10 Random Thoughts at the Break

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

1. Despite the recent errors, I feel good about Elias Diaz as our new starting catcher beginning right now. I think he's legit.

2. I think Cervelli is finished behind the plate ... which is a shame since he was having a career year offensively.

3. Granted it's been good this past week, but I'm still not buying our starting pitching. Way too inconsistent and not nearly enough high-end talent.

4. I'm basically shocked our bullpen has become dependable and in fact very effective ... with a clear plan to hold a lead starting in the 6th innning. Not sure how long it will last, but it's working right now.

5. Overall Polanco is a mess, but man he definitely has legit power and can change an offense completely when he's going good. If he can provide the power, you take the baserunning and defensive baggage that comes along with him.

6. Marte has had an excellent year, both offensively and defensively, and stealing bases. I hope he can prove now that he can be consistenly great over long stretches. That's something he has yet to do at this level.

7. Corey Dickerson has been a really nice addition. Lacking the power a bit, but he's a clearly a good hitter and a pleasant surprise defensively.

8. With that said, I'm not sure what to do about the outfield. Trading Dickerson makes no sense to me (he's good, and affordable), but at the same time I recognize that Meadows is ready to be playing every day at this point. You can't trade Marte, in my opinion. Polanco provides the most power on a team desperate for home runs. So maybe you have to trade Dickerson just to get Meadows in the lineup. Tough call for Neal & Co.

9. Not sure what to think about Bell. I thought he was a lock to have another big year, but that definitely hasn't happened. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, though. I think he has enough "professional hitter" in him to figure it out at some point and break out.

10. Colin Moran has his flaws for sure, but overall I like him. Bottom line, he knows how to hit. His future may be as a 1B/3B utility guy ... especially if Kang (ever) comes back. But Moran has been a solid pickup in my opinion and has done a nice job filling a hole in the lineup. he's also proven to be pretty good in the clutch. (And I acknowledge I'm biased because he's a fellow Tar Heel).
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

694B58454643444B685F4949452A0 wrote: 1. Despite the recent errors, I feel good about Elias Diaz as our new starting catcher beginning right now. I think he's legit.

2. I think Cervelli is finished behind the plate ... which is a shame since he was having a career year offensively.

3. Granted it's been good this past week, but I'm still not buying our starting pitching. Way too inconsistent and not nearly enough high-end talent.

4. I'm basically shocked our bullpen has become dependable and in fact very effective ... with a clear plan to hold a lead starting in the 6th innning. Not sure how long it will last, but it's working right now.

5. Overall Polanco is a mess, but man he definitely has legit power and can change an offense completely when he's going good. If he can provide the power, you take the baserunning and defensive baggage that comes along with him.

6. Marte has had an excellent year, both offensively and defensively, and stealing bases. I hope he can prove now that he can be consistenly great over long stretches. That's something he has yet to do at this level.

7. Corey Dickerson has been a really nice addition. Lacking the power a bit, but he's a clearly a good hitter and a pleasant surprise defensively.

8. With that said, I'm not sure what to do about the outfield. Trading Dickerson makes no sense to me (he's good, and affordable), but at the same time I recognize that Meadows is ready to be playing every day at this point. You can't trade Marte, in my opinion. Polanco provides the most power on a team desperate for home runs. So maybe you have to trade Dickerson just to get Meadows in the lineup. Tough call for Neal & Co.

9. Not sure what to think about Bell. I thought he was a lock to have another big year, but that definitely hasn't happened. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, though. I think he has enough "professional hitter" in him to figure it out at some point and break out.

10. Colin Moran has his flaws for sure, but overall I like him. Bottom line, he knows how to hit. His future may be as a 1B/3B utility guy ... especially if Kang (ever) comes back. But Moran has been a solid pickup in my opinion and has done a nice job filling a hole in the lineup. he's also proven to be pretty good in the clutch. (And I acknowledge I'm biased because he's a fellow Tar Heel).

Good post. I don't think the jury is out on Cervelli being done at catcher. He certainly has had his share of concussions and perhaps should be done, but I would guess he will go back behind the plate unless doctors tell him it is very risky.

you are a Tar Heel? I must have missed this as I thought you were a Gamecock for certain.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Gamecock? Please don't say that about me.

Born and raised a Tar Heel and also went to school at UNC. And both of my kids go there now.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Diaz makes too many throwing errors and some of the countless wild pitches look like they could have been blocked but weren't. He's hitting well, which is a pleasant surprise but he needs to improve behind the plate.

I thought this season would be interesting to see how the starting pitchers developed. I've been disappointed. Taillon still is not showing signs of being a consistent, dominant pitcher. This is Kuhl's 3rd season and he looks like nothing more than a #4 and now he's hurt. Williams has to have pinpoint control to get by without "stuff" and that's difficult to do consistently. So he can have as many bad as good games and looks like a #5. The jury's still out on Musgrove and Kingham. Both have looked very good at times but both have a tendency to leave fat pitches over the plate. Sometimes you get away with that. Sometimes you don't. Brault has regressed. Glasnow still inspires no confidence. As many have said, the Pirates seem to be developing a rotation of very average at best pitchers. Maybe trading 1 of their 4 good outfielders could bring in a better pitcher.

Bell has problems with his swing. He began last season short-arming everything and was hitting .214 after the first 20 games. Then he got his arms extended and wound up with 26 HRs. This year he started off chopping down or short-arming until recently. Now he's swinging well and I think the HRs will follow. But is this always going to be a problem for him, getting into bad habits with his swing?

I'm disappointed at how bad a 3Bman Moran is. Unless he becomes a 30 HR guy (which is doubtful), that shoddy defense will be tough to take. His future may be a 1B-3B utility guy who could provide some offense without playing in the field too regularly.

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I think trading Dickerson would be nuts. Yes, I see that creates problems in the outfield (what to do about Meadows?) but it's not a bad problem to have.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation next year of Taillon, Kingham, Musgrove, Glasnow, and T. Williams, with Keller ready to step in for whoever stinks/gets injured. I'd be happier with a free-agent veteran in there but if somebody like Nova is the ceiling then we may as well skip it and see what the young guys can do.

The real weak spot is middle infield. Christ, you'd think they'd have to sign somebody given the PR disaster of last year but maybe that's me being naive. It probably is.

But if Kang can come back and be something resembling his old self, and we get one of the Seinfeld brothers up to go with Free Agent 2B/SS to be named later, I'd feel pretty good about 2019.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2E222B26316D372A2E2C372B3A717303242E430 wrote: I think trading Dickerson would be nuts. Yes, I see that creates problems in the outfield (what to do about Meadows?) but it's not a bad problem to have.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation next year of Taillon, Kingham, Musgrove, Glasnow, and T. Williams, with Keller ready to step in for whoever stinks/gets injured. I'd be happier with a free-agent veteran in there but if somebody like Nova is the ceiling then we may as well skip it and see what the young guys can do.

The real weak spot is middle infield. Christ, you'd think they'd have to sign somebody given the PR disaster of last year but maybe that's me being naive. It probably is.

But if Kang can come back and be something resembling his old self, and we get one of the Seinfeld brothers up to go with Free Agent 2B/SS to be named later, I'd feel pretty good about 2019.

Welcome, Davis!@

It would hurt a little to trade one of our outfielders--but as they say, you have to give to get. It's more important to have three decent starting pitchers than it is to have four decent outfield options
maher.timothy20@gm

Thanks, Sammy.

I hear you, and this might sound blasphemous, but if I had to trade one outfielder it might be Meadows (assuming we can sign Dickerson long-term before we do it).

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

424E474A5D015B4642405B47561D1F6F48422F0 wrote: Thanks, Sammy.

I hear you, and this might sound blasphemous, but if I had to trade one outfielder it might be Meadows (assuming we can sign Dickerson long-term before we do it).

I think Marte would get a most worthy return right now
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I think Polanco they should try pretty vigorously to trade Polanco. Maybe they fixed his approach, but they haven't fit him with new hamstrings.
maher.timothy20@gm

54666A6A7E4C6F666B6E6166070 wrote: Thanks, Sammy.

I think Marte would get a most worthy return right now

Sure he would, but at what point are the guys who'd get the best return the guys you'd actually want to keep? I guess it depends on whether you think they're capable of contending next year. I think they do. Again, maybe, I'm naive, but:

I like the outfield of Dickerson, Marte, and Polanco. I think all of those guys are entering the best years of their careers.

I think Diaz will be fine at catcher. Maybe not a gold glover but good enough.

The bullpen needs more arms but there's a nice foundation in Vasquez, Crick, Rodriguez. I'd throw Kuhl in there, too.

Taillon, Kingham, Musgrove, Glasnow, and T. Williams or Keller looks pretty good to me. Better than Liriano/Niese/Locke/Vogelsong, etc.

Josh Bell's had a sophomore slump but that's common enough that there's a name for it. He's hitting the ball as hard as anyone lately and I'll be shocked if he doesn't have a much better year next year.

So that leaves the rest of the infield that needs an upgrade. We're not getting Manny Machado, but, I don't know, Escobar? Plus possibly Kang, Newman/Kramer.

That doesn't strike me as a bad team.