Pirates resign Yoshi

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by Ecbucs »

he Pirates are re-signing first baseman/corner outfielder Yoshi Tsutsugo, reports Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Twitter link). It’s a one-year, $4MM guarantee, per the report. The deal is pending a physical.

4 million isn't bad.
fjk090852-7

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Sounds like a good deal for both parties. I expect the DH to be agreed upon in the upcoming CBA.
Surgnbuck

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by Surgnbuck »

Well our household is certainly ecstatic!
Surgnbuck

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by Surgnbuck »

MLB Trade Rumors estimated Colin Moran would be getting 4 million as an arbitration player.

If true, I think this means the end of Moran in Pittsburgh. Looks like the Pirates pushed the money to the other side of the table.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Good signing by Cherington. I don't see the Pirates using him in RF next year, not that it was a mistake to see if he could handle the position. That's part of what last year was for: experimentation. This could mean Yoshi becoming the regular 1Bman, and/or DH if the NL adopts that, with Moran being dealt away. That provides an opportunity for a young, righthanded power hitter to platoon at 1B and then take on the position full time in '23 if Yoshi is only here for the one year.
GreenWeenie

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree on the good signing. A bit surprised that Tsutsugo would agree to a one-year deal. All it takes is one team out there to offer longer. Could be gambling on himself, which I like when players are willing to do it. Unlike me, Ben gets some shopping out of the way early.
Bobster21

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm surprised but pleased he returned. I suspect GW is correct in that Yoshi is gambling on himself. It's possible that the market for him was not as good as he hoped, given his success in a SSS. I wonder if the Pirates only offered a 1 year deal or if he was unwilling to accept more than a 1 year deal from them in hopes of putting himself in a better position for a FA contract the following year.

I think this means Moran will be moved. He's not much more than a placeholder until someone better comes along. A .260-.270 hitter with very modest power (career high 13 HRs) and an average 1Bman and poor 3Bman. Yoshi looked adequate at 1B and needs to avoid RF. Of course, being on a 1 year contract, if he is having a good season he will attract interest from contending teams at the TDL so he may not last the season as a Pirate.
mouse

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by mouse »

I would agree that Moran is not long for the team. I suspect they will use the DH slot mainly as a place to give a starter a day off without losing the bat from the lineup, rather than having Yoshi there full time.
WildwoodDave2

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4F4D575147220 wrote: I would agree that Moran is not long for the team. I suspect they will use the DH slot mainly as a place to give a starter a day off without losing the bat from the lineup, rather than having Yoshi there full time.
A nice Thanksgiving gift for us Buc Fans ( I hope)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirates resign Yoshi

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7D7F656375100 wrote: I would agree that Moran is not long for the team. [highlight]I suspect they will use the DH slot mainly as a place to give a starter a day off[/highlight] without losing the bat from the lineup, rather than having Yoshi there full time.

I don't believe for a minute that Nutting will pay for a legitimate DH because of the expense. The fourth outfielder or a reserve corner infielder will serve in that capacity, putting the club further behind its competition.