5/2 Game Thread - Glasnow v Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Prior to Polanco letting a line drive hit off his glove, Glasnow was on the brink of pitching 9 innings while only giving up 2 runs against the Yankees and Cubs. It wasn't an efficient 9 innings by any stretch, but it was looking like progress.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this month. We also need to keep Gift at 2B until Freese is back and JHay can go back over to 2B. Our 2B has cost Cole two straight games.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Our pitchers are going to have to pitch under adversity caused by errors. Glasnow will need to get out of jams caused by his porous defense instead of adding fuel to the fire. Cole has been in a good groove lately but I wonder if it was coincidence that he gave up the 3-run HR last night following the Gosselin error. I'm sure it's disheartening and maybe tough to maintain focus when you are pitching well and the defense is putting runners on base anyway. But Pirate pitchers are going to have to deal with it especially when Hurdle keeps putting players in positions they are not good at.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: Our pitchers are going to have to pitch under adversity caused by errors. Glasnow will need to get out of jams caused by his porous defense instead of adding fuel to the fire. Cole has been in a good groove lately but I wonder if it was coincidence that he gave up the 3-run HR last night following the Gosselin error. I'm sure it's disheartening and maybe tough to maintain focus when you are pitching well and the defense is putting runners on base anyway. But Pirate pitchers are going to have to deal with it especially when Hurdle keeps putting players in positions they are not good at.

I think the burden is harder for the pitchers knowing the team is not hitting. I have never seen a defense this bad and it is costing the team games. Going back to the worst defensive year I ever saw by a player in Alvarez, the Pirates only lost four games when his error made a difference. I know that is only one player and others made errors that season too, but still. The Pirates are well over four losses this year based on errors, right?
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Of course it makes perfect sense to NOT start Gift again tonight.

Let's see, we are mass-producing errors at 2B at a record rate this season, and it is costing us games.

So let's give everyone a chance there ... except the one guy on the roster who is an elite defender.

Brilliant! Makes perfect sense.

If Hanson kicks one (or throws one away) tonight that costs us a run or even worse the game (and they always seem to cost us the game), I'm going to snap.

GET GIFT BACK IN THE LINEUP!
notes34

Post by notes34 »

I just don't see how anyone can get excited for a Glasnow start right now? He is a hot mess.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7A584B56555057587B4C5A5A56390 wrote: Of course it makes perfect sense to NOT start Gift again tonight.

Let's see, we are mass-producing errors at 2B at a record rate this season, and it is costing us games.

So let's give everyone a chance there ... except the one guy on the roster who is an elite defender.

If Hanson kicks one (or throws one away) tonight that costs us a run or even worse the game (and they always seem to cost us the game), I'm going to snap.

They also had three hits yesterday. They need a bat in the line up too. Is Gift that bat?
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That's sort of my point exactly.

Gift is probably not the answer offensively.

But Gooselin sure isn't.

And Hanson can't hit either.

At least Gift gives you an elite glove. So that's something significant.

Hanson and Gooselin give you bad hitting AND bad defense.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

29222A262322397C7A0D342C252222632E224D0 wrote: Of course it makes perfect sense to NOT start Gift again tonight.

They also had three hits yesterday.  They need a bat in the line up too.  Is Gift that bat?

No, tonight that bat is Hanson. But at least Jaso is batting 4th.

1. Josh Harrison (R) 3B

2. Josh Bell (S) 1B

3. Andrew McCutchen (R) CF

4. John Jaso (L) RF

5. Jose Osuna (R) LF

6. Elias Diaz (R) C

7. Alen Hanson (S) 2B

8. Jordy Mercer (R) SS

9. Tyler Glasnow (L) P
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bad line up, wow. Watch them put up 8 runs.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Boy that is not a good major league lineup.