Bucs Annual All-Star representative

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Post by Javy »

Well, once again, no Pirate is selected to start the All-Star game.

So, in what has become an afterthought to the process, the question being asked is: "Who will get selected to represent the Pirates?"

From where I sit (in Southern New Jersey), there are 3 possible choices.

1. David Bednar

2. Mitch Keller

3. Andrew McCutchen

Bednar is an easy choice - among the leaders in saves, despite not having consistent opportunities, and the Bucs lone selection last year. Likely the selection again.

Keller has had a really good year, but his recent struggles will likely take him out of consideration despite righting the ship recently. He remains among the league leaders in strikeouts, and is up there in wins. Another strong start could swing his selection.

Cutch is easily the sentimental choice, especially with his recent hot streak. In what is shaping up as a possible Comeback Player of the year campaign, he leads the team in HR's and is among the leagues DH leaders.

With Shelton being selected as bench coach for Rob Thompson, this may be one of those years where the Pirates actually get more than one selection.

Feel free to create a poll, but I'm going to go with 2 selections this year. Let's discuss!

With Bednar in competition with several other closers, I'll go with Mitch Keller and Cutch.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I think a solid case could be made for all three of them to be All Stars, but it might be asking too much for the Pirates to have more than two selections because the team isn't among the elite in the NL.  Bednar and Keller, in my view, definitely should be on the team.  McCutchen might be crowded out by other outfielders and DHers.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

I think Bednar will make it again. The sentimental favorite is Cutch. I'll go with him
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bednar and Cutch are my choices. Cutch is (as of today) 10th in BA in the NL, and 7th in OBP, so those are some arguments for him.

Bednar is a shoe in, they love relief pitchers, and he's one of the best.

I don't see Keller going because I can't see them taking 3 from the Bucs. If he goes, I think it will be at McCutchen's expense.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

If I had to bet it would be only Bednar.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think Keller gets in. He's 10th in ERA, 2nd in wins, 5th in WHIP, 3rd in innings pitched, 2nd in strikeouts and has a CG shutout. Bednar gets in and maybe Cutch.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Barring injury replacements, Keller is the Bucs lone ASG rep
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7B6C7A6A2F292E282E20190 wrote: If I had to bet it would be only Bednar.
you lose!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7D5B5C49404C5B4D452E0 wrote: Barring injury replacements, Keller is the Bucs lone ASG rep
Very surprised that Bednar wasn't selected
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

NL Central Reps:

Brewers- Devin Williams

Cards- Nolan Arenado (starter)

Cubs- Justin Steele, Marcus Stroman, Dansby Swanson

Pirates- Mitch Keller

Reds- Alexis Diaz

Someone needs to explain to me how the Cubs end up with three guys, none of who are starters