6 wins and 18 Losses Changes Need To Be Made

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This month of poor play should result in some roster changes. Williams could use some time at Indy. Polanco needs to go down to get daily playing time, Neverauskas should be DFA’d. It may be time to DFA’d S Rod even though that change may cause some anxiety in the clubhouse. The great beginning of the season has past, and it is time to get the ship running in the right direction.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm hopeful that changes will be made when they return to Pittsburgh and can have some organizational discussions. I would send Polanco to AAA and recall Osuna. Give Osuna plenty of time at 1B where he's probably an upgrade both defensively and offensively over Bell. Give Bell plenty of practice in the OF and let him be a 4th OFer and switch-hitting pinch-hitter for as long as Osuna doesn't need to be replaced. Bell can start on Sundays with the JV lineup. Replace Rodriguez with Frazier or Moroff. Williams has pitched very poorly in each of his last 5 starts. His ERA for that period is 8.57. Send him to AAA and replace him with Kingham. Replace Neverauskas with anyone from AAA, AAA or even a popcorn vendor.

Maybe trade Nova for a legit, established BP arm. Looking over the BP, all except Vazquez have one thing in common. They all make less than $600,000. The MLB minimum is $545,000. So do 4 of the 5 starters.

So I don't actually expect significant changes as much as I would welcome them. This is the low budget team BN and NH wanted.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Changes need made.

I don't see Bell being moved to the outfield. I do think Osuna should get some 1B time. I don't think the outfield rotation should happen anymore. I'd put Meadows in LF more too. Call up Moroff, get rid of Rodriguez.

I am ok with the pitching staff. They aren't very good overall, but all very young. They need to pitch to see what the Pirates have going forward. They have plenty of guys who can bounce in and out of the rotation.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Changes need made. 

I don't see Bell being moved to the outfield.  I do think Osuna should get some 1B time.  I don't think the outfield rotation should happen anymore.  I'd put Meadows in LF more too.  Call up Moroff, get rid of Rodriguez. 

I am ok with the pitching staff.  They aren't very good overall, but all very young.  They need to pitch to see what the Pirates have going forward.  They have plenty of guys who can bounce in and out of the rotation. 

Stop with the continued built in excuses. Why can almost every other organization develop young pitchers, but Pittsburgh cannot? The rotation was going to be a problem right from the start and I identified this quickly. They suck. There are few options within to change the direction of this.

There is one potential top two starter in this rotation in JT. Problem is that is based on potential. The others are fours and fives at best. You cannot expect to win with one potential top 2 and four/five 4's and 5's in a rotation. Maybe our management/ownership should consider getting some pitchers that can be top three types instead of using inconsistent and subpar arms and maintain this crazy notion of this team will compete. This team was never going to compete long term.

Stop with this "we are young crap" It gets old.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4A5A5B6C7A7A76190 wrote: Changes need made. 

I don't see Bell being moved to the outfield.  I do think Osuna should get some 1B time.  I don't think the outfield rotation should happen anymore.  I'd put Meadows in LF more too.  Call up Moroff, get rid of Rodriguez. 

I am ok with the pitching staff.  They aren't very good overall, but all very young.  They need to pitch to see what the Pirates have going forward.  They have plenty of guys who can bounce in and out of the rotation. 

Stop with the continued built in excuses.  Why can almost every other organization develop young pitchers, but Pittsburgh cannot?  The rotation was going to be a problem right from the start and I identified this quickly.  They suck.  There are few options within to change the direction of this. 

There is one potential top two starter in this rotation in JT.  Problem is that is based on potential.  The others are fours and fives at best.  You cannot expect to win with one potential top 2 and four/five 4's and 5's in a rotation.  Maybe our management/ownership should consider getting some pitchers that can be top three types instead of using inconsistent and subpar arms and maintain this crazy notion of this team will compete.  This team was never going to compete long term.

Stop with this "we are young crap"  It gets old.

Why don't you stop telling me to stop?

Not excuses. They are facts. Know the difference. Are they not young? Wait, you don't answer questions...fact is they are young. Probably the youngest pitching staff in all of baseball (if anyone wants to look it up). Of course there would be times they struggled. Didn't take a genius to figure that out!
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

230E03121504135350610 wrote: I'm hopeful that changes will be made when they return to Pittsburgh and can have some organizational discussions. I would send Polanco to AAA and recall Osuna. Give Osuna plenty of time at 1B where he's probably an upgrade both defensively and offensively over Bell. Give Bell plenty of practice in the OF and let him be a 4th OFer and switch-hitting pinch-hitter for as long as Osuna doesn't need to be replaced. Bell can start on Sundays with the JV lineup. Replace Rodriguez with Frazier or Moroff. Williams has pitched very poorly in each of his last 5 starts. His ERA for that period is 8.57. Send him to AAA and replace him with Kingham. Replace Neverauskas with anyone from AAA, AAA or even a popcorn vendor. 

Maybe trade Nova for a legit, established BP arm. Looking over the BP, all except Vazquez have one thing in common. They all make less than $600,000. The MLB minimum is $545,000. So do 4 of the 5 starters.

So I don't actually expect significant changes as much as I would welcome them. This is the low budget team BN and NH wanted.

A lot of this makes sense.  Then again, this organization is not made up of any sense.  The Lithuanian needs to be shipped back to his home country.  The Pirates love stories like this ... just like the Gift Ngope thing.  I prefer players, not getting the first Lithuanian or South African.

When you build a team like this, where the ownership doesn't want to put any money into it, you have to play solid defense.  This team is inept.  They can't pitch either.  That isn't a good recipe for winning.

If Nova has two more good starts, I deal him quickly.  Maybe someone will give us more than a used milk carton.  The problem is all the players this organization will be willing to move (SRod, Freese, Mercer, Harrison) have little to no value.  They don't bring back anything of note to move the needle.

There aren't any other options for starters, absent Kingham in this organization. I agree, I move williams down and bring Nick back up. I don't see that happening though.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

why do players get to Pittsburgh and regress instead of progress?

Cole, Pedro, Polanco, Bell are examples.

Why can a team supposedly being built on pitching and defense have such a bad defense?

This years team should be more than enough proof (and I think it was clear last year) that NH should not be the GM and Hurdle shouldn't be the manager. One thing that Bob Nutting, Frank C. Neal and Clint have in common is there ability to BS.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What makes you think they are being built on defense?

All the new players added from those playoff teams have been known as less fielders (Bell, Moran, Dickerson, Frazier) and Polanco is still here.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: What makes you think they are being built on defense? 

All the new players added from those playoff teams have been known as less fielders (Bell, Moran, Dickerson, Frazier) and Polanco is still here.

the whole strategy of shifting is to improve the defense. Polanco was viewed as a plus defender in the minors. I don't think the Bucs expected Bell to be this bad at first (IMO he has regressed since last year).

Frankly, I don't know that there is any plan to build the team on defense and pitching or anything else. It seems like they don't really know what kind of team they want other than a cheap one.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5D7B7A6D7B6B180 wrote: What makes you think they are being built on defense? 

the whole strategy of shifting is to improve the defense.  Polanco was viewed as a plus defender in the minors.  I don't think the Bucs expected Bell to be this bad at first (IMO he has regressed since last year). 

Frankly, I don't know that there is any plan to build the team on defense and pitching or anything else.  It seems like they don't really know what kind of team they want other than a cheap one.

Gotcha...I was thinking more of the type of players they brought in or will be going forward with. The shifting is to help put defenders in the best position. The Pirates are no longer considered the top team shifters as all teams are doing it just as much.