Upcoming schedule after the Mets series…

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Things are going to get really tough for the Pirates after these 2 games with the Mets. The Pirates play 26 games before the All Star Break and 17 of them are on the road. They consist of 3 games at the Cubs, 3 at the Brewers, 4 at the Marlins, 4 at the Dodgers, and 3 at Arizona. So these next 2 games with the Mets Saturday and Sunday you want to win. The Mets are kind of a mess right now and don’t have Alonso so they are both very winnable games. If you can get these two somehow and move to 35-29 and let’s say you can somehow just play .500 ball in that 26 game stretch and go 13-13 the Pirates would be 48-42 going into the All Star Break 90 games into the season with 72 games left to play and most likely in a playoff position.

So just wanted to take a quick sneak peek what is ahead for this Pirates team these next 3-4 weeks before the All Star Break. It will not be an easy stretch of games and we are gonna find out a lot more about this team these next 26 games about how good they truly are.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

We'll find out a lot about opponents between now and then, too.  They're just as concerned about us as we are of them.  Maybe even more.

It's not only baseball, but it's the revised playoff structure combined with the more balanced schedules.

More clubs have a chance to get into the post-seasons.

Teams can't make up as much ground with their own divisions.  Games against teams in other divisions mean a lot.

It's duking it out for position.  Then, all hell breaks out in August.

Can't wait.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The only team that worries me in that schedule is Arizona, they seem to have the Pirates number.

The Pirates are 2 games over at home, 2 games over on the road. Of the splits I see from the standings the two most significant ones are these: 3-1 against the NL East, 10-4 against the NL Central, and 9-6 against the NL West. That's 22-11. However, they are 11-18 vs. the American League.

There are no games against the American League in that stretch.

It will all boil down to the starting pitching. Keller and Contreras have to get back to form. They need more innings from Ortiz. Oviedo has to stay on par. Hill has to continue to eat innings.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7E59484C49546B5F484949542D0 wrote: Things are going to get really tough for the Pirates after these 2 games with the Mets. The Pirates play 26 games before the All Star Break and 17 of them are on the road. They consist of 3 games at the Cubs, 3 at the Brewers, 4 at the Marlins, 4 at the Dodgers, and 3 at Arizona. So these next 2 games with the Mets Saturday and Sunday you want to win. The Mets are kind of a mess right now and don’t have Alonso so they are both very winnable games. If you can get these two somehow and move to 35-29 and let’s say you can somehow just play .500 ball in that 26 game stretch and go 13-13 the Pirates would be 48-42 going into the All Star Break 90 games into the season with 72 games left to play and most likely in a playoff position.

So just wanted to take a quick sneak peek what is ahead for this Pirates team these next 3-4 weeks before the All Star Break. It will not be an easy stretch of games and we are gonna find out a lot more about this team these next 26 games about how good they truly are.

Nice idea to look ahead to see what's coming.  For me, I want them to avoid being swept in any of the series on the road, and then to win two of three at home.  For this team at its stage of development, that would be a winning formula.  It's reasonable to win at least one of three games in a series, baseball being what it is, and winning two of three at home is realistic, even for average teams.  If the Bucs can do that between now and the Break, they're legitimate contenders.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2B7D6B7F706A7A717C6B597E74787075377A190 wrote: Things are going to get really tough for the Pirates after these 2 games with the Mets. The Pirates play 26 games before the All Star Break and 17 of them are on the road. They consist of 3 games at the Cubs, 3 at the Brewers, 4 at the Marlins, 4 at the Dodgers, and 3 at Arizona. So these next 2 games with the Mets Saturday and Sunday you want to win. The Mets are kind of a mess right now and don’t have Alonso so they are both very winnable games. If you can get these two somehow and move to 35-29 and let’s say you can somehow just play .500 ball in that 26 game stretch and go 13-13 the Pirates would be 48-42 going into the All Star Break 90 games into the season with 72 games left to play and most likely in a playoff position.

Nice idea to look ahead to see what's coming.  For me, I want them to avoid being swept in any of the series on the road, and then to win two of three at home.  For this team at its stage of development, that would be a winning formula.  It's reasonable to win at least one of three games in a series, baseball being what it is, and winning two of three at home is realistic, even for average teams.  If the Bucs can do that between now and the Break, they're legitimate contenders.
Does that mean the bucs could be buyers? If so, do you think Bob is getting worried? :D
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

744A4F47544C4C476742554611230 wrote: Things are going to get really tough for the Pirates after these 2 games with the Mets. The Pirates play 26 games before the All Star Break and 17 of them are on the road. They consist of 3 games at the Cubs, 3 at the Brewers, 4 at the Marlins, 4 at the Dodgers, and 3 at Arizona. So these next 2 games with the Mets Saturday and Sunday you want to win. The Mets are kind of a mess right now and don’t have Alonso so they are both very winnable games. If you can get these two somehow and move to 35-29 and let’s say you can somehow just play .500 ball in that 26 game stretch and go 13-13 the Pirates would be 48-42 going into the All Star Break 90 games into the season with 72 games left to play and most likely in a playoff position.

Does that mean the bucs could be buyers? If so, do you think Bob is getting worried? :D

I honestly can't see the Pirates being buyers at the trade deadline. At least, I hope not. It's going to be a seller's market. With expanded playoffs plus both central divisions being rather weak, only a handful of teams are truly "out of it." I don't anticipate that will change much between now and August 1. In other words, there may be quite a few teams who aren't selling. Everyone wants more pitching. Combining those two factors mean that teams can ask for a king's ransom. I don't want to see another Archer for Glasnow/Meadows/Baz deal go down.

The Pirates big deadline acquisition will be gettin Cruz back in early August, hopefully.

That said, they DO have a lot of middle infielders. Maybe someone will trade a back-end starter for Liover Peguero or something. But I really don't see much more than that this year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

350B0E06150D0D062603140750620 wrote: Things are going to get really tough for the Pirates after these 2 games with the Mets. The Pirates play 26 games before the All Star Break and 17 of them are on the road. They consist of 3 games at the Cubs, 3 at the Brewers, 4 at the Marlins, 4 at the Dodgers, and 3 at Arizona. So these next 2 games with the Mets Saturday and Sunday you want to win. The Mets are kind of a mess right now and don’t have Alonso so they are both very winnable games. If you can get these two somehow and move to 35-29 and let’s say you can somehow just play .500 ball in that 26 game stretch and go 13-13 the Pirates would be 48-42 going into the All Star Break 90 games into the season with 72 games left to play and most likely in a playoff position.

I’ve said before that if by July 15 the team is still in a strong, competitive position, BC should go for it.  It would probably be a year ahead of schedule but it seems to me a run at it does two important things: it gives the young guys a taste of pennant-chase pressure so that they’re better prepared for the future, and it shows the players the Front Office will support them in the years to come.

Of course, the downside is that the Pirates will have to trade away good players, likely from the minor leagues.  That’s where the bulk of the organization’s talent is, the guys who were set to arrive over the next couple of years to push the team into the playoffs.  So I wouldn’t be surprised if BC didn’t try to add to the team in July, but it would be disappointing if the team is a legitimate contender.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

683E283C332939323F281A3D373B333674395A0 wrote: Things are going to get really tough for the Pirates after these 2 games with the Mets. The Pirates play 26 games before the All Star Break and 17 of them are on the road. They consist of 3 games at the Cubs, 3 at the Brewers, 4 at the Marlins, 4 at the Dodgers, and 3 at Arizona. So these next 2 games with the Mets Saturday and Sunday you want to win. The Mets are kind of a mess right now and don’t have Alonso so they are both very winnable games. If you can get these two somehow and move to 35-29 and let’s say you can somehow just play .500 ball in that 26 game stretch and go 13-13 the Pirates would be 48-42 going into the All Star Break 90 games into the season with 72 games left to play and most likely in a playoff position.

I’ve said before that if by July 15 the team is still in a strong, competitive position, BC should go for it.  It would probably be a year ahead of schedule but it seems to me a run at it does two important things: it gives the young guys a taste of pennant-chase pressure so that they’re better prepared for the future, and it shows the players the Front Office will support them in the years to come.

Of course, the downside is that the Pirates will have to trade away good players, likely from the minor leagues.  That’s where the bulk of the organization’s talent is, the guys who were set to arrive over the next couple of years to push the team into the playoffs.  So I wouldn’t be surprised if BC didn’t try to add to the team in July, but it would be disappointing if the team is a legitimate contender.
I think that depends on what "IT" is. If BC really has a good plan and is developing players to make it come to fruition in a year or 2, then dealing away some of those players for TDL rentals for a push in 2023 only makes sense if they think they can win it all this year. If the goal is just to get to the post season where they don't stack up well against the other contenders, then they would regret trading away what were key players for the future just for the momentary rush of being a post season team this year. I don't see the Pirates as serious contenders even if they get into the post season. I don't buy the "just get in and anything can happen" theory. The rules require a certain amount of teams to get in. That doesn't mean they are all quality teams with a legit chance to win it all. I think BC would have to assess the situation near the TDL. If they aren't ready, then dealing good prospects for a momentary feel good rush would be a huge mistake.
2drfischer@gmail.c

002D20313627307073420 wrote: Things are going to get really tough for the Pirates after these 2 games with the Mets. The Pirates play 26 games before the All Star Break and 17 of them are on the road. They consist of 3 games at the Cubs, 3 at the Brewers, 4 at the Marlins, 4 at the Dodgers, and 3 at Arizona. So these next 2 games with the Mets Saturday and Sunday you want to win. The Mets are kind of a mess right now and don’t have Alonso so they are both very winnable games. If you can get these two somehow and move to 35-29 and let’s say you can somehow just play .500 ball in that 26 game stretch and go 13-13 the Pirates would be 48-42 going into the All Star Break 90 games into the season with 72 games left to play and most likely in a playoff position.

I think that depends on what "IT" is. If BC really has a good plan and is developing players to make it come to fruition in a year or 2, then dealing away some of those players for TDL rentals for a push in 2023 only makes sense if they think they can win it all this year. If the goal is just to get to the post season where they don't stack up well against the other contenders, then they would regret trading away what were key players for the future just for the momentary rush of being a post season team this year. I don't see the Pirates as serious contenders even if they get into the post season. I don't buy the "just get in and anything can happen" theory. The rules require a certain amount of teams to get in. That doesn't mean they are all quality teams with a legit chance to win it all. I think BC would have to assess the situation near the TDL. If they aren't ready, then dealing good prospects for a momentary feel good rush would be a huge mistake.

The team has a lot to prove in the next five to six weeks that its a legitimate contender. I agree that if BC assesses the team isn’t good enough, he’s not going to be willing to deal away his best minor league players. He’ll take criticism from the media and fans but he doesn’t seem like the type who’ll let that bother him. If the team fades during the last two months, he’ll be vindicated.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I believe a lot would have to change over the next month+ for the Bucs to consider serious buying moves, which means trading some of the team's better young prospects for potential difference makers. I would not view trading players like Mitchell, Swagerty, and Smith-Njiba for a so-so reliever as that type of move.

The current Pirate starting staff has talent, but it is very inconsistent. To be buyers, Keller would need to reassert the dominance that he was exhibiting prior to his last 3 starts, Oviedo would need to continue to improve, and at least one of Contreras or Ortiz would need to demonstrate that they are decent major league starters.

The heart of the bullpen has generally pitched well, but it is still only mid-June. Moreta, Ramirez, and Hernandez have never pitched this well, and as Surg noted, Holderman is looking a bit more human. Bednar has looked good, but has experienced some injury issues later in past seasons. I don't take it as a good sign when the Bucs choose to go with 12 pitchers on the roster and to add an outfielder or infielder who rarely plays. I believe one of the reasons they go with a 'short staff' is because there is no one in the minors who they believe warrants being on the major league roster (recent failures of Burrows and DeJong). In short, the heart of the bullpen needs to continue to perform well, and another one of the relievers needs to step it up.

There is talent among the position players, but there also is a whole lot of inconsistency, and the team is short on power. The offense needs to show that they can regularly compete. Reynolds needs to step it up, Cutch needs to continue his rebound performance, Hayes needs to show that he is more than an 8 game streak hitter, Suwinski needs to continue to mature as a hitter, and the 3 middle infielders need to build on their current hitting. I have little hope that Santana will hit much better than his current stats (although I love his defense and cannot remember so many DP's started by a first baseman), and have no faith that Choi will provide any bump in production when he returns.

On the whole, even if the Pirates continue to hang around a potential play-off spot, I believe the team will generally stand pat and hope that some combination of potential additions like Choi, Cruz, Davis, Rodriguez, Gonzalez, Crowe, and Priester would help. I believe the most likely move is a trade for a reliever that would involve the likes of the outfielders mentioned above and perhaps other depth players in the minors. It would be great if Garcia could miraculously recover and provide a small bump.