Players Association Files Grievance

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Players Association has filed a grievance against the Bucs, Marlins, Rays and  A’s over the question of the use of revenue  sharing funds. This may be very interesting.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018 ... -spending/

This is the only reference I can find to this.  You'd think it would be bigger news.  Where did you read it?

Found another:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/ ... funds.html
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

3D383F39313B223F3625232E570 wrote: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018 ... -spending/

This is the only reference I can find to this.  You'd think it would be bigger news.  Where did you read it?
It is in the MLB Trade Rumors Site. I guess Frank Coonelly has already responded.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

464A4B1019101815120D17200 wrote: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018 ... -spending/

It is in the MLB Trade Rumors Site. I guess Frank Coonelly has already responded.

Found that one right after I posted, edited my post. Should be interesting to follow this, but I am guessing nothing at all will come from it.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Since the Bucs are now the only team to not sign a free agent to a MLB contract this offseason, maybe it would be a good plan to sign someone now to show the Players Association they are complying with revenue sharing rules.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7D71702B222B232E29362C1B0 wrote: Since the Bucs are now the only team to not sign a free agent to a MLB contract this offseason, maybe it would be a good plan to sign someone now to show the Players Association they are complying with revenue sharing rules.

Why doesn't it matter how many moves in general or minor league contracts? Aren't minor leaguers in the Union too.

This will be kind of interesting. I don't really see a case, but I am sure I am a little bias. Funny how this is happening this year and not previous years. Other teams would be in question too.

The Brewers, for example, had such a low payroll last year but they make two trades to raise their payroll to where the Pirates are and all of the sudden they are trying to win? For some reason, that doesn't matter. Silly.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Since it is money given to the team by MLB, you would think the team would have to report to MLB in quite a bit of detail how it is being used. I would be surprised if that is not the case.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

Maybe since their cut has gone down seven consecutive seasons, they decided to internally boycott signing FA to prove a point. If it's true that their revenue share has dropped and MLB profits have doubled, then maybe they have a point?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: Since the Bucs are now the only team to not sign a free agent to a MLB contract this offseason, maybe it would be a good plan to sign someone now to show the Players Association they are complying with revenue sharing rules.

Why doesn't it matter how many moves in general or minor league contracts?  Aren't minor leaguers in the Union too.

This will be kind of interesting.  I don't really see a case, but I am sure I am a little bias.  Funny how this is happening this year and not previous years.  Other teams would be in question too. 

The Brewers, for example, had such a low payroll last year but they make two trades to raise their payroll to where the Pirates are and all of the sudden they are trying to win?  For some reason, that doesn't matter.  Silly.

It happens this year because three teams have definitely tanked trying to improve the roster.  Silly is using the Brewers or the Astros which you have used in the passed as examples.

You don't think the Brewers significantly improved their roster?  They might be where we are money wise (I think they are over), but they sure as hell have a better chance to win.

Bottom line ... Nutting got a check for 50 million from the Disney thing.  He will add another check between 20-40 million in revenue sharing.  Our payroll will be less than those numbers, is revenue sharing check is 30 or more million.  Please don't add the 2.5 million we are sending to SFG as something to our payroll that helps this roster.  He will be pocketing more than he spent on that $$$ alone.

That is the gripe and that is a good gripe to have.  I don't think there have been three teams like this purge in the same season and not really do anything to improve their club.

You are in defense mode for the Pirate brass, which is very typical.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Easy way to fix this issue. Also one in which the players would approve. MLB needs to institute a minimum payroll floor for all teams. There’s no way a cap will ever get passed but a minimum floor would. This would ensure that owners such as Nutting or the Marlins ownership spend on the ML payroll commensurate to the revenue MLB is creating. For example; if the average team payroll is say 150M. Then you set a minimum of say 120M or whatever the weighted numbers support.