ;)
The "look" he gives me is one where he thinks he doesn't have to give a full effort. I truly believe that if he continues on as he has been, when he retires, people will look back and think, "What could have been?". He might have Hall of Fame talent but never be named an All Star.