I'm predicting a lost season .......

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

The biggest reason I'm predicting this is because the last social activity returning to normal will be large gatherings of people in small areas.

Fellow Buc fans, let's plan for next year! This year probably isn't happening.

It will be interesting so see what happens with all things financial regarding MLB. Such things as player contracts, etc., will they be automatically extended by one year to allow for no baseball this year, or will expiring contracts simply expire?

Thoughts on all?
BenM

Post by BenM »

Yesterday the Fan reported that MLB and the MLBPA were in negotiation about salaries and how to calculate service time for the season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

70575C7F320 wrote: Yesterday the Fan reported that MLB and the MLBPA were in negotiation about salaries and how to calculate service time for the season.
This should be interesting. Heaven forbid baseball players, many of whom are millionaires, should be inconvenienced and lose money or a year toward a big free agency payday.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

That is a rather dour outlook.  One hour ago I was talking with co-workers about the possibility that officials will be very deliberate to end shutdowns and and return to normalcy.  Thirty minutes ago I saw President Trump setting a goal to get the country back to work by Easter.  

Will all due respect to the virus and all those affected by it (all of Us) that is exactly the kind of message we need.  The goal should be to get this thing conquered... and the US will lead the way.  I hope I am sitting in a sold out Busch Stadium (wish it was PNC Park) before the end of Spring.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

6F68445345260 wrote: That is a rather dour outlook.  One hour ago I was talking with co-workers about the possibility that officials will be very deliberate to end shutdowns and and return to normalcy.  Thirty minutes ago I saw President Trump setting a goal to get the country back to work by Easter.  

Will all due respect to the virus and all those affected by it (all of Us) that is exactly the kind of message we need.  The goal should be to get this thing conquered... and the US will lead the way.  I hope I am sitting in a sold out Busch Stadium (wish it was PNC Park) before the end of Spring.
I did see his message. I love the way he's handling all of this. It looks like Congress is getting its act together, after the Pelosi's failed attempt to get the bill loaded with every kind of lib pork you could imagine.

Admittedly I'm more hopeful now. I see packed stadiums (except at PNC, of course  ;D) being the last thing we return to, because that was the first thing we lost.
BenM

Post by BenM »

It's a dangerous game to put timelines on mother nature.

This will be over when it's over. I live in New York just out of the city, and we are not close to having games in the Bronx or Queens.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

51767D5E130 wrote: It's a dangerous game to put timelines on mother nature.

This will be over when it's over. I live in New York just out of the city, and we are not close to having games in the Bronx or Queens.

For once a Yogi Berra malapropism actually is true. Denial of just how serious this virus is not just in the US of A but to the entire world is so stupid. The conservatives want to help out the rich and famous and the liberals want to help the average joe who will be the ones without any income and are also the ones who will be needed to be able to spend money on tix and concessions etc at ball games when they are resumed. It is time that we all work together to ease the burdens we all face right now. I hate staying in place and not being able to get such things as toilet paper because some folks are hoarding the stuff.
GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

60474C6F220 wrote: It's a dangerous game to put timelines on mother nature.

They certainly won't start the season until all areas are able to host games. It may be OK in Milwaukee...or it may not be...but if it's still kicking ass in the larger metros, there won't be games.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4168677275437F636A67756E060 wrote: It's a dangerous game to put timelines on mother nature.

They certainly won't start the season until all areas are able to host games.  It may be OK in Milwaukee...or it may not be...but if it's still kicking ass in the larger metros, there won't be games.

I agree with these quotes. If we rush to get back to normal there is a chance that virus could re-emerge and we will have to start over to contain it.

I am in a pretty rural area (but only 35 miles from AA size city) with just 2 cases in the county so far. But very few have been tested here although that is starting to change.
WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

Pandemics always come back in waves, and this one will be no different. It could well be just as bad in late summer/early fall as it is now. Possibly worse.

The number of those contracting coronavirus will most certainly continue to go up over the next two weeks. Deaths are a trailing indicator, and deaths likely won't even peak in North America until after Easter. Despite what the president says, things will not be back to normal by Easter, even though I appreciate the wishful thinking. Maybe Easter 2021.

We will be living in a very different America the next few years. This virus will not be gone anytime soon; we will need to learn to live with it around us. What that means for MLB this season is very much unknown at this time. But I suspect it won't be good news.