Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3. Cervelli

2. Jaso

1. Williams
CarolinaBucco

Monday August 7th: Three Stars

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Trevor Williams ... straight dealin'.

And he has been dealin' for quite some time now.

VERY impressive.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Williams is no fluke. He was a 2nd rd pick in 2013 and put up good AAA stats. He was compensation for Marlins taking Jim Benedict, so he wasn't some scrub. He was also the best by far in the ST "competition" for the 5th starter spot awarded to Glasnow with about a 7 ERA. He's only given up more than 3 runs once since June 16. And he's only 25. I'm thinking the Marlins are wishing they could have held onto him.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

His velocity was down, though. He was throwing 89-91. Have to see if that continues. Not a concern if he pitches well, but I wonder if he is wearing down a bit.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I hope Kontos can be a part of the back end of the bullpen. He looked good with just ten pitches.

I loved how Cervelli was rushing Nicasio. It worked. Nicasio can be a little head case at times if he doesn't get his calls.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

565354525A5049545D4E48453C0 wrote: His velocity was down, though.  He was throwing 89-91.   Have to see if that continues.   Not a concern if he pitches well, but I wonder if he is wearing down a bit.

He's main offering is the slider right? Isn't that pitch more effective when the arm is tired? (More movement)
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think the sinker is the one that is more effective when a pitchers arm is tired.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: Williams is no fluke. He was a 2nd rd pick in 2013 and put up good AAA stats. He was compensation for Marlins taking Jim Benedict, so he wasn't some scrub. He was also the best by far in the ST "competition" for the 5th starter spot awarded to Glasnow with about a 7 ERA. He's only given up more than 3 runs once since June 16. And he's only 25. I'm thinking the Marlins are wishing they could have held onto him.

Was this a good trade overall?

The Pirates pitching has got worse since Benedict left. Was that due to him or the personnel? Was Benedict even replaced by the Pirates? Do they have a VP of Pitching Development, the title the Marlins gave to Benedict?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: Williams is no fluke. He was a 2nd rd pick in 2013 and put up good AAA stats. He was compensation for Marlins taking Jim Benedict, so he wasn't some scrub. He was also the best by far in the ST "competition" for the 5th starter spot awarded to Glasnow with about a 7 ERA. He's only given up more than 3 runs once since June 16. And he's only 25. I'm thinking the Marlins are wishing they could have held onto him.

Was this a good trade overall?

The Pirates pitching has got worse since Benedict left.  Was that due to him or the personnel?  Was Benedict even replaced by the Pirates?  Do they have a VP of Pitching Development, the title the Marlins gave to Benedict?

to be fair, "VP of Pitching Development" was a made-up title created to lure Benedict away.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Kuhl, Williams ... and Brault each with 7 innings of shutout ball in the last week.

Looking forward to Kuhl tonight. All three of these pitchers seem to be making good progress.