Maybe I Am Too Optimistic

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

After Kingham’s win today I think a future starting staff of Taillon, Musgrove, Kingham and Keller along with whoever grabs the number five spot may be a good rotation. Again one has to hope that none of the pitchers has a serious injury.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Personally I think it's way too soon to give up on any of the young starters we have including Kuhl whom you didn't mention. So having some optimism in this group is IMO not misplaced. All of these guys are 25 or 26. They all have the talent to be good starting pitchers if they're coached properly (granted a big IF there). They need to be more consistent, and that usually comes with experience which they're getting now. In short, I'm optimistic as well, but I don't expect to see a great rotation overnight. It's gonna take some time, like years.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I don’t want to compare them to three of the Braves pitchers in the late eighties and early nineties,but Glavine, Avery and Smoltz had their growing pains before they took off to be good pitchers. It does take patience with young pitchers, and I believe the Pirates may have the beginning of a good starting staff.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

unfortunately they're always going to underperform ( I would say significantly) whatever they're truly capable of if we keep running this clownshow defense out there behind them.

Agree and think we should stick it out with the rotation we have, minus Nova, plus the depth we have coming through.  We really don't have much of a choice anyway, though we could try to trade some of these guys off. (I wouldn't do that other than Nova)

Also think we need a full re-tooling of the infield moving forward.   Our infield flat out sucks.  Can't field and can't hit.   what good is it?   Oh I get it...  Bell and Moran have 5 years of control!    ::)

number of outs left on the field and innings extended by our misplays and/or complete lack of range is mind-numbing. 
Quail

Post by Quail »

3A333B2A245E0 wrote: unfortunately they're always going to underperform ( I would say significantly) whatever they're truly capable of if we keep running this clownshow defense out there behind them.

Agree and think we should stick it out with the rotation we have, minus Nova, plus the depth we have coming through.  We really don't have much of a choice anyway, though we could try to trade some of these guys off. (I wouldn't do that other than Nova)

Also think we need a full re-tooling of the infield moving forward.   Our infield flat out sucks.  Can't field and can't hit.   what good is it?   Oh I get it...  Bell and Moran have 5 years of control!    ::)

number of outs left on the field and innings extended by our misplays and/or complete lack of range is mind-numbing. 

The problem with the infield defense (or lack thereof) is something I've also been concerned about. I agree with you that with the defense we have currently no pitching staff is going to reach their potential. Recently I've been wondering if Moran and Diaz could make a good 1B platoon. They don't have the defensive skills to be any kind of decent long term solution at their 2 current positions, but offensively that combo might be quite productive at 1B where defense might be a bit less critical.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

212820313F450 wrote: unfortunately they're always going to underperform ( I would say significantly) whatever they're truly capable of if we keep running this clownshow defense out there behind them.

it makes sense that a team that wants pitchers to get opponents to hit ground balls would want to have a good defensive infield. This team's best fielder (probably Harrison) is about average and other three are below.

What kind of gm would construct a team like that?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just a guess, but I think Moran will only be with Pittsburgh for only a couple years. If Hayes continues his hitting in AA and advances to Indy next season, he could arrive in Pittsburgh in September 2019. His glove is probably MLB ready now, but he needs those minor league at bats.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7C70712A232A222F28372D1A0 wrote: Just a guess, but I think Moran will only be with Pittsburgh for only a couple years. If Hayes continues his hitting in AA and advances to Indy next season, he could arrive in Pittsburgh in September 2019. His glove is probably MLB ready now, but he needs those minor league at bats.

The way Bell has played I think Moran may move to first if his bat comes through and Bell can't improve his glove and bat from this season.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4945441F161F171A1D02182F0 wrote: Just a guess, but I think Moran will only be with Pittsburgh for only a couple years. If Hayes continues his hitting in AA and advances to Indy next season, he could arrive in Pittsburgh in September 2019. His glove is probably MLB ready now, but he needs those minor league at bats.

Hopefully so.   Thry should move him to 1b now.    He has no MLB future anywhere else, other than DH if he ends up hitting well enough. 

No offense, because I've read the same reports on hayes, but there have been so many misses on defensive evaluations, that I cannot trust any of the until I see it for myself.

(Sanchez, Diaz, Polanco, Meadows, tabata, Cutch)
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think there are a lot of things to be encouraged about, but I think we should veer from optimism until we see signs from the front office.

On the Mark Madden - Tim Williams axis, I am definitely on the Tim Williams side on the Pirates. I think we are finally at the nexus of the NH vision, deep pool of young players in their pre-arb years on the ML roster with some veterans under manageable contracts. A glut of prospects at the top levels of the minors, and a load of upside guys in the lower levels. They have recently had to add two minor league teams so that they could get their prospects playing time.

But while they've been able to fill ML roster spots with capable in house players (looking especially at the pitching staff), these aren't flash guys. And replacing Mercer with Newman and Harrison with Kramer isn't going to push this team into the playoffs. They have a higher floor than a lot of teams, but limited ceiling. The FO needs to figure out how to leverage prospects and money to upgrade the roster. I don't know that they know how to do that.