Cole Hamels

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

Cole Hamels

Post by RichD »

If the Pirates are serious about this year .We need to go ahead and get Hamels . Last year i wanted to go after Verlander and you have seen what he`s done with a change of scene. Bucs need this type of guy to really jumpstart the rotation. Face it we wont win a playoff series with what we have.But Hamels could be a real good start.Get him now before summer deadline. Not sure what Rangers want most likely salary relief.Offer up Hearns, Oniel Cruz, Ke Bryan Hayes ,Kuhl ,Kingman ,Will Craig etc.
SCBucco

Cole Hamels

Post by SCBucco »

4D767C775B1F0 wrote: If the Pirates are serious about this year .We need to go ahead and get Hamels . Last year i wanted to go after Verlander and you have seen what he`s done with a change of scene. Bucs need this type of guy to really jumpstart the rotation. Face it we wont win a playoff series with what we have.But Hamels could be a real good start.Get him now before summer deadline. Not sure what Rangers want most likely salary relief.Offer up Hearns, Oniel Cruz, Ke Bryan Hayes ,Kuhl ,Kingman ,Will Craig etc.

You should know by now there won't be a significant add to this roster if its in contention for a playoff spot. It goes against the MO of this organization.
RichD

Cole Hamels

Post by RichD »

You know what, offer our #1 Pitching prospect Keller at 1 for 1 and we get 10 mill . So we can have Hamels for 2 years at like 15 mill per year. We have to win a championship , somehow, soon..I`m getting old. ::)
Bobster21

Cole Hamels

Post by Bobster21 »

Hamels is 34. His ERA for 2017 and 2018 (so far) is 4.01. He could be useful but not if it costs a good young player for a guy in the late stages of his career.
SCBucco

Cole Hamels

Post by SCBucco »

755855444352450506370 wrote: Hamels is 34. His ERA for 2017 and 2018 (so far) is 4.01. He could be useful but not if it costs a good young player for a guy in the late stages of his career.

His 4.01 in the AL and in that park translates into a 3.5 in the NL or lower.  Do we think Keller is the next coming?  We thought that with Glasnow and look what we have.  I have no clue what the cost would be to get Hamels, but several other teams would have no problem forking over better packages than Pittsburgh.  I can see the Yanks going after him. Still think he would be our ace, even with the way Williams is pitching. However, I know better. Yanks get Hamels, we get the next Kyle Lohse.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cole Hamels

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates have lost three series this year, but they can't win a playoff series? I think it's too early to be setting up for the Playoffs. Not sure Hamels would be my guy.

Also, Cole and Morton are pitching better in the AL compared to their time in the NL. Maybe the hitters are better in the NL? Hamels ERA could get worse.
timozbuck

Cole Hamels

Post by timozbuck »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: The Pirates have lost three series this year, but they can't win a playoff series? I think it's too early to be setting up for the Playoffs. Not sure Hamels would be my guy.

Also, Cole and Morton are pitching better in the AL compared to their time in the NL. Maybe the hitters are better in the NL?  Hamels ERA could get worse.

Come on Dog. It’s much tougher pitching in the AL.

I’m not sure if Hamels would be my guy either, but he would be an upgrade to the rotation and a sign to the fan base that maybe just maybe ownership is serious about winning.

I’m expecting to be disappointed though.
Bobster21

Cole Hamels

Post by Bobster21 »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: The Pirates have lost three series this year, but they can't win a playoff series? I think it's too early to be setting up for the Playoffs. Not sure Hamels would be my guy.

Also, Cole and Morton are pitching better in the AL compared to their time in the NL. Maybe the hitters are better in the NL?  Hamels ERA could get worse.
NL league average team ERA is 3.91. AL average ERA is 4.31. AL is a more offense minded league due to DH. Cole and Morton are the exceptions. That said, however, I would not trade a top prospect for Hamels at age 34 unless I thought he would be the missing piece to a World Series team. And I don't think that's likely.
rucker59@gmail.com

Cole Hamels

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I don’t know that Hamels is the right guy, but I agree with RichD’s over all point: the rotation can be upgraded.

I think the Pirates have a shot at the playoffs with their current team. I think it would be wise to try and up grade.

I also think it might help with winning some fans back.
dmetz

Cole Hamels

Post by dmetz »

Of course I would be thrilled to have him. Surely he can be had for less than Keller though with 2 years left and NOT cost controlled by any stretch of the imagination 

Or a combination of prospective talent that doesn't include Keller. Keller has multiple plus pitches and control and almost ready. I just don't know if that's a smart trade to make