Eduardo Escobar

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Eduardo Escobar

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ed01.shtml

The Pirates should go after this guy in the offseason. Can play short and third. If Kang comes back you put Escobar at short.

Could be done even in Nutting world. Could be had for the savings we get from losing Freese and Harrison.

Or Moustakas. Brewers have an option on him that I suspect they won't pick up.
SteadyFreddy

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I been pushing for them to go after Moustakas for awhile now. He is a big upgrade over Moran at 3rd and the Pirates can definitely afford him if they wanted too. Escobar as well would be a good addition like you mentioned he can play either 3rd or short. Either way the Pirates MUST upgrade at 3rd base in the offseason. You can’t go into next year with Moran as your starting 3rd baseman he is not good enough and the Pirates must improve over there. There is really absolutely no excuse for them not too.
DemDog

Eduardo Escobar

Post by DemDog »

Looks like he can field his position pretty well both at 3B and SS and offers a little bit of pop. Wonder what his lefty/righty splits are?
SCBucco

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SCBucco »

3A363F322579233E3A38233F2E656717303A570 wrote: https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ed01.shtml

The Pirates should go after this guy in the offseason. Can play short and third. If Kang comes back you put Escobar at short.

Could be done even in Nutting world. Could be had for the savings we get from losing Freese and Harrison.

Or Moustakas. Brewers have an option on him that I suspect they won't pick up.

Escobar will be out of the Pirates' price range. I would go after Moustakas if I were the Bucs. I really don't think Kang will be impactful in any shape or form here.
MaineBucs

Eduardo Escobar

Post by MaineBucs »

His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre. Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

I like the idea of adding to the offense, but Escobar may not be the best target. Also, I an not that sold on Moustakas.
SCBucco

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SCBucco »

416D6562694E796F7F0C0 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

I like the idea of adding to the offense, but Escobar may not be the best target.  Also, I an not that sold on Moustakas.   

After taking a gander at pending FAs at 3B, the options suck absent the ones that are above out pay grade (Donaldson, Beltre, Escobar). Unless Mark Reynolds is the answer, you take Moustakas and run. I'm not convinced Milwaukee will let him walk based on the options here. I'm sold on Moustakas because he is better than Moran. Kang won't do anything.
SammyKhalifa

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0E1E1F283E3E325D0 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

I like the idea of adding to the offense, but Escobar may not be the best target.  Also, I an not that sold on Moustakas.   

After taking a gander at pending FAs at 3B, the options suck absent the ones that are above out pay grade (Donaldson, Beltre, Escobar).  Unless Mark Reynolds is the answer, you take Moustakas and run.  I'm not convinced Milwaukee will let him walk based on the options here.  I'm sold on Moustakas because he is better than Moran.  Kang won't do anything.

How much better though? This year it's like 50 points of OPS, and while that's not nothing there's still the chance that Moran can improve over a rookie season. I know where you're coming from though.
notes34

Eduardo Escobar

Post by notes34 »

5E6C60607446656C61646B6C0D0 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

After taking a gander at pending FAs at 3B, the options suck absent the ones that are above out pay grade (Donaldson, Beltre, Escobar).  Unless Mark Reynolds is the answer, you take Moustakas and run.  I'm not convinced Milwaukee will let him walk based on the options here.  I'm sold on Moustakas because he is better than Moran.  Kang won't do anything.

How much better though?  This year it's like 50 points of OPS, and while that's not nothing there's still the chance that Moran can improve over a rookie season.  I know where you're coming from though.

That's just it. Where is the improvement coming from? Maybe empty batting average. He doesn't possess the physical tools to be much more than he is now. His range is terrible, he is slow, and unless he suddenly gains 30 lbs. I don't see much increase in power. I like his approach at the plate, but slapping singles to LF when your extremely slow doesn't cut it.
SCBucco

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SCBucco »

6F5D51514577545D50555A5D3C0 wrote: His numbers for this year look good, but most of the rest of his career offensive numbers have been pretty mediocre.  Less than 5 WAR in 5+ years before this season.

How much better though?  This year it's like 50 points of OPS, and while that's not nothing there's still the chance that Moran can improve over a rookie season.  I know where you're coming from though.

There are things Colin can improve on without question. Another year and some of that can show. There are things that he won't be able to change. He is slow ... he isn't that good defensively. Do you expect any power coming from him? Moustakas isn't going to win a batting title by any means ... not close either, but he brings more power ... more runs batted in and is better defensively.

To be honest, I don't see many changes coming in the offseason - if any. Mercer will be gone and his replacement will be cheaper. Harrison might be gone and if so, his replacement will be significantly cheaper. There is room for an upgrade here, especially when you consider the potential of our starting rotation. I just don't see NH doing anything on the market of significance and I don't see Milwaukee letting him walk.
SammyKhalifa

Eduardo Escobar

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I just think we can make larger improvements through the MI, and first (though I wouldn't give up on Bell). Outfield bat might be easier to come by as well. I certainly think we could use some more home run power and MM certainly would give more of that though.