3. Corbin Carroll (L) RF

4. Christian Walker (R) 1B

5. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (R) LF

6. Emmanuel Rivera (R) 3B

7. Dominic Canzone (L) DH

8. Gabriel Moreno (R) C

9. Alek Thomas (L) CF

Kyle Nelson (L) SP

This looks like a Bullpen Game for the DBacks. Bucs lineup looks pretty good, especially with Castro and Hedges on the bench, the far away end of the bench.
ChillinStation

Official Game Thread - 7/8 - Bucs @ DBacks

Post by ChillinStation »

Davis needs to pick it up with the bat.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

When I first saw a LHP was starting for the D-backs, I was surprised with the Bucs lineup.

Then I went and checked on this guy. He's at best going 2 innings, he's done that twice. He's usually a one inning guy. This is his first time to start a game this season.

Also after seeing the lineup, I went to see the transactions listing for the Pirates, because I thought for sure this meant some changes, like possible Castro sent down to AAA.

Remember when Suwinski was an automatic out with a LHP? He's now hitting .233 vs. lefties as opposed to .239 against righties. His power is pretty much all against RHP. But his OPS vs. LHP is now .679 as he has a .329 OBP against them.

I really wish we didn't have so many guys out hurt right now. I'd love to see what the roster construction looks like with a healthy Cruz, Cutch, Bae, and Hayes. Also, throw Endy Rodriguez into that mix as well, because at some point you'd think the Pirates have to bring him up.

Pirates have score 54 runs in the last 11 games since being stifled in Miami.

The bullpen has been nothing but spectacular save for one individual- Roansy Contreras. In that 11 game span the bullpen has logged 37.2 IP and surrendered 14 earned runs, and ERA of 3.35. Now that doesn't exactly scream "spectacular" until you realize, Contreras gave up half of those 14 earned runs.

Seems every time something looks to be getting fixed, something else breaks down. Right now, the starting pitching has been the Pirates bugaboo. That and some very poor hitting with RISP, especially the two bases loaded, no outs situations when the Bucs couldn't score either time in a 2 run loss to Los Angeles.

So if you're full of doom and gloom, there are some excellent things to be looking at right now. Nick Gonzales is off to a terrific start. Jack Suwinski is back on the good streak side. Overall, they seem to be playing pretty good defensively, and once again, a tip of the cap to Captain Jack in centerfield. If you haven't been watching, or haven't gone back to see the replays even in the losses, he's been pretty darn good in CF.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Terrific first inning for Keller, just nine pitches. No score as we move to the 2nd.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Santana starts the 2nd by reaching on an error.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Choi strikes out. One down. Gonzales due up. Ginkel replaces Nelson for the D’Backs.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Gonzales strikes out on ball one..  The Bucs continue to do that too much.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Triolo bounces into a force play.  No score as the Snakes come to bat in the second.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Nice to see Mike Fetters, glad they showed a couple clips!
2drfischer@gmail.c

With one out, Gurriel walks on four pitches. There goes the perfect game.