July 31 trade deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

July 31 trade deadline

Post by Leyland1948 »

Wonder if we could get Cody Bellinger and a starting pitcher for Garett Cole?
CutchisaBoss

July 31 trade deadline

Post by CutchisaBoss »

That would be a terrible return for Cole and a poor decision for this organization. Bell looks like he will be just fine.

I think trading Cole this deadline would be a huge mistake and I hope they don't do it. No reason this staff couldn't win a the division in 2018.
Piratefanbill

July 31 trade deadline

Post by Piratefanbill »

477170676C6D7765466B7777040 wrote:

I think trading Cole this deadline would be a huge mistake and I hope they don't do it.  No reason this staff couldn't win a the division in 2018.
Totally agree Coles our future. If this management team doesn't see that they need to go.
fjk090852-7

July 31 trade deadline

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Cole is our future for maybe one more year. The FO knows he is represented by Scott Boras who will want a dollar figure after the 2019 season which the Bucs will not pay. I would guess that Cole will be traded after the 2018 season or at the trade deadline July 31,2018.
mouse

July 31 trade deadline

Post by mouse »

Then there is this little quirk -- mlbtr is reporting that rival execs think Cole might be on the market this fall. The Quirk comes with this bit --

"Cole is controlled through the 2019 season and is earning a perfectly reasonable $3.8MM this season (though that number will spike in his second trip through arbitration this winter)."

We already suspect the budget will go down next year (or at best stay the same). What if his salary jumps to eight or nine million. If Cole stays, who goes, so they can stay in the range they need to be in? And gathering talent is a perfect cover for saving money.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

July 31 trade deadline

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6C60613A333A323F38273D0A0 wrote: Cole is our future for maybe one more year. The FO knows he is represented by Scott Boras who will want a dollar figure after the 2019 season which the Bucs will not pay. I would guess that Cole will be traded after the 2018 season or at the trade deadline July 31,2018.

How man former or current Pirates use Boras? I know Alvarez was his client, anyone else? I just don't think he matters as much when it comes to veteran players unlike the draft (which now has slotting). The market dictates more than Boras these days in my opinion.
JollyRoger

July 31 trade deadline

Post by JollyRoger »

On the MLB site; there is a article on 5 trade rumors. One of them has Cole going to the Yankees for Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield and maybe another player. Let's face it; Nutting is NOT going to pay Cole market value come 2019. Boras will not accept anything less.

I wish we could keep Cole but it goes against our thrifty (cheap) owner's philosophy. This year is quickly going down the tubes. Maybe we should be looking to deal him
dogknot17@yahoo.co

July 31 trade deadline

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1F3A39392C073A323027550 wrote: On the MLB site; there is a article on 5 trade rumors. One of them has Cole going to the Yankees for Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield and maybe another player. Let's face it; Nutting is NOT going to pay Cole market value come 2019. Boras will not accept anything less.

I wish we could keep Cole but it goes against our thrifty (cheap) owner's philosophy. This year is quickly going down the tubes. Maybe we should be looking to deal him

I think Cole is stupid to not sign an extension. His career could end tomorrow. He is young enough to get another big deal too.

The Pirates did extend McCutchen, Cervelli, Harrison, Marte and Polanco. They did sign Liriano and Nova. Cole could easily be extended like the others.

P.S.

I don't even know if they ever talked about an extension.
SammyKhalifa

July 31 trade deadline

Post by SammyKhalifa »

57727171644F727A786F1D0 wrote: On the MLB site; there is a article on 5 trade rumors. One of them has Cole going to the Yankees for Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield and maybe another player. Let's face it; Nutting is NOT going to pay Cole market value come 2019. Boras will not accept anything less.

Here's the article I think that came from. More speculation from a writer than actual "rumor" but makes sense.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.3136922
SCBucco

July 31 trade deadline

Post by SCBucco »

35372D2B3D580 wrote: Then there is this little quirk -- mlbtr is reporting that rival execs think Cole might be on the market this fall. The Quirk comes with this bit --

"Cole is controlled through the 2019 season and is earning a perfectly reasonable $3.8MM this season (though that number will spike in his second trip through arbitration this winter)."

We already suspect the budget will go down next year (or at best stay the same). What if his salary jumps to eight or nine million. If Cole stays, who goes, so they can stay in the range they need to be in? And gathering talent is a perfect cover for saving money.

I think people need to get a grip on this.  What does keeping Cole really do for us?  We aren't a contending team this year, nor will we be one next year with our ownership.  With the control for the next two years at a well below market price, that would make him very very appealing at the trade deadline, assuming he is healthy.  If you deal him, this is the year to do it.

My target would be the Yanks.  I'd ask for the following ... Clint Frazier, one of James Kaprielian or Justus Sheffield or Chance Adams and Tyler Austin or Dustin Fowler.  That would bring in talent of need at certain positions.

Keeping him doesn't make sense to me.  If we were a contender, its one thing.  We aren't.  In addition, there is no chance he resigns here, so ...