Trade Candidates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Trade Candidates

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Guys like Harrison, Mercer and Nova have been suggested as possible trade candidates at the deadline. I am going to suggest Marte because I think he could garner more talent in a trade then any of the other players who have been suggested as trade candidates. Sure we would lose a very talented center fielder, but the players coming back to Pittsburgh could be players to get this franchise back to respectability.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Candidates

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

You can quote me on this: we’re losing with Marte, we can lose without Marte.

I agree: Marte’s best use is to flip him.

Harrison: I don’t think he can be traded. I truly think Pirate fans would burn PNC down if they move the last crowd favorite on the roster. His value won’t justify the consequences.
MaineBucs

Trade Candidates

Post by MaineBucs »

I have often stated how I believe the Pirates should keep Marte and use him as one of the cornerstones to try and rebuild around. Well --- I am now past that point. I favored the Pirates going into rebuild mode this past winter. Now, after some early season delusional thinking on my part (hey, maybe this team can compete), believe that the best course would be to start retooling this season. And, not waiting until the end of July to do so.

In looking at the current roster, among the position players, Marte likely has the most value. He is a very good defensive outfielder (both left & center), he offers speed on the bases, and he is a decent hitter with some power. He also is cost controlled. Numerous teams could use him.

I also look at moving nearly all of the position players, including -

Dickerson - I love his bat control but he has sacrificed power to achieve such and he draws virtually no walks. I would see what he could bring.

Mercer - Mercer is currently hitting as well as he is going to hit and plays a respectable SS. He wouildn't return much, but I don't see why the Pirates would resign him and as such, he should be moved.

Harrison - Let the fans burn down PNC. It may be some of the first signs of life at this Park all season (except when Cutch returned). Similar to Mercer, I don't expect a lot in return, but Harrison isn't hitting with enough power to be an effective player for long. Also, with his propensity to get hit by inside pitches, another fractured wrist, hamate bone or whatever, could rob him of the last remaining power that he is showing now.

Freese - Useful player to someone.

Polanco - I don't think he has any value.

Bell - I would include him in a trade that returned some value. His power drop-off this year is frightful; 4 HR's near the end of June from a first baseman who plays nearly every day.

Rodriguez - Release him. Sooner rather than later. And yes, I was one of the fools who posted several weeks ago that he had earned the right to play more in CF when Meadows came up.

Cervelli - I would deal him as well and would hope that his 9 HR's this year would attract some interest. Diaz and Stallings will not be a good replacement pair, but at this point, thke Bucs need to salvage what they can from Cervelli's rebound. This latest concussion is a real concern.

On the pitching front, Bucs need to move Nova, and likely that's about it. Hope that he can put together 2 or 3 more good starts in a row to try and attract more interest. I don't think that he will return a lot, but he serves little long-term purpose on this team.

That said, if adding one of the other starters or one of the relievers to a package resulted in a better return, the Bucs should not be adverse to moving one of their younger starters or relievers. Too bad Vasquez has tanked this year (I advocated trading him this off-season), because if he was pitching like last year, he, rather than Marte, may have had the most value.

Unfortunately, I doubt that the Bucs see much trade action this year. The payroll is still quite low and shouldn't pose real problems. No one in management seems to be overly concerned about the team's (lack of) performance. All the critical management folks are on long term contracts.

I expect to hear something like we engaged in trade discussions with other teams but just didn't like the return that was being offered.

I
Quail

Trade Candidates

Post by Quail »

I'm sad to say that I can't imagine that any trade involving any player from this current Pirate team would have a greater, immediate, positive impact than simply releasing Sean Rodriguez. Perhaps if all of Cervelli, Harrison, Mercer, Freese, Nova and Dickerson are dealt the return might include a player or two who could help improve the team, but even then it'll probably take a few years for those players to develop. And then what? Who's still around at that point and what are the chances things will be a lot different from what we're seeing now with complementary or bench-types of vets surrounded by inconsistent youngsters? Seems to me there's simply no escaping Bob Nutting's vision for the future is sustained, perpetual cost-controlled mediocrity. I feel like trading anyone off of the current roster for more prospects would be like putting brand new deck chairs on the Titanic.
dmetz

Trade Candidates

Post by dmetz »

Agree except that we aren't mediocer. We're back where we were for 20 straight seasons. We're a bad baseball team. Were last year too
Bobster21

Trade Candidates

Post by Bobster21 »

Whenever I read about potential trade scenarios I'm reminded that it's been 14-15 years since Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez were the next wave of prospects who were supposed to right the ship. There's been a steady lineage of acquired prospects ever since but the org has always refrained from going all in. Even after 98 wins and record attendance in 2015 they cut costs and talent. I don't care who gets traded for who and how good the acquired prospects are, they will only be part of a team that isn't good enough because mgt will never pay for a complete team. So I tune out of the trade discussions. Why even bother?
skinnyhorse

Trade Candidates

Post by skinnyhorse »

636A62737D070 wrote: Agree except that we aren't mediocer.   We're back where we were for 20 straight seasons.  We're a bad baseball team.  Were last year too
Agree CH and NH have absolutely destroyed this team. If NH was any kind of a GM he would have fired CH 2 years ago so now they both have to go both so incompetent it's not even funny. They were on a roll early but it didn't take Hurdle long to start the downward spiral and now it's out of control. It's mandatory you win those games he gave away and now we're on the road to oblivion. So sad another 20 years, I don't think the franchise will survive it, probably looking at another city soon.
BenM

Trade Candidates

Post by BenM »

In a era when teams hang on to their young talent, I don't see any of the Buc's players generating an interesting return.

They are playing a weak hand talent wise.
SCBucco

Trade Candidates

Post by SCBucco »

Very few of the names mentioned move the needle as far as getting much value in return. Despite him having a career year, I'm not sure Cervelli brings back as much as many of us believe. Mercer, Freese ... Harrison, I'm not sure has much value in a deal.

If Nova has two more solid starts, it would be time to move him quickly. Hell, I would be making the calls now.

Marte could bring back some nice pieces, but something tells me we would get less than a Cole return and that isn't looking good.

Sad thing, if moving out these pieces, next year won't be any better. We know the GM/ownership won't be going after quality. The prospects we get in return for these players mentioned more than likely won't help. Your outfield takes major step back ...

They won't release SRod. Think about how much he is owed.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Candidates

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: Whenever I read about potential trade scenarios I'm reminded that it's been 14-15 years since Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez were the next wave of prospects who were supposed to right the ship. There's been a steady lineage of acquired prospects ever since but the org has always refrained from going all in. Even after 98 wins and record attendance in 2015 they cut costs and talent. I don't care who gets traded for who and how good the acquired prospects are, they will only be part of a team that isn't good enough because mgt will never pay for a complete team. So I tune out of the trade discussions. Why even bother?

Going back to JBay and Freddy - there is an astounding lack of star players for this organization. Cutch. Martin. Harrison. Who else played at a higher level for multiple seasons? AJ, Walker and Pedro for very short period in their careers, all of which coincided with the brief winning cycle.

There have been plenty of average players, the “##4&5 lineup players”. Good enough to put a team on the field that sometimes resembles a “good” team. But they’re not a “good” team because this team is literally made up of average to low-average players. In the lineup and rotation. Everybody on this team is a “4 or 5” except maybe a couple 3s like Marte and maybe Cervelli and JHay.

This team can’t be better then it’s players, and this is a team with a lot of average (and low average) players.

That means there is little trade value. Nobody is paying much for my junk. In fact, I have to call 1-800-JUNK and pay them to haul it away.

There’s nothing here. There is no value to turn over.

It’s been run into the ground. And Nutting’s not going to pay the price to fix it.