Liriano or Nova?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am not one who cared about Liriano being dumped, but I know some were upset or at least the move made the Pirates worse.

Now I ask, who would you rather have with their salaries included: Liriano or Nova?

IABucFan

Liriano or Nova?

Post by IABucFan »

I don't think it's a fair comparison. They are just two very different pitchers. Liriano has been better over a longer period of time, throws left-handed, has a better out pitch (slider), and more swing and miss stuff, but had a really bad first half last year. Nova has been less consistent, with worse stuff, and "earned" his deal based on 10 or so starts. But, those 10 starts were pretty good. Personally, I'd rather have option C: all of the above. I think Liriano has a much higher ceiling, but also a much lower floor. I think there is as much likelihood that 2013 Liriano shows up next year as 2016 Liriano. If 2013 Liriano shows up for the Blue Jays, heck yeah that's a guy I'd want as my #5 starter!

In short...Nova makes a great #3--consistent, not overpowering, not flashy, will give you a good start every fifth day. Liriano, on the other hand, makes an EXCELLENT #5 starter, IMO. For me, that guy in the rotation is your prototypical boom or bust guy. If he stinks, you move on to the next guy. But, Liriano has enough stuff to warrant CY votes in a good year. I don't ever see Nova garnering CY attention.

Cole

Taillon

Nova

Glasnow

Liriano

That rotation makes the playoffs...or Liriano stinks and you insert Kuhl/Hutchinson/Brault/Williams/whoever.
IABucFan

Liriano or Nova?

Post by IABucFan »

And, I think most fans will take a "what have you done for me lately?" approach. Liriano's last starts as a Buc were abysmal. Nova's were great. Nevermind the fact that Liriano was at least as good for the Jays as Nova was for us.

BTW...I voted Liriano, but as I said above, I'd really like to have Nova as my 3 and Liriano as my 5. I'll take C: both.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

C is not an option.

Who in 2017 would you rather have with all things considered was the question.

2013 Liriano should have won the CY Young (little home team bias). He was great. But that was soon to be four years ago. Liriano needed a league change. I wouldn't be shocked if he has a great year, but that doesn't mean he would have had that same year in the NL.

Nova might have needed the league change too. I am sure that helped him too when he came over. Not walking batters and getting his fielders off the field was great too.

I voted Nova with all things considered. I am curious what others think.
SammyKhalifa

Liriano or Nova?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm not sure. It's a tough question.

But I would almost certainly want Liriano over Drew Hutchison.
rucker59@gmail.com

Liriano or Nova?

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I voted Nova. But Good Frankie is really good.

Quail

Liriano or Nova?

Post by Quail »

I voted Nova.

Seems like Frankie lost his effectiveness last year when hitters laid off his slider out of the strike zone. When as a result he ended up walking a ton of batters and had to pitch in the strike zone he got clobbered.

Nova got some tweaking by Uncle Ray and started using the strike zone more consistently than he ever had before (his K/W ratio was fantastic). Consequently he was very successful.

For me I'll take the guy who can thrive in the strike zone over the guy who has to rely on hitters going outside of the zone for success.
IABucFan

Liriano or Nova?

Post by IABucFan »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: C is not an option.

Who in 2017 would you rather have with all things considered was the question. 

2013 Liriano should have won the CY Young (little home team bias).  He was great. But that was soon to be four years ago.  Liriano needed a league change.  I wouldn't be shocked if he has a great year, but that doesn't mean he would have had that same year in the NL. 

Nova might have needed the league change too.  I am sure that helped him too when he came over.  Not walking batters and getting his fielders off the field was great too. 

I voted Nova with all things considered.  I am curious what others think.

I don't know. It's like picking stocks. Do you take the sure thing that offers less risk but less reward (Nova) or the upstart company that offers high risk but potential for high reward (Liriano)? It honestly depends on the day. Today I'm leaning Liriano. Tomorrow it might be Nova.
dmetz

Liriano or Nova?

Post by dmetz »

Lol what a ridiculous choice. As if these two pitchers have anything to do with one another.

I'd love to have Liriano in the rotation WITH nova in 2017.

If we traded Hutchison for Liriano & Reese McGuire today, people would be writing NH in for President.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano or Nova?

565F574648320 wrote: Lol what a ridiculous choice.   As if these two pitchers have anything to do with one another.

I'd love to have Liriano in the rotation WITH nova in 2017.

If we traded Hutchison for Liriano & Reese McGuire today, people would be writing NH in for President.

Didn't Nova replace Liriano?

And No, I wouldn't do that trade. I don't want Liriano back at $13.6 million a year.