Marte CF

Polanco RF

Bell 1st

Moran 3rd

Diaz C

Frazier 2nd

Mercer SS

Musgrove P

No day off for Polanco like Clint had said the other day. Other than Freese not being in there and Moran playing 3rd I have no issues with this lineup today. Rodriguez is a pretty good pitcher so the Pirates are going to need to take advantage of every good opportunity they get today, and Musgrove needs to be on top of his game as well.
JollyRoger

8/12 Game Thread Bucs@Giants

Post by JollyRoger »

Let’s hope Muscrat Love is on his game today.

I hope the Bucs re-sign Freese

His leadership will be needed as the Bucs contend over the next few years

It’s a travesty that we are not going for a 4 game sweep today.

I wonder if Hurdle and NH read the article that blasted them for starting Holmes when the pitching staff was already well rested.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

just win baby!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Interesting that Hurdle changed his mind about resting Polanco today. He's been widely criticized by fans and media since the Holmes debacle. A while back when he was widely criticized for lifting Taillon too soon, he responded by leaving Musgrove in longer than he should have. Not that he expected Musgrove to fail but I think it showed he was responding to criticism. Now he's being criticized for too often not putting his best players on the field and suddenly he changes his mind about resting Polanco. This is actually a pretty good lineup---and it's SUNDAY!
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Glasnow today, 5 innings, 2 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts.

If Archer doesn't look great in his next start I'm going to start having buyer's remorse.
mouse

Post by mouse »

The problem with getting a name player anytime is you overpay. You pay for the name versus the results and the likely results over the next few years. If you do it at the trade deadline you really, really overpay. Hard to say how Glasnow will turn out (I think very good) but you can be sure the others in the deal will make it an overpay. But it is what people were screaming for, and with attendance being what it was, I suspect NH was under some pressure.
maher.timothy20@gm

I agree with all that but the thing that pisses me off is that we didn't give him a chance to start this year to see what he could do.

Yeah I know he bombed last year and I thought starting out of the pen this year was the way to go. But back in April I presumed he'd been starting by June.

Imagine if he had gotten into the rotation and he'd gotten these results. Would we still have traded him? No fucking way.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Also, it looked like TB was not getting much in Glasnow other than unfulfilled promise. So the main guy was Meadows and the PTBNL could be very significant as well. So if Glasnow turns out to be the real deal it will be the real steal for TB even if Archer does very well for the Bucs. .
maher.timothy20@gm

Yes but not to beat a dead horse--the reason his promise was "unfulfilled" was because we didn't give him a chance to start. If we'd started him back in June maybe we'd be thinking okay, this is the guy we'd been waiting for.
maher.timothy20@gm

Although if I want to be a glass half full guy, everybody talks about how we gave up Cole without recognizing what we gained in Musgrove (not to mention the other pieces).