Nova contract talks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Nova contract talks

Post by Ecbucs »

according to this the Bucs have made a couple offers:

http://www.thescore.com/news/1107120

he Pirates have made a pair of extension offers to the pending free agent, reports Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, citing sources.

Although the figures being exchanged aren't clear, a source said Nova's representatives are looking for a deal in the range of [highlight]$70 million over five years.[/highlight]

According to a source, the Pirates made a second offer after learning of Nova's price tag, and talks are ongoing.
DemDog

Nova contract talks

Post by DemDog »

It's a start. Now lets see how things turn out. Will be interested in knowing what others think of the length of any extension with Nova. Is 5 yrs too many?
fjk090852-7

Nova contract talks

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think five years is too long. I would like 3 years and a club option,but my guess it will be 4 years for a salary about 52 million.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova contract talks

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I wouldn't mind five years a few years ago, but with the talent right now, five years is a long time.

I really don't see him getting that.  He is decent, but not a top of the rotation guy with all star seasons on his belt.

I don't know, but $14 million a year isn't bad in this market.  The five years is the question.  Front load it and it will be better and easier to trade if need be.
DemDog

Nova contract talks

Post by DemDog »

How about 14 million a year for 2 years then 2 mutual options for 14 million with say a 4 million buyout if the option is not exercised in year 3 or 4.

And you may want to put a few incentives in the deal. Something based on innings pitched, number or starts, maybe even have the options automatically vest based on some sort of performance basis over the first two years of the deal.

Just trying to think a bit out of the box. What do you think?
MaineBucs

Nova contract talks

Post by MaineBucs »

Good to read that they have been talking.

With respect to 5 years and $72 mil - WOW!

I don't fault his agents for asking, but that is more than I would have expected or hoped.

Nova has to hope that his last 2 starts of the season go really well.

Also, I could see his agents holding out to see if the Bucs make the play-offs, and he had a chance to be a play-off starter and he pitched well, how that would affect his stock.
Quail

Nova contract talks

Post by Quail »

I'd not offer Nova more than 3 years guaranteed at an average of $14M per year. I'd offer 2 club option years at $15.5M and $17M with the last option year having a club buyout of $1M or less.
DemDog

Nova contract talks

Post by DemDog »

1632262E2B470 wrote: I'd not offer Nova more than 3 years guaranteed at an average of $14M per year. I'd offer 2 club option years at $15.5M and $17M with the last option year having a club buyout of $1M or less.

Not a bad offer. Just one thing, if the Bucs decide to refuse the first option what type of buyout are you talking about? Surely not the 15.5 million.
SammyKhalifa

Nova contract talks

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I want to sign him (we need SOMEBODY) but that 5 year starting-point is a huuuuge ask from his agents
BucsFaninGA

Nova contract talks

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Bucs need another seasoned, veteran to add to the rotation. Hope NH can get it done. If they don't we are going to be dumpster diving again...

I agree 5 years too long of a deal. I would go 3 years with the 4th at an option. Add plenty of incentives too.

Glad they are not sitting on their hands and waiting til the off season...

Hope for something positive to come of this attempt to sign Nova early.

Beat'em Bucs