Butch Hobson does McLendon one better . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

You gotta see this from and Indy league game

Butch Hobson goes McLendon one better

This is hilarious both nights.  Billy Martin, Earl Weaver and Lloyd McLendon all wrapped into one.
BenM

Post by BenM »

64454D644F47200 wrote: You gotta see this from and Indy league game

Butch Hobson goes McLendon one better

This is hilarious both nights.  Billy Martin, Earl Weaver and Lloyd McLendon all wrapped into one.

Sounds like a name out of The Natural.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Hobson was a power hitting 3Bman for Boston years ago. Hit 30 HRs in 1977 but K'd 162 times that year.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: Hobson was a power hitting 3Bman for Boston years ago. Hit 30 HRs in 1977 but K'd 162 times that year.

didn't he manage the Red Sox at one point?

Also received a package of cocaine in the mail (or some other drug)?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1F39382F39295A0 wrote: Hobson was a power hitting 3Bman for Boston years ago. Hit 30 HRs in 1977 but K'd 162 times that year.

Yeah, he managed them 92-94. I don't know about the drug story.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: Hobson was a power hitting 3Bman for Boston years ago. Hit 30 HRs in 1977 but K'd 162 times that year.

I was curious and looked him up on baseball reference. He was a fan favorite for way he hustled. His bio there has this paragraph:

Don Zimmer served as Hobson's bench coach in 1992 and theorized in his book Zim that substance abuse, alcohol in particular, played a role in Hobson's failure as a Red Sox manager. His substance-abuse problem was exposed to all in May 1996. After his dismissal from the Red Sox, Hobson became the manager of the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons. On May 4, 1996, his team was in Pawtucket to play the PawSox. Hobson was arrested in his hotel room on a felony charge of cocaine possession. Approximately 2.6 grams of cocaine (about $120 in value) were alleged to have been found in Hobson's shaving kit, having been sent to Hobson in a Federal Express package by a former friend from Alabama named Jerry Poe. Poe owed Hobson money and sent the supposedly unsolicited drugs in payment of that debt. On August 8, 1996, Hobson was fired by the Philadelphia Phillies, Scranton's parent club. He was able to resolve the drug charge without a guilty finding in exchange for entering a first-offender program and performing approximately 60 hours of community service. He denied ever using cocaine while managing the Red Sox or the Red Barons. He has acknowledged a past history with the drug that began when he was a player. "I came up in an era when that (using drugs) was what you were supposed to do. As a good old boy from Alabama, I thought that was the way to fit in. It probably cost me three or four years of baseball," he said.4
BenM

Post by BenM »

052322352333400 wrote: Hobson was a power hitting 3Bman for Boston years ago. Hit 30 HRs in 1977 but K'd 162 times that year.

I was curious and looked him up on baseball reference. He was a fan favorite for way he hustled. His bio there has this paragraph:

Don Zimmer served as Hobson's bench coach in 1992 and theorized in his book Zim that substance abuse, alcohol in particular, played a role in Hobson's failure as a Red Sox manager. His substance-abuse problem was exposed to all in May 1996. After his dismissal from the Red Sox, Hobson became the manager of the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons. On May 4, 1996, his team was in Pawtucket to play the PawSox. Hobson was arrested in his hotel room on a felony charge of cocaine possession. Approximately 2.6 grams of cocaine (about $120 in value) were alleged to have been found in Hobson's shaving kit, having been sent to Hobson in a Federal Express package by a former friend from Alabama named Jerry Poe. Poe owed Hobson money and sent the supposedly unsolicited drugs in payment of that debt. On August 8, 1996, Hobson was fired by the Philadelphia Phillies, Scranton's parent club. He was able to resolve the drug charge without a guilty finding in exchange for entering a first-offender program and performing approximately 60 hours of community service. He denied ever using cocaine while managing the Red Sox or the Red Barons. He has acknowledged a past history with the drug that began when he was a player. "I came up in an era when that (using drugs) was what you were supposed to do. As a good old boy from Alabama, I thought that was the way to fit in. It probably cost me three or four years of baseball," he said.4

He played from '75 to '82. The Pittsburgh drug trial in '85 revealed that a lot of guys were using a lot of drugs.