Back to Henry Davis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Back to Henry Davis

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

I haven't said much regarding Henry Davis playing Right Field and being the DH instead of Catching. I have been reading what other baseball people have said. I read what former Manager Joe Maddon said about Davis. He has only caught 48 games in the Minors. Batting and Fielding is tough enough in the Majors without

putting someone in the most difficult position in baseball. He goes on to say he realizes fan frustration with Hedges and his anemic batting average. He expects Davis will be catching after he gets his feet on the ground
DemDog

Back to Henry Davis

Post by DemDog »

Joe Maddon is no dummy. I think Davis should go to the instructional league this winter and then play some winter ball or go to one of the Driveline Academy's catching instructional camps.
WildwoodDave2

Back to Henry Davis

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

54757D547F77100 wrote: Joe Maddon is no dummy.  I think Davis should go to the instructional league this winter and then play some winter ball or go to one of the Driveline Academy's catching instructional camps.
Good idea. I also expect him to be learning a lot from Hedges

while he is here. Except of course, catchers interference :D ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

Back to Henry Davis

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I would think that Davis would feel more comfortable in a game doing what he’s done for most of his baseball life, playing catcher. He has to be more uneasy playing RF in parks he’s seeing for the first time, all of which have different dimensions and oddities regarding the fences. That’s the opposite of being behind the plate, where it’s the same in all 30 parks.
Bobster21

Back to Henry Davis

Post by Bobster21 »

5866636B7860606B4B6E796A3D0F0 wrote: I haven't said much regarding Henry Davis playing Right Field and being the DH instead of Catching. I have been reading what other baseball people have said. I read what former Manager Joe Maddon said about Davis. He has only caught 48 games in the Minors. Batting and Fielding is tough enough in the Majors without

putting someone in the most difficult position in baseball. He goes on to say he realizes fan frustration with Hedges and his anemic batting average. He expects Davis will be catching after he gets his feet on the ground
In college he only caught. He started 78 games at catcher in the minors. I think that's where he's most comfortable. He only started 17 games in the OF in the minors. He should be catching.
WildwoodDave2

Back to Henry Davis

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

143934252233246467560 wrote: I haven't said much regarding Henry Davis playing Right Field and being the DH instead of Catching. I have been reading what other baseball people have said. I read what former Manager Joe Maddon said about Davis. He has only caught 48 games in the Minors. Batting and Fielding is tough enough in the Majors without

In college he only caught. He started 78 games at catcher in the minors. I think that's where he's most comfortable. He only started 17 games in the OF in the minors. He should be catching.
Just telling you what the article said regarding number of games. Remember he was out a lot with injuries. I am sure he feels more comfortable catching but it is also more demanding physically and mentally. Much more to think about just coming up. I am sure he will be catching soon
WildwoodDave2

Back to Henry Davis

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

613721353A20303B362113343E323A3F7D30530 wrote: I would think that Davis would feel more comfortable in a game doing what he’s done for most of his baseball life, playing catcher.  He has to be more uneasy playing RF in parks he’s seeing for the first time, all of which have different dimensions and oddities regarding the fences.  That’s the opposite of being behind the plate, where it’s the same in all 30 parks.
No argument there. We may not know the whole story.
Surgnbuck

Back to Henry Davis

Post by Surgnbuck »

5866636B7860606B4B6E796A3D0F0 wrote: Joe Maddon is no dummy.  I think Davis should go to the instructional league this winter and then play some winter ball or go to one of the Driveline Academy's catching instructional camps.

while he is here. Except of course, catchers interference  :D ;D
Hedges teaching, it runs in the family. Here's his cousin teaching the finer points of hockey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_w4MV_LwMw
WildwoodDave2

Back to Henry Davis

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

301611040D01160008630 wrote: Joe Maddon is no dummy.  I think Davis should go to the instructional league this winter and then play some winter ball or go to one of the Driveline Academy's catching instructional camps.

while he is here. Except of course, catchers interference  :D ;D
Hedges teaching, it runs in the family. Here's his cousin teaching the finer points of hockey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_w4MV_LwMw
:D ;D :D ;D Slap Shot- One of my favorite movies
GreenWeenie

Back to Henry Davis

Post by GreenWeenie »

If that Cardinal job opens up, and Maddon goes there or anywhere else, then he has reason to compliment the Pirates for what they do.

Call me skeptical, but I wont take "Mr. Plantar Fasciatis" for his word every time.