If ...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

If ...

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Just wondering ...

If this was a good franchise, a normal franchise, a COMPETENT franchise, a franchise committing to winning, would our starting rotation be as follows ...

* Cole

* Glasnow (Tampa version)

* Morton

* Taillon

* Williams

fjk090852-7

If ...

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I cannot fault the Pirates for letting Morton leave. He had several years to prove himself and he was no better than a .500 pitcher I will admit he pitched a great game in game 4 of the 2013 Division Series, but Wacha was a little better.
SCBucco

If ...

Post by SCBucco »

4D6F7C616267606F4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: Just wondering ...

If this was a good franchise, a normal franchise, a COMPETENT franchise, a franchise committing to winning, would our starting rotation be as follows ...

* Cole

* Glasnow (Tampa version)

* Morton

* Taillon

* Williams

Morton wasn't a good pitcher here. He was mediocre at best. You realize he was 21 games below .500 and had a 4.40 ERA in Pittsburgh, right? No one could have seen that coming from Ground Chuck right now. Cole, I'm a firm believer needed a change of scenery. After that stud year, he slid back drastically. Glasnow, let's see if he develops. I'm still not convinced he will.

Our rotation next year could be pretty darn good.
maher.timothy20@gm

If ...

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.
Quail

If ...

Post by Quail »

Playing devil's advocate I'd say that Williams is likely a mediocre pitcher with another franchise. For whatever it is that the Pirates lacked in getting Cole to the level he's reached with Houston they've managed to take a guy with average stuff and turn him into a Greg Maddox clone. Call that even.

As others have pointed out Morton was not a good pitcher here, with Atlanta before or Philadelphia after. He's just one of those guys who figured things out late in his career at age 33. Dumb luck timing, not the Pirates fault.

Glasnow better than Archer? Too soon to tell.

I'll take a 2019 rotation of:

Taillon

Williams

Archer

Musgrove

Kingham, Kuhl, Keller, Brault

and be plenty happy!

CarolinaBucco

If ...

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Take the first four names on that list, and add a proven, legit left-handed starter (a JA Happ or Gio Gonzalez type) and I'll be happy as well.

We really need a solid lefty.
rucker59@gmail.com

If ...

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

636F666B7C207A6763617A66773C3E4E69630E0 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

Yeah. Personally, I like Musgrove in a Pirate’s uniform better than I liked Cole.  I’m not saying Joe is better than Cole, just a better Pirate.
Bobster21

If ...

Post by Bobster21 »

3433252D2334737F06212B272F2A6825292B460 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

Yeah. Personally, I like Musgrove in a Pirate’s uniform better than I liked Cole.  I’m not saying Joe is better than Cole, just a better Pirate.

Yeah, it's important to remember the Pirates traded the Cole who had regressed to mediocrity the previous 2 years, not the Cole who benefited from a change of scenery, change of pitching philosophy and input from 2 former CY Young winners.
UtahPirate

If ...

Post by UtahPirate »

202731393720676B12353F333B3E7C313D3F520 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

He pitches with intensity and plays with enthusiasm. I even get a kick out of watching him hit. It seems he loves being in the NL.
DemDog

If ...

Post by DemDog »

79584D447C455E4D58492C0 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

He pitches with intensity and plays with enthusiasm. I even get a kick out of watching him hit. It seems he loves being in the NL.

And I think he also loves being a starter. With that opportunity Musgrove seems to want to make the best of it and gives his all at every opportunity to prove that is the role in which he belongs.