Freese to Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Freese to Dodgers

Post by JollyRoger »

Just saw Dodgers traded for Freese. Didn’t see the return. I’m bummed because I wanted Freese to be extended. Maybe the Bucs can re-sign him in the off season
JollyRoger

Freese to Dodgers

Post by JollyRoger »

Traded for Jesus Valdez- Inf

Not listed on Dodgers top 30 prospects
SCBucco

Freese to Dodgers

Post by SCBucco »

NH moved Hechavarria to the Yanks.
DemDog

Freese to Dodgers

Post by DemDog »

Here is what Tim William at P2 has to say about Valdez:

Valdez didn’t sign until he was 19 years old (signed on July 3, 2017) and he hit .230/.343/.412 in 60 games in the DSL this year. He went 16-for-23 in steals and played all four infield positions. He’s a right-handed hitter, who stands 6’0″, 175 pounds. He appears to be a non-prospect, as nothing really stands out about his game and he was old for the level.

And on the Hechavarria deal he says:

They sent infielder Adeiny Hechavarria to the New York Yankees for a player to be named later or cash. The Pirates also included cash in the deal, which off-sets some of his salary, so the Yankees can remain under the luxury tax threshold.

My take is with the Freese deal it is a salary dump of a little over $1 million between his salary left for 2018 amd the $500,000 buyout of his 2019 option.

I have mixed feeling about the Freese deal. Sure would have been nice to have him back in 2019 for his vet presence and versatility in the field. These two moves tell me that NH is going into "full" rebuild mode in 2019 unless they plan on being active in the FA market this winter. The 2 open 40-man roster spots can make it easier to protect some kids they may have not been able to protect for the Rule 5 draft.
Bobster21

Freese to Dodgers

Post by Bobster21 »

4D6C644D666E090 wrote: Here is what Tim William at P2 has to say about Valdez:

Valdez didn’t sign until he was 19 years old (signed on July 3, 2017) and he hit .230/.343/.412 in 60 games in the DSL this year. He went 16-for-23 in steals and played all four infield positions. He’s a right-handed hitter, who stands 6’0″, 175 pounds. He appears to be a non-prospect, as nothing really stands out about his game and he was old for the level.

They sent infielder Adeiny Hechavarria to the New York Yankees for a player to be named later or cash. The Pirates also included cash in the deal, which off-sets some of his salary, so the Yankees can remain under the luxury tax threshold.

My take is with the Freese deal it is a salary dump of a little over $1 million between his salary left for 2018 amd the $500,000 buyout of his 2019 option.

I have mixed feeling about the Freese deal.  Sure would have been nice to have him back in 2019 for his vet presence and versatility in the field.  These two moves tell me that NH is going into "full" rebuild mode in 2019 unless they plan on being active in the FA market this winter.  The 2 open 40-man roster spots can make it easier to protect some kids they may have not been able to protect for the Rule 5 draft.
Moving Freese also makes it more likely Kang will be back next year.
DemDog

Freese to Dodgers

Post by DemDog »

446964757263743437060 wrote: Here is what Tim William at P2 has to say about Valdez:

I have mixed feeling about the Freese deal.  Sure would have been nice to have him back in 2019 for his vet presence and versatility in the field.  These two moves tell me that NH is going into "full" rebuild mode in 2019 unless they plan on being active in the FA market this winter.  The 2 open 40-man roster spots can make it easier to protect some kids they may have not been able to protect for the Rule 5 draft.
Moving Freese also makes it more likely Kang will be back next year.

Didn't think about Kang. That may buffer some of the hurt from losing Freese and I think it will save them some money.
maher.timothy20@gm

Freese to Dodgers

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Really liked Freese, but I was dreading the prospect of a Moran/Freese platoon at third next year.

At least this seems like a sign that they recognize we need a new plan at third.

Would love to see Kang back and playing well, but I'm guessing there's a 10 percent chance of that happening.
DemDog

Freese to Dodgers

Post by DemDog »

6D616865722E74696D6F746879323040676D000 wrote: Really liked Freese, but I was dreading the prospect of a Moran/Freese platoon at third next year.

At least this seems like a sign that they recognize we need a new plan at third.

Would love to see Kang back and playing well, but I'm guessing there's a 10 percent chance of that happening.

Unfortunately you are probably correct about Kang but he could surprise us. As for Freese/Moran it looks like they are planning on using Moran over there next year. And that scares me due to his defensive limitations. He will never remind you of Brooks Robinson. But it is early to pencil in players for 2019. TBMTIB just might think out of the box and spend some money on a top line or near top line FA. Time will tell.
Bobster21

Freese to Dodgers

Post by Bobster21 »

No guarantee on Kang of course but I believe the Freese deal means Kang will at least get an opportunity to win a spot next spring. If he looks good in ST he could platoon with Moran at 3B and I suspect they would have him also work at 1B. Freese was also the defensive upgrade at 1B for Bell and S-Rod used to fill that role for Alvarez. Right now Cervelli is the only other one who can play there. They will surely add someone for next year. Maybe Osuna but it would be nice if Kang could fill the role Freese had this year.
INbuc

Freese to Dodgers

Post by INbuc »

This is beginning to take on the appearance of a Newman - Frazier - Kramer middle infield mix next year. And I am ok with that as a base. I am sure a glove man will be added.

Newman and Frazier may have lower ceilings, but they are professional hitters. Kramer is finishing his AAA year hitting .310, with an OPS of .856, and 15 HR. Pretty stout for a 2Bman.

It is time for turnover in that area. If Kang returns to prior form, and the Kevins and Frazier succeed, it will elevate this team a notch or two over where we have been.

Reyes could provide other options while Tucker's cake continues to bake.