Hurdle thinks S-Rod can spark the offense!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

OMG! I'm not kidding.

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates/140 ... e-activity

Hurdle downplayed the suggestion that Jose Osuna, Pablo Reyes or any other player now at Triple-A would be better than anyone on the current 25-man roster in regards to lifting a lineup that has produced six runs over its past six games.

But then, unsolicited, Hurdle mentioned someone whom the organization apparently believes could.

“You’ve got one in-house, right here; Sean Rodriguez is getting ready to (come off) the DL,” Hurdle said, referring to the .163-hitting, 33-year-old super-utility player.

notes34

Post by notes34 »

>:( Please, please, please fire Hurdle!
mouse

Post by mouse »

Gulp. If Hurdle's right, and S-Rod is better than those guys, what does that say about the Pirates minor league system?
BenM

Post by BenM »

I've read that quote three times and I'm still in disbelief.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Notes34 is spot on.

If our Manager really believes such, and is not simply trying to motivate S-Rod and let him know that he is valued, than Hurdle is delusional. And, even if he made this statement with the intent of trying to let S-Rod know that he is valued, he is still delusional.

Hurdle is not the reason that this team is not hitting. Regardless, he needs to go for so many other sins.

Dear Clint ---- S-Rod is not the embodiment of you when you were a player. Time to let go.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0A262E292205322434470 wrote: Notes34 is spot on.

If our Manager really believes such, and is not simply trying to motivate S-Rod and let him know that he is valued, than Hurdle is delusional.  And, even if he made this statement with the intent of trying to let S-Rod know that he is valued, he is still delusional.

Hurdle is not the reason that this team is not hitting. Regardless, he needs to go for so many other sins.

Dear Clint ---- S-Rod is not the embodiment of you when you were a player.  Time to let go.   

Hurdle's statement flummoxed me. I thought there was no way S-Rod would be activated prior to September 1. Seeing him with team yesterday makes me think they may activate him any day.

Just makes no sense at all to have him in any plans for this team as a player.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

674140574151220 wrote: Notes34 is spot on.

If our Manager really believes such, and is not simply trying to motivate S-Rod and let him know that he is valued, than Hurdle is delusional.  And, even if he made this statement with the intent of trying to let S-Rod know that he is valued, he is still delusional.

Dear Clint ---- S-Rod is not the embodiment of you when you were a player.  Time to let go.   

Hurdle's statement flummoxed me.  I thought there was no way S-Rod would be activated prior to September 1.  Seeing him with team yesterday makes me think they may activate him any day. 

Just makes no sense at all to have him in any plans for this team as a player.
It's consistent with the Hurdle/NH attitude that these games just don't really matter. They'd rather rest players than try to win. Even from the beginning of the season they allowed Polanco and Bell to remain for months in the top of the lineup while trying to battle themselves out of lengthy slumps. The killing of a recent 3-game winning streak by essentially forfeiting a SF game by recalling Holmes to start and and rest a well-rested pitching rotation. The endless use of S-Rod who remained a hitting and fielding liability. And now that the hitting desperately needs a fresh shot in the arm, Hurdle's solution is in so many words, 'What the heck, let's just give S-Rod another chance.'

I don't think it's coincidence that the hitting went south right after they scored 10 runs in the Holmes game that CH/NH were clearly punting on. Even though they scored 4 the next day, 3 of those runs came on one fortunate swing by Bell whose HRs are few and far between. And since then, scoring even 1 run has become a major obstacle. I think the players saw exactly how disinterested CH/NH were in winning and the energy was just sapped right out of the clubhouse. Not that the players aren't trying but when they are on a 3-game winning streak and score 10 runs and lose a game they needed to win because team management sabotaged them, it's got to effect their intensity. And now when they can't seem to score a run, they see Hurdle looking to S-Rod and his .163 BA for the answer. I suspect that clubhouse is not a happy place. We've already seen Marte give up.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

This has become the baseball equivalent of Caligula's horse.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6A594544474F79445F43585F4E42452B0 wrote: This has become the baseball equivalent of Caligula's horse.
Except that the horse could hit better. :D
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

Feliz optioned today, a hitter should be added tomorrow...dare it be....