Openers, Bullpen games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Openers, Bullpen games

Post by JollyRoger »

Right now, the Pirates do not have any viable starting pitchers.

The Angels destroyed Oviedo and Keller.

Yet when the Pirates employed a bullpen game against that same Angel lineup, they shut out the Angels 3-0.

The Angel announcers commented that it is difficult to adjust to seeing 3-4 different pitchers in your 3-4 at bats.

I have often wondered how a team would fare if they used that strategy for a majority of their games. Keeping 10 of their 13 pitchers available to pitch each game on a rotating schedule.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Openers, Bullpen games

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

45606363765D60686A7D0F0 wrote: Right now, the Pirates do not have any viable starting pitchers.

The Angels destroyed Oviedo and Keller.

Yet when the Pirates employed a bullpen game against that same Angel lineup, they shut out the Angels 3-0.

The Angel announcers commented that it is difficult to adjust to seeing 3-4 different pitchers in your 3-4 at bats.

I have often wondered how a team would fare if they used that strategy for a majority of their games. Keeping 10 of their 13 pitchers available to pitch each game on a rotating schedule.

I've wondered the same thing for several years. Is it possible to have a staff made up of 12-13 pitchers, some who can work two to three innings every two to three days and some who work an inning every one to two days? It'd probably be necessary to have several guys in the minors who are capable of coming up to give guys a rest for five or six days.

For a team like the Pirates, one unwilling to spend, money saved by not paying for starters could go toward acquiring offensive players.