The annual prospect poll begins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

We begin the annual prospect poll today. I did not see a way to add more than 8 options for the poll, so I guess we'll go with that. The next up would be Cole Tucker, Clay Holmes, Barrett Barnes, Nick Kingham, Elias Diaz, Alen Hanson. Please let me know who you want added next and if you want to explain your vote please do. I myself voted for Josh Bell, but it was close. If he had one more big league at bat he would not qualify and i think i would have gone Glasnow,
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

It was between glasnow and meadows. I think aside from injury concerns, meadows' floor is too high as an above average regular.

I do love glasnows ceiling though.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I picked Meadows also.

I hope Glasnow takes off and becomes a high quality pitcher soon.

When I look at him with my glass half full, I can see him not putting it together until he has struggled in majors for a few years ala Jason Schmidt.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I picked Glasnow, mainly because of the importance (and difficulty of obtaining) quality pitching at the MLB level. Meadows will likely be good, but good outfielders are more readily available. If he turns out to be great, that of course would be a different story (as it would if Glasnow turns out to be great). If you assume the odds of either reaching that level are about equal, Glasnow is more valuable by position alone.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

64667C7A6C090 wrote: I picked Glasnow, mainly because of the importance (and difficulty of obtaining) quality pitching at the MLB level. Meadows will likely be good, but good outfielders are more readily available. If he turns out to be great, that of course would be a different story (as it would if Glasnow turns out to be great). If you assume the odds of either reaching that level are about equal, Glasnow is more valuable by position alone.

x2...and why I'm not willing to include Glasnow in any trade talks. In my mind, he could be a potential Cy Young winner. Those don't exactly grow on trees. Hopefully, his last start against the Mets was a glimpse of things to come.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I picked Glasnow over Meadows because he put up dominant numbers at Indy and Meadows has trouble staying healthy. It will becintersting to see how they develop this year.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/ ... s-for-2017

Minor League Ball released their pirates top 20 list. I think it's interesting to see Hearn at 7. I think he's a guy they picked up on the upswing.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E534D404F454E6C4453424445210 wrote: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/ ... s-for-2017

Minor League Ball released their pirates top 20 list.  I think it's interesting to see Hearn at 7.  I think he's a guy they picked up on the upswing. 

Is that more a praise for Hearn or a condemnation of our system after the first handful or so? He is interesting to me but not someone I'd have normally considered a top tenner.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5D607E737C767D5F7760717776120 wrote: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/ ... s-for-2017

Minor League Ball released their pirates top 20 list.  I think it's interesting to see Hearn at 7.  I think he's a guy they picked up on the upswing. 

Hearn was the main piece in that Melancon deal. I doubt that deal would have happened if he wasn't involved. The Pirates wanted to get their pitching experts to work with him.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

6D5F53534775565F5257585F3E0 wrote: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/ ... s-for-2017

Is that more a praise for Hearn or a condemnation of our system after the first handful or so?  He is interesting to me but not someone I'd have normally considered a top tenner.

The former, there are plenty of solid prospects below him on that list. I'm sure a lot of teams would like an 8-15 that included Kingham, Tucker, Will Craig, Diaz, Hanson, Brault, Macgregor and Yeudy Garcia.