2016 trade deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Piratefanbill

2016 trade deadline

Post by Piratefanbill »

Just wondering what you all think we might do at the trade deadline.
mouse

2016 trade deadline

Post by mouse »

I'm expecting them to be in the wildcard hunt but the end of July and to add maybe a relief pitcher (I assume this relates to trades with other teams). Most of what they need is available internally. The issue is experience in a pennant race. Sometimes teams prefer the veteran to the untested rookie in that situation.
SammyKhalifa

2016 trade deadline

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Id expect that the could also trade away small pieces. Not really fire sale not really standing pat. Hopefully they go on a big tear for the next month and I'm wrong.
DemDog

2016 trade deadline

Post by DemDog »

I think the Bucs need to see where they stand and what players they have who could bring back something worth having over the next few years. Of course there are some untouchables but even they can be had if the offer is way overwhelming.

One guy, Cutch, do we trade him now? After the season? Next years deadline? Not at all. He is the one guy who I seem to be hearing about being traded. Think doing it now the Bucs would be selling way low based on his performance this year. Have to think that this off-season he should be shopped, especially if we something out of Meadows the rest of this season.
Piratefanbill

2016 trade deadline

Post by Piratefanbill »

One guy, Cutch, do we trade him now?  After the season? Next years deadline?  Not at all.  He is the one guy who I seem to be hearing about being traded.  Think doing it now the Bucs would be selling way low based on his performance this year.  Have to think that this off-season he should be shopped, especially if we something out of Meadows the rest of this season

I would wait until 2018 to trade cutch.
UtahPirate

2016 trade deadline

Post by UtahPirate »

Last year they added small pieces who really paid off. JA Happ was really good and we got him pretty cheap. But we seem to love to protect our younger assets.

I don't think they'll go out on a limb this year as it just doesn't seem to be the Pirate way. The question is if we will actually trade some MLB roster guys? Can you be both a buyer and a seller at the deadline? I'd like to see it...

If we ever want to get something for Melancon, this is the time. But this bullpen has been so iffy, can we get something to solidify it, slide Watson into the closer slot and get something valuable for the longer term for Melancon?

If we bring Bell up then either Freese or Jaso is expendable. Do we move one of those two for a bullpen arm and bring Bell up for the rest of the year? Jaso seems to be struggling at the plate, but Freese might have some decent value to the right team. He's been steady and can play a couple of positions.

I'd like to see us go through some of the growing pains we surely face with call-ups -- Bell and Glasnow -- this season and maybe get something interesting at the deadline that solidifies us for next year.

It looks to be a sellers year with so many possible wildcard teams still in contention in the AL. Who knows what we might get. Melancon is a really decent chip...

Gunner, thanks! First post on the new board. Glad to be back!
PMike

2016 trade deadline

Post by PMike »

I think trading Jaso is a distinct possibility. Bell has really done all that you'd hope in the minors. Jaso has been a really solid piece, but could possibly net something.

At the end of the day, if they are going to do anything, it's going to have to be bullpen work. If they really wanted to be serious, they need to add a starter.
Docjon49

2016 trade deadline

Post by Docjon49 »

64454D644F47200 wrote:

One guy, Cutch, do we trade him now?  After the season? Next years deadline?  Not at all.  He is the one guy who I seem to be hearing about being traded.  Think doing it now the Bucs would be selling way low based on his performance this year.  Have to think that this off-season he should be shopped, especially if we something out of Meadows the rest of this season.

I think if they decide they're out of contention this year, they'll shop the one & two year contracts. At that point, Cutch will hit the 15-day to give him time to get himself together and rest that thumb, which I suspect is still nagging him. Hopefully he'll come back, be the Cutch of old, and maybe showcase himself for a winter trade.

2 years of Cutch should buy us a nice haul.
ChitownBucco

2016 trade deadline

Post by ChitownBucco »

I just don't see a buyer for Jaso

He is over exposed with this many AB's and has extreme platoon splits with almost zero power. He is not an upgrade for any team and not worth more than an A ball player for a team that may need some bench help. But even as a bench player he doesn't offer versatility. Joyce might have some value to team that may have some OF injuries in july

Pirates only 4 games out of wild card and they've actually made some of the biggest acquisitions in a few trade deadlines in the last few years as far as taking on the most $. So. Don't think we can just say it's not the pirate way to try to make something happen at the deadline anymore.
rucker59@gmail.com

2016 trade deadline

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5D7C696058617A697C6D080 wrote: ........

If we ever want to get something for Melancon, this is the time. But this bullpen has been so iffy, can we get something to solidify it, slide Watson into the closer slot get something valuable for the longer term for Melancon?

If we bring Bell up then either Freese or Jaso is expendable. Do we move one of those two for a bullpen arm and bring Bell up for the rest of the year? Jaso seems to be struggling at the plate, but Freese might have some decent value to the right team. He's been steady and can play a couple of positions.

I'd like to see us go through some of the growing pains we surely face with call-ups -- Bell and Glasnow -- this season and maybe get something interesting at the deadline that solidifies us for next year.

It looks to be a sellers year with so many possible wildcard teams still in contention in the AL. Who knows what we might get. Melancon is a really decent chip...

Gunner, thanks! First post on the new board. Glad to be back!

A couple of interesting comments to follow up on:

I had not thought of this, but I agree about Bell - he probably needs some meaningful bats this summer to prepare for NEXT year. So somebody has to go. My guess is Freese. Too bad, he's done a nice job.

I had not considered the idea that this could be a sellers market. That would certainly increase the value of Melancon. But if the Pirates are in the playoff hunt, can they possibly justify a trade? They may have to face Mark in a playoff situation....