Jordan Milbrath a Bullpen Longshot

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Milbrath pitched another scoreless inning today. I am hoping he makes the team mainly because he pitches more sidearm rather than over the top. It would be good to have a pitcher having a different angle coming in from the bullpen.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Last Pirate sidearmer to my memory that was a tough pitcher was Teke-Kent Tekulve...Does anyone else recall a Bucco hurler who threw sidearm that was effective? Rooting for Milbrath to have some success. A sidearmer, let along a lefty sidearmer is a tough pitcher to hit!

Beat'em Bucs
mouse

Post by mouse »

How is he against right-handed hitters? He might end up a LOOGY if the splits aren't too good. But I agree - a lefty side-armer would be tough on left-handers for sure.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2A28323422470 wrote: How is he against right-handed hitters? He might end up a LOOGY if the splits aren't too good. But I agree - a lefty side-armer would be tough on left-handers for sure.

He is a righty. Here are his stats (only last year as a sidearmer)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... lbra000jor
mouse

Post by mouse »

Ah, okay. Still, I like the idea of different styles so teams don't get locked in on one particular look.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

54564C4A5C390 wrote: Ah, okay. Still, I like the idea of different styles so teams don't get locked in on one particular look.

I agree, he throws hard, from the side and was great against righthanders last year.

I can see why he was rule 5 available since he didn't pitch much in AA.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Milbrath pitches today, and I hope he pitches a clean inning. He has an uphill battle to make the club, but I hope he makes it. As of now my guess for the 7 relief pitchers are : Rivero, Kontos, Feliz, Crick, Glasnow, Brault and Siegrist. So there may not be room for Milbrath.
Quail

Post by Quail »

1E293F2F1A3D3235321B1D5C0 wrote: Last Pirate sidearmer to my memory that was a tough pitcher was Teke-Kent Tekulve...Does anyone else recall a Bucco hurler who threw sidearm that was effective? Rooting for Milbrath to have some success. A sidearmer, let along a lefty sidearmer is a tough pitcher to hit!

Beat'em Bucs

Bruce Kison used to come sidearm consistently. IIRC his nickname was "The Whip". Always had right handed hitters bailing out of the box.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Quail, Dang, I should have recalled Bruce Kison. He was very valuable to the Pirates WS run in 1971...Came up from Charleston Charlies and pitched in 18 games. Went 6-5 in 71....Yep, the Whip was a tough pitcher indeed...

Beat'em Bucs
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7E495F4F7A5D5255527B7D3C0 wrote: Quail, Dang, I should have recalled Bruce Kison. He was very valuable to the Pirates WS run in 1971...Came up from Charleston Charlies and pitched in 18 games.  Went 6-5 in 71....Yep, the Whip was a tough pitcher indeed...

Beat'em Bucs
I recall reading a sports illustrated article about Kison at Waterbury (AA) in 1970. The story focused on how he was being tutored by veteran minor league catcher Woody Huyke. A year later Kison was in the big leagues. Huyke later managed in the Pirates' system and is credited with changing Tim Wakefield from a 1Bman to a knuckleball pitcher.