6/29 - Wildwoocoach meets Possum

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

6/29 - Wildwoocoach meets Possum

Post by Possum »

It's not often that we get to meet another poster in person. Wildwood and I discuss the lineup for every Bucs game over the phone. We never met in person so when the chance to meet along with our wives we both took advantage of it. We spent about 2 1/2 hours talking Bucs and OBN. He told me some stories about Doc & Surg that had us rolling on the floor laughing.
Being friends like this can mean a lot so I encourage others from OBN to give it a try.
Let's Go Bucs
Surgnbuck

Re: 6/29 - Wildwoocoach meets Possum

Post by Surgnbuck »

going back to my AOL days, and then the Pirates board from the MLB site, I've always tried to meet people from online that seemed pretty real, even if we had some disagreements.

I took advantage of having season tickets throughout the years to take an opportunity to meet people visiting the Burgh from afar, buy hooking them up with tickets on their visit, for meet and greet. I've met folks in Wisconsin at Miller Park, at Waldameer Park in Erie, and of course here locally. Doc and I played catch on the field and did the batting cage thing at PNC. We also were part of a large group that met up for a game, we called it something I hope Doc remembers, because we tried to do it the first Friday game after the trade deadline. Me and another fellow that used to do the game write ups on the PMB exchanged gifts through the mail, he lived in California.

We had the PMB Open golf outing, and Doc even made a trophy that would be passed on to the winner each year. There's nothing better than having a guy riding with another who he threatened to break the other guys hip at one of them. That's one way to take some of the more heated discussions in a better light. I beleive one year we had something like 12-14 golfers from the message board show up. The fellow I mentioned about from California even donated a Ronny Paulino bobblehead that was to go to the guy with the worst score each year; I don't know what happened to Ronny or the Parrot Jug (get it? Parrot Jug? As a take off on Claret Jug, that they give for The Open every year?)

Of course, sometimes things can go sideways with some people that you misread. I for one thought another guy wanted to play a pro wrestling kind of persona with each other, I was wrong about that, and he thought I turned into a complete jerk, and I thought he did too. He was always gracious enough though to buy all of the tickets for that Friday game, knowing there was a chance he'd eat some of those tickets.

There was the Summit meetings, where I first met guys from the PMB, when Kovie was in town for business. We also had a Westmoreland County Summit meeting, with all of us guys from Cow County getting together at Texas Roadhouse in Greensburg.

There were a number of us that met up before and during the 2013 Wild Card game at PNC Park. Man, we felt like royalty back in the day for being the lucky few from the board to go to the game. Best of all was Anita, I don't remember her screen name from the PMB, we would meet up almost every time we were at the same game for ice cream at the Sweet Spot behind home plate. (she had tickets the section just behind the visitors dugout, mine were in 328 then 321 at the time). There was a gent from Ohio that had a 20 game plan who's seats moved around, and we would meet up similarly, and if the stars all lined up, the three of us would meet. They loved getting to meet my little Mister Man, he was always so chill and Anita especially loved his red hair.

Hoping to meed The Wizard in a couple of weeks actually myself. I think people who do these message boards should try and meet, because when you put a human touch to it, I think some of the bitterness that can pop up on a message board can be toned down quite a bit.

It's good to get to know people for real. I'm not a scaredy cat, I don't just go ahead and meet every casual poster. I have common sense. Plus, being younger then all the really old guys, I tend to be in the middle of the age differences, because I kind of bridge between the guys who cut their teeth on the 50's and early 60's Pirates, and those who come after the 1979 team. My coming of age with the Pirates is around the 1967 team going forward, and that happening while living in Southern California surrounded by all of those Dodger fans, and with superstars like Koufax and Drysdale. That's because of my mother's local roots. She was a die hard Pittsburgh fan throughout. She had to worship the 1960 team from South Carolina, the 1971 team from Nevada, and the Steelers first two Super Bowls from California. So glad we moved back to Western PA for a proper true Burgh life grounding, and her being home finally when her beloved Pittsburgh teams won championships.

That's why I like to meet and greet. Brings back memories of my mom, and how she absolutely proseltized everything Pittsburgh!
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surg, was Anita known as Culli on the PMB?
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

You brought back some fond memories, Surge. We referred to the game after the Trade Deadline as the Anti-Christmas Game because the Pirates would always give players away, not receive them. The golf outings were fun for those who could manage to attend them. It was great meeting guys at games, for lunch, or at the park. And getting to play catch in the outfield at PNC Park was a real treat. It was kind of you to take me that night.

The PMB was incredibly active, and filled with all kinds of characters, but I'm glad I found OnlyBucs as it's a good place to have landed. It's not at all as contentious as the PMB, which could be both ridiculous and amusing at the same time, but it allows a person to speak his mind knowing he's not going to be attacked or humiliated for doing so. I would like for there to be more lengthy, deeper discussions here, but I think those develop as a result of what the Pirates are doing. If they're really bad or really good, there's more participation. When they're mediocre, as they have been for a couple of years, I think the overall interest of the posters wanes.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:25 am Surg, was Anita known as Culli on the PMB?
That's what I was thinking. She was the sweetest person, and a great fan.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:40 am
Bobster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:25 am Surg, was Anita known as Culli on the PMB?
If that's her, I met her and her husband at PNC Park once (probably about 15 years ago). I seem to remember they were sitting behind home plate. I think she went by "Nita." And earlier this season I was commenting on another site (can't recall which one but probably DK Sports) and a "Culli" replied "hi, Bobster." She didn't comment further but I guess she's still around.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:00 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:40 am
If that's her, I met her and her husband at PNC Park once (probably about 15 years ago). I seem to remember they were sitting behind home plate. I think she went by "Nita." And earlier this season I was commenting on another site (can't recall which one but probably DK Sports) and a "Culli" replied "hi, Bobster." She didn't comment further but I guess she's still around.
I'd love for her to discover this site and start posting. She knows her baseball.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Yes that's her
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc I agree this site is the best one. That other one I got kicked off was a mess. Twas a blessing in disguise
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Not to rain on your parade but it's obvious Wildwoodcoach meeting Possum jinxed the Atlanta series.