Things the Bucs need to do now to prep for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

As usual Tim at P2 has a good First Pitch article today that will make you think a bit about the 2017 Bucs ans what they can do now to try and make it better.

Five Things the Pirates Need to do This Month to Prepare for 2017

This is a subscription only site so I hope that some of you subscribe and can read his article. You should subscribe because this is the best and broadest assessment of the kids in the Bucco organization.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

This is some of the worst work I've seen from that source, and that's saying something.

Outside of playing bell for John Jaso, something people who have been paying attention have been screaming about since July, there's not a difference making idea among them.

Alan Hanson? Drew Hutchison?

Who is kidding who? These guys arent successful in the MINORS

Quail

Post by Quail »

Point #1 in the article: Play Josh Bell at first base.

Of course Hurdle has David Freese playing first base tonight. ::)

Memo to Clint: I know Freese has good numbers against Leake but the Pirates would be better served for 2017 by getting Bell more MLB experience.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Glasnow should get a few starts i feel , but will need more seasoning at AAA next year .Unless Bucs want to make him a relief pitcher in 2017.

We need some power down in the minors...We have none. I would try to Key on the Astros and phillies AA TEAMS.Some serious bats that will be moved to AAA IN 2017.. We have to fill some spots with bats and trade pitching.

Glasnow for soon to be AAA PLAYER from Astros 3b, JB Davis looks good for a trade of prospects.Davis is blocked .Stros loaded with inf. Marte could work for them too

Marte to the Yanks for Clint Frazier + suspects could be good.Frazier will hit 30 + bombs in a few years and plays the game like Trout. Meadows a pussy always hurt .

Hell the phillies have all kinds of hitters .

The Deal is ..Kang / Cutch have 2 years left .

Cole 2 + more then we gotta trade him for sure .

Marte is so freakin valuable ....a 280 hitter who is hitting 300+ and can solidify a CF position on a team ready to make a run..But facts are he doesnt get much done for the Bucs...Sell High..

Build around Bell, Polanco ,Tallion ,Cole, Kuhl, Felipe R thats really all we have . :-[

Bell 1b

Polanco RF

Davis 3b

Meadows cf

C. Frazier rf

Kang 2b/3b

all young to win and lose together ...Cutch,Tabata, Pedro and Walker were supposed to grow up 2 gether and get a a WS..Its just didnt work ...But we were competitive ...So lets bring in a new group  8-)

RichD

Post by RichD »

I think we can move a solid position player or 2 and still be competitive in 2017 ...But dang look at the Cubs all the young batters are grooving it together in the same age range ...Cubs just added pitchers big money arms.

Well we are adding arms also ...this year some real good ones got a taste and , i feel and a couple on the way ...Home grown inexpensive ones ...Just need to let them get starts ...I feel more confident on our arms then the position players.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

754E444F63270 wrote: Glasnow should get a few starts i feel , but will need more seasoning at AAA next year .Unless Bucs want to make him a relief pitcher in 2017.

We need some power down in the minors...We have none. I would try to Key on the Astros and phillies AA TEAMS.Some serious bats that will be moved to AAA IN 2017.. We have to fill some spots with bats and trade pitching.

Glasnow for soon to be AAA PLAYER from Astros 3b, JB Davis looks good for a trade of prospects.Davis is blocked .Stros loaded with inf. Marte could work for them too

Marte to the Yanks for Clint Frazier + suspects could be good.Frazier will hit 30 + bombs in a few years and plays the game like Trout. Meadows a pussy always hurt .

Hell the phillies have all kinds of hitters .

The Deal is ..Kang / Cutch have 2 years left .

Cole 2 + more then we gotta trade him for sure .

Marte is so freakin valuable ....a 280 hitter who is hitting 300+ and can solidify a CF position on a team ready to make a run..But facts are he doesnt get much done for the Bucs...Sell High..

Build around  Bell, Polanco ,Tallion ,Cole, Kuhl, Felipe R thats really all we have . :-[

Bell 1b

Polanco RF

Davis 3b

Meadows cf

C. Frazier rf

Kang 2b/3b

all young to win and lose together ...Cutch,Tabata, Pedro and Walker were supposed to grow up 2 gether and get a a WS..Its just didnt work ...But we were competitive ...So lets bring in a new group  8-)

You and I may be the only ones, but I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

I'm in favor of moving Marte, Cole and Harrison, moving Bell to the OF and Frazier to 2nd and bring in a real 1st base. The return would be significant at both the major league level and in the minors.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

They aren't out of it yet. No reason to do these things yet. The best players should still be playing.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

2A232B3A344E0 wrote: This is some of the worst work I've seen from that source, and that's saying something.

Outside of playing bell for John Jaso, something people who have been paying attention have been screaming about since July, there's not a difference making idea among them.

Alan Hanson?  Drew Hutchison?

Who is kidding who?   These guys arent successful in the MINORS

Tim stated just a few weeks ago how the Pirates virtually had no projected holes for 2017. By my estimation the rotation looks like:

Cole

Taillon

After that... it's a collection of question marks and players a team who's supposed to contend should not be relying on to be part of the middle and back of the rotation.

The bullpen appears to be:

Watson

Rivero

Once again....after those two it's a collection of marginal players like Hughes and Nicasio.

2017 appears to be another bridge year.
Quail

Post by Quail »

7A5A4954553B0 wrote: This is some of the worst work I've seen from that source, and that's saying something.

Alan Hanson?  Drew Hutchison?

Who is kidding who?   These guys arent successful in the MINORS

Tim stated just a few weeks ago how the Pirates virtually had no projected holes for 2017.   By my estimation the rotation looks like:

Cole

Taillon

After that... it's a collection of question marks and players a team who's supposed to contend should not be relying on to be part of the middle and back of the rotation.

The bullpen appears to be:

Watson

Rivero

Once again....after those two it's a collection of marginal players like Hughes and Nicasio.

2017 appears to be another bridge year.

I'm pretty much convinced of this as well. Unless the Pirates make some significant trades to improve their roster what I see coming for 2017 is a very young and inexperienced starting pitching staff, a lineup lacking power, and an assembly of the usual assortment of reclamation arms from the MLB discard pile to fill out a bullpen with no proven closer. To hope that all three of those elements of the roster will work out well enough to make for a competitive team is a reach. For this to change the Pirates will have to do something uncharacteristic of them like spend money and/or trade top prospects.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F4B5F57523E0 wrote:

I'm pretty much convinced of this as well. Unless the Pirates make some significant trades to improve their roster what I see coming for 2017 is a very young and inexperienced starting pitching staff, a lineup lacking power, and an assembly of the usual assortment of reclamation arms from the MLB discard pile to fill out a bullpen with no proven closer. To hope that all three of those elements of the roster will work out well enough to make for a competitive team is a reach. For this to change the Pirates will have to do something uncharacteristic of them like spend money and/or trade top prospects.

I seriously doubt they will spend money. Nor will they trade top prospects to get a player who will require a lot of money. Their only plan is to hope all elements come together including inexperienced players and reclamation projects. Maybe Bell and Kang can provide more power next year. Maybe the rotation does well. Maybe a rebuilt bullpen does well. But it's a lot to hope for when you don't bring in proven players to fill holes because you don't want to pay them. But this is all we can ever expect from the Nutting regime. It worked well enough for 98 wins and a quick WC exit last year but as we now see, that approach can just as easily result in a .500 season.