Such a typical Pirates series

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This series with the Cardinals pretty much summarizes the Pirates season and the frustration of being a Pirates fan.

* Completely control and out-play the Cardinals 2 of 3.

* Win 1 of 3.

The Pirates have had so many series like that this year. Just blowing games left and right. I think back to the series in Milwaukee a few weeks back, the "walk the opposing pitcher in the 15th inning game." If the Pirates hadn't botched that game completely, they would have won 2 of 3 instead of 1 of 3.

So many losses like that. Add'em all up and just win SOME of them, and this team could easily be 9 games over .500 instead of 1 game under.

The mark of a bad team ... so many in excusable (and costly) losses.

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

One more thing ...

Another superb outing by Taillon today. Tremendous.

Pirates lead MLB in team ERA since July 8 ... just a shame the team hasn't been able to take advantage of incredibly good pitching because of rotten offense and so many late-game screw-ups.

A real missed opportunity ...
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7351425F5C595E51724553535F300 wrote: One more thing ...

Pirates lead MLB in team ERA since July 8 ... just a shame the team hasn't been able to take advantage of incredibly good pitching because of rotten offense and so many late-game screw-ups.

This is what gives me some hope for next year. At the beginning of the year, I maintained I saw a #2 and a bunch of 4s, 5s and 6s in this rotation. If JT, Williams can remain status quo for 2019; Musgrove improves a bit and Nova is somewhat consistent, then we might have something.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

1A382B36353037381B2C3A3A36590 wrote: One more thing ...

It's pretty obvious that the pitching improvements came about because Hurdle gave them the extra day off during the San Fran series
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Didn't see the game, but in looking at the box score, really nice to see the AAA players contribute so importantly to the win. Particularly good to see Luplow positively respond to being inserted in the clean-up position.

Luplow needs more playing time the rest of the season over Dickerson. He needs more ab's.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

082A39242722252A093E2828244B0 wrote: This series with the Cardinals pretty much summarizes the Pirates season and the frustration of being a Pirates fan.

* Completely control and out-play the Cardinals 2 of 3.

* Win 1 of 3.

The Pirates have had so many series like that this year. Just blowing games left and right. I think back to the series in Milwaukee a few weeks back, the "walk the opposing pitcher in the 15th inning game." If the Pirates hadn't botched that game completely, they would have won 2 of 3 instead of 1 of 3.

So many losses like that. Add'em all up and just win SOME of them, and this team could easily be 9 games over .500 instead of 1 game under.

The mark of a bad team ... so many in excusable (and costly) losses.

Not so sure about the mark of a bad team. I'd prefer, looks like a team that is learning to win.

We're a pretty interesting mix of fairly experienced players and young guys. Remember that to start the season this board was freaking out over the rotation. Now, going into 2019, they look to be our strength. That's what a full year of MLB experience and growth does.

And the bullpen, for the most part, has come a long way. Crick and Santana both played major roles. Rodriguez surprised everyone. All were first full season players. And adding Kela looks to really solidify the pen. Right now we are giving a few relief guys a chance to prove themselves, and it costs us. But we look to be solid in 2019.

Pitching has come a long ways. This is a much better team in a lot of ways than the one that started the season. I don't think it's a "bad" group either.

Honestly, some of these losses remind me of the 2012 Pirates when we were all so anxious to break the losing streak. Lots of frustrating losses that year. But we had a lineup that really grew into 2013.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm critical of Hurdle for being a bad manager but I have to give him credit today for bringing in Vazquez in the 8th and pitching 2 innings. Ahead 4-1 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 on and no outs, that was the make or break inning to determine the outcome of the game. Hurdle went to his best instead of saving Vazquez for a 9th inning save. Vazquez ended up going 2 innings and getting the save anyway. But a save is merely a stat. All that really matters is whether they win or lose. Good for Hurdle for making the best decision to win the game.
BenM

Post by BenM »

4B666B7A7D6C7B3B38090 wrote: I'm critical of Hurdle for being a bad manager but I have to give him credit today for bringing in Vazquez in the 8th and pitching 2 innings. Ahead 4-1 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 on and no outs, that was the make or break inning to determine the outcome of the game. Hurdle went to his best instead of saving Vazquez for a 9th inning save. Vazquez ended up going 2 innings and getting the save anyway. But a save is merely a stat. All that really matters is whether they win or lose. Good for Hurdle for making the best decision to win the game.

Did the Bucs shut down Keone Kela for the season? He hasn't pitched since September third.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Thinking of the BP in 2019. With Vazquez, Kela, and Santana as the back of the end of the BP would it be a good thing to use Vazquez in the mold of Andrew Miller of the Indians? Then Santana and or Kela can finish up the game. Just sayin'
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

3020211600000C630 wrote: One more thing ...

This is what gives me some hope for next year.  At the beginning of the year, I maintained I saw a #2 and a bunch of 4s, 5s and 6s in this rotation.  If JT, Williams can remain status quo for 2019; Musgrove improves a bit and Nova is somewhat consistent, then we might have something.
It's impossible to look to the future with Hurdle at the helm. The guy just doesn't put a premium on wins. It's like if you win 5 in a row that's pretty good so what if you lose a couple gosh we just won 5 in a row we're doing good 5 out of 7. He doesn't understand that the game Monday night was very winnable but it just wasn't that important to him. With a manager like that it doesn't matter what kind of players we have it's never going to produce a winning team for the Pirates. Sad but that's my opinion.