Gleyber Torres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Gleyber Torres

Post by JollyRoger »

I guess the Yanks knew what they were doing when they refused to include Torres on any package for Cole.

The kid has only played 45 games yet has 13 homers, 33 RBI’s and has a .295 batting average. In addition over .900 OBS
CarolinaBucco

Gleyber Torres

Post by CarolinaBucco »

It seems like over the last few years there have been quite a few of 20, 21, 22 year olds, both pitchers and position players, who get promoted to the MLB level and tear it up right away.

Every time I see a young player like that, I know that if the same player was in the Pirates systems he would still be at Bradenton or Altoona, learning to "experience failure" and the highs and lows of pro ball before he can get promoted to Indy for another full year, much less Pittsburgh.

When was the last time the Pirates brought up someone really young like a 20, 21-year-old?
skinnyhorse

Gleyber Torres

Post by skinnyhorse »

795B48555653545B784F5959553A0 wrote: It seems like over the last few years there have been quite a few of 20, 21, 22 year olds, both pitchers and position players, who get promoted to the MLB level and tear it up right away.

Every time I see a young player like that, I know that if the same player was in the Pirates systems he would still be at Bradenton or Altoona, learning to "experience failure" and the highs and lows of pro ball before he can get promoted to Indy for another full year, much less Pittsburgh.

When was the last time the Pirates brought up someone really young like a 20, 21-year-old?
Exactly I get so tired of leaving great young players in the minors only to learn bad habits and those folks trying to fix very successful young players when they don't need fixing.
Bobster21

Gleyber Torres

Post by Bobster21 »

20383A3D3D2A3B3C212036530 wrote: It seems like over the last few years there have been quite a few of 20, 21, 22 year olds, both pitchers and position players, who get promoted to the MLB level and tear it up right away.

Exactly I get so tired  of leaving great young players in the minors only to learn bad habits and those folks trying to fix very successful young players when they don't need fixing.
TBMTIB seem to believe they are smarter than everyone else despite their lack of results.
Ecbucs

Gleyber Torres

Post by Ecbucs »

I am more concerned about the regression and lack of progress in the majors than leaving them in minors too long.

I thought one of the goals of having them play more minor league games was to make them better prepared for majors.

However, Cole, Taillon, Alvarez, Polanco, Tabata, Bell are players that haven't seen to improve much from their rookie stats. In some cases they were better as a rookie.

Maybe they have just reached their real talent level.

If talent is the answer then the Bucs are in big trouble, you need superstars and near superstars to win. A team of average players isn't a good team.
SammyKhalifa

Gleyber Torres

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4B6D6C7B6D7D0E0 wrote: I am more concerned about the regression and lack of progress in the majors than leaving them in minors too long.

I thought one of the goals of having them play more minor league games was to make them better prepared for majors.

However, Cole, Taillon, Alvarez, Polanco, Tabata, Bell are players that haven't seen to improve much from their rookie stats.  In some cases they were better as a rookie.

If talent is the answer then the Bucs are in big trouble, you need superstars and near superstars to win.  A team of average players isn't a good team.

I agree. Saying these guys were in the minors too long might be missing the point.
steve49

Gleyber Torres

Post by steve49 »

6B495A47444146496A5D4B4B47280 wrote: It seems like over the last few years there have been quite a few of 20, 21, 22 year olds, both pitchers and position players, who get promoted to the MLB level and tear it up right away.

I'm old enough to remember Bob Bailey. He was 19. Hope that helps.
dmetz

Gleyber Torres

Post by dmetz »

775150475141320 wrote: I am more concerned about the regression and lack of progress in the majors than leaving them in minors too long.

However, Cole, Taillon, Alvarez, Polanco, Tabata, Bell are players that haven't seen to improve much from their rookie stats.  In some cases they were better as a rookie.

If talent is the answer then the Bucs are in big trouble, you need superstars and near superstars to win.  A team of average players isn't a good team.

Exactly. Nice that someone is noticing. Just assuming that a player is for sure going to get better because he's "young" is a fools bet. The evidence of that is overwhelming. The numbers inside the numbers are better indicators of what the future holds..

We have a team with a lot of guys producing at the same level or worse than when they first came into the league.
RichD

Gleyber Torres

Post by RichD »

1C3E2D303336313E1D2A3C3C305F0 wrote: It seems like over the last few years there have been quite a few of 20, 21, 22 year olds, both pitchers and position players, who get promoted to the MLB level and tear it up right away.

Jose Guillen was really young when they brought him up(20-21) I think. Had a nice rookie year then later was traded then bounced around for a few years. He broke out at around 30 and ended up getting a few nice paydays. You never know.

Baseball reference has Polanco as a most similar age /stats and Jose Guillen is on that list. :-[

So just maybe we just need to wait a few more years and Polanco will be the player we want.
Ecbucs

Gleyber Torres

Post by Ecbucs »

6259535874300 wrote: It seems like over the last few years there have been quite a few of 20, 21, 22 year olds, both pitchers and position players, who get promoted to the MLB level and tear it up right away.

Jose Guillen was really young when they brought him up(20-21) I think. Had a nice rookie year then later was traded then bounced around for a few years. He broke out at around 30 and ended up getting a few nice paydays. You never know.

Baseball reference has Polanco as a most similar age /stats and Jose Guillen is on that list. :-[

So just maybe we just need to wait a few more years and Polanco will be the player we want.

speaking of Guillen, here is one of his best, if not the best throws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... FAbXnlzZGQ