Good article on Hurdle...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/it ... ce-pirates

Good read and a lot of good reasons pointed out why it might be time for Clint to go.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Well said! Although I think Hurdle is genuinely a great guy he has over stayed his welcome and effectiveness as Pirates skipper.

A new younger more up to date guy with some fire that will not take any BS from guys like Marte, Polanco is needed. Any new skipper will have to maximize the skills of the players he is given and go from there.

Along with a new skipper come some new coaches. I for one like the idea mentioned somewhere previously that they hire Mike "The Fort" McKenry to coach somewhere, and why not the guy who I think is the best analyst on the broadcasters John "Rock" Wehner as well. Both of these guys were mainly scrubs as MLB players but they seem to know what it takes to get where they got and how to maintain their minimal ability to help the team.

Other than that I think they need to go outside the organization looking. Find someone who is not influence by the current system.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D6A7B7F7A67586C7B7A7A671E0 wrote: https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/it ... ce-pirates

Good read and a lot of good reasons pointed out why it might be time for Clint to go.
It's way too vague. There are many, many reasons Hurdle gets in the way of winning and needs to go. But all the article is willing to say is that he's too comfortable in his job, his message is stale (whatever that means) and his team plays passively. Furthermore, he signed a 4 year extension, not 3 as the article states, which makes it even less likely he would be fired after 1 year of that new contract.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1A3B331A31395E0 wrote: Well said!  Although I think Hurdle is genuinely a great guy he has over stayed his welcome and effectiveness as Pirates skipper. 

A new younger more up to date guy with some fire that will not take any BS from guys like Marte, Polanco is needed.  Any new skipper will have to maximize the skills of the players he is given and go from there. 

Along with a new skipper come some new coaches.  I for one like the idea mentioned somewhere previously that they hire Mike "The Fort" McKenry to coach somewhere, and why not the guy who I think is the best analyst on the broadcasters John "Rock" Wehner as well.  Both of these guys were mainly scrubs as MLB players but they seem to know what it takes to get where they got and how to maintain their minimal ability to help the team.

Other than that I think they need to go outside the organization looking.  Find someone who is not influence by the current system. 
Wehner has minor league coaching experience with Altoona. He wasn't a great player but he knows the game and he understands techniques.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

There is precedence for hiring Wehner.

Jerry Coleman of the 1980 Padres came out of the booth and managed one season with less than sterling results. Although he did lead them to 5 more wins than in the 1979 season.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I’m not in favor of replacing Hurdle. Don’t want another McClendon, Tracy, or the walking dead zombie....Russell.

However if I was forced to consider a replacement; I like the temperament of Bob Walk. Doubt he would want that job though.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I couldn't read the article but I think there are managers who are builders and there are those who are closers. I think Clint was the right guy to start the winning but not the right guy to close. I like Clint and will always thank him for ending the losing streak but I think it is time for a spark. I don't think Clint is a good disciplinarian and I also think he has been with the Pirates so long that they have stopped listening to him. I might be different if they team had made it to a world series but this team doesn't play like they are afraid of the coach. It all seems to be about having fun when they are winning. I am not opposed to that but it better not be fun while you are losing. We need accountability and desire to win.
BenM

Post by BenM »

577A77666170672724150 wrote: https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/it ... ce-pirates

It's way too vague. There are many, many reasons Hurdle gets in the way of winning and needs to go. But all the article is willing to say is that he's too comfortable in his job, his message is stale (whatever that means) and his team plays passively. Furthermore, he signed a 4 year extension, not 3 as the article states, which makes it even less likely he would be fired after 1 year of that new contract.

And on top of that Neal still has three plus years on his contract so he's not at the point where he has to show any urgency with respect to Clint.

I'm kind of ambivalent on firing Hurdle because I think Huntington is the bigger problem. He's the one responsible for the draft. He's the one responsible for player development. He's the one responsible for an advanced stats crew that failed to build on the advantages they had in the mid 2010s. And anyone he hires will have to be on board with the way he currently runs the franchise.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

082F24074A0 wrote: https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/it ... ce-pirates

And on top of that Neal still has three plus years on his contract so he's not at the point where he has to show any urgency with respect to Clint.

I'm kind of ambivalent on firing Hurdle because I think Huntington is the bigger problem. He's the one responsible for the draft. He's the one responsible for player development. He's the one responsible for an advanced stats crew that failed to build on the advantages they had in the mid 2010s. And anyone he hires will have to be on board with the way he currently runs the franchise.

I think if Hurdle gets fired it will be Neal doing it. Neal won't do it unless he thinks firing Hurdle will help keep Neal as GM.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Hey fire them both.