Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The last 11 games:

35.2 IP, 23 ER, 41 H, 5.80 ERA

The last 4 games:

14 IP, 13 ER, 21 H, 8.36 ERA
CarolinaBucco

The Bullpen

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Remember a few weeks ago when we all thought the bullpen was good, really good?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Bullpen

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Santana and Vasquez haven't been very good lately.
dmetz

The Bullpen

Post by dmetz »

It's an unfortunate blip. The overall numbers are still there. Look for it to correct itself in short order.
Quail

The Bullpen

Post by Quail »

Young pitchers will break your heart, and we've got a roster full of them (relievers and starters). Inconsistency is to be expected. Dmetz is correct; this will correct itself. As the great Willie Stargell used to advise about baseball; don't let yourself get too high or too low.
timozbuck

The Bullpen

Post by timozbuck »

5E555D5154554E0B0D7A435B5255551459553A0 wrote: The last 11 games:

35.2 IP, 23 ER, 41 H, 5.80 ERA

The last 4 games:

14 IP, 13 ER, 21 H, 8.36 ERA

Building a good cheap pen was NH’s calling card...
IABucFan

The Bullpen

Post by IABucFan »

454C44555B210 wrote: It's an unfortunate blip.   The overall numbers are still there.   Look for it to correct itself in short order.

I agree with this, which is why I don't really this this is the wheel's falling off. A lot of our recent losses should have been wins, but the pen blew the game. If it's a blip, it should correct itself.
dmetz

The Bullpen

Post by dmetz »

292122150326010E600 wrote: It's an unfortunate blip.   The overall numbers are still there.   Look for it to correct itself in short order.

I agree with this, which is why I don't really this this is the wheel's falling off. A lot of our recent losses should have been wins, but the pen blew the game. If it's a blip, it should correct itself.

Nah, I think the wheels are off.   The offense is fading fast.  I think this is a good bullpen and an average rotation, but the offense is starting to turn into a pumpkin.  Thank goodness for a red-hot meadows lately!   

These guys have over performed in a lot of ways to this point.  Did a great job of beating some lousy teams and that's important.  I believed they would lose 90 (or somewhere close) and even with Hurdle, the perpetual W-L nosediver, that's not going to happen.  

notes34

The Bullpen

Post by notes34 »

636A62737D070 wrote: It's an unfortunate blip.   The overall numbers are still there.   Look for it to correct itself in short order.

Nah, I think the wheels are off.   The offense is fading fast.  I think this is a good bullpen and an average rotation, but the offense is starting to turn into a pumpkin.  Thank goodness for a red-hot meadows lately!   

These guys have over performed in a lot of ways to this point.  Did a great job of beating some lousy teams and that's important.   I believed they would lose 90 (or somewhere close) and even with Hurdle, the perpetual W-L nosediver, that's not going to happen.   

I'm with you the wheels are off. They had a very unexpected fast start. There was no way the offense was ever going to stay that hot.
Bobster21

The Bullpen

Post by Bobster21 »

When the Bucs were 26-17 I posted that what impressed me was that they were winning despite not having players playing above their heads. They guys who were hitting best had had previous years of good hitting. Others were playing at or below what was normal for them. The key was so many timely hits. The starting pitching was adequate for about 5 innings and the bullpen was doing a fine job. That included Santana and Feliz, of whom we didn't know what to expect.

Now that they are in a free fall, the hitting isn't awful. They've added Meadows, who's been their best hitter since he was recalled. But the timely hits have stopped. The starting pitchers are still adequate for 5 innings. But the bullpen now stinks. That's a major issues because we didn't really know what to expect from Feliz, Santana, Rodriguez, Crick or Glasnow. We also didn't know what to expect of Smoker and Neverauskas and they had to be moved. Unlike a lot of players with established track records, this BP is largely a collection of question marks. It would be great if they did well but not shocking if they didn't. With no more than adequate starters, a weak BP that is forced to enter the game in the 6th inning most every night, and a less than awesome offense, this may be the real Pirates.