Random MLB fun facts

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Surgnbuck »

Here's one I just found, and for as contemporary as it is, I'm surprised I never heard it before.

CC Sabathia led BOTH leagues in complete game shutouts in 2008. He was tied for the AL lead with two complete game shutouts when he was traded to the Brewers and remained tied for first, and had 3 complete game shutouts with the Brewers, to lead the NL.
ArnoldRothstein

Random MLB fun facts

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

There were many people who played for both the Expos and Nats. Livan Hernandez was Opening Day starter for each team in consecutive years.
Bobster21

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Bobster21 »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: Only one guy for the Expos and Nationals? What am I missing here, weren't they the Expos one year, Nationals the next? Seems like a whole team would be part of that.

I wondered the same thing.  If I recall, the Expos kind of eased out of Montreal by playing maybe a couple dozen games in Puerto Rico for a couple of seasons before permanently locating in Washington.  Maybe that’s why it seems like they closed shop in Canada one year and then started up in DC the next.  Even still, it’s pretty amazing that they changed out their whole roster, except for Vidro, over a three year period.
A lot of 2004 Expos became 2005 Nationals.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/2004.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/2005.shtml
2drfischer@gmail.c

Random MLB fun facts

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

173A37262130276764550 wrote: Only one guy for the Expos and Nationals? What am I missing here, weren't they the Expos one year, Nationals the next? Seems like a whole team would be part of that.

I wondered the same thing.  If I recall, the Expos kind of eased out of Montreal by playing maybe a couple dozen games in Puerto Rico for a couple of seasons before permanently locating in Washington.  Maybe that’s why it seems like they closed shop in Canada one year and then started up in DC the next.  Even still, it’s pretty amazing that they changed out their whole roster, except for Vidro, over a three year period.
A lot of 2004 Expos became 2005 Nationals.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MON/2004.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/2005.shtml

When I Googled it, the first thing that came up was that Vidro was the only player to play for both teams. Who knew the Internet can’t be trusted?
Surgnbuck

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Surgnbuck »

Don Mattingly and Kirby Puckett played their entire careers during Cal Ripken Jr.'s consecutive games played streak.
Bobster21

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Bobster21 »

Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak ran from May 30, 1982 until September 20, 1998. During that time he also set a consecutive innings streak. He played every inning of every game from June 5, 1982 until the 8th inning on September 14, 1987. A total of 8,264 consecutive innings.

If Derek Shelton had been his manager, the streak would have ended at about 3, or the first day after having a good game. ;)
Bobster21

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Bobster21 »

As a rookie in 1941, the Phillies Danny Murtaugh led the NL with 18 SBs. He also led MLB with 13 caught stealings. The Phillies were 43-111 that year.
WildwoodDave2

Random MLB fun facts

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak ran from May 30, 1982 until September 20, 1998. During that time he also set a consecutive innings streak. He played every inning of every game from June 5, 1982 until the 8th inning on September 14, 1987. A total of 8,264 consecutive innings.

If Derek Shelton had been his manager, the streak would have ended at about 3, or the first day after having a good game.  ;)
You beat me to it Bobster
Bobster21

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Bobster21 »

6E50555D4E56565D7D584F5C0B390 wrote: Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak ran from May 30, 1982 until September 20, 1998. During that time he also set a consecutive innings streak. He played every inning of every game from June 5, 1982 until the 8th inning on September 14, 1987. A total of 8,264 consecutive innings.

If Derek Shelton had been his manager, the streak would have ended at about 3, or the first day after having a good game.  ;)
You beat me to it Bobster
The manager who ended the innings streak was his father, Cal Ripken Sr. Everyone knew it couldn't go on forever so his father ended it in the 8th inning of an 18-3 loss in September.

More fun facts:

Cal Ripken Sr. was fired as manager after losing the first 6 games the following year (1988). He was replaced by Frank Robinson. Under Robinson, the Orioles lost the next 15 games to begin the season 0-21. Former Pirate Joe Orsulak was part of that team. Also, a rookie Oriole pitcher named Curt Schilling made his MLB debut that September.
ArnoldRothstein

Random MLB fun facts

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Former Pirate Joe Orsulak was part of that team

Always liked Orsulak, but he became one of my favorite players after he left Pittsburgh. After his leg injury with the Pirates, he couldn't play center or steal bases anymore, and those things were pretty much his game. He reestablished himself with the awful Orioles, and then hung on by refusing to have an off year for eight consecutive years. Batting .260 to .289 every year, he batted 3756 times after he left Pittsburgh and collected his last check at 35.