Is It Time To Move On From Marte

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Initially I agree that Marte is the Bucs best centerfielder, base stealer and does provide some pop in the lineup. Notwithstanding do the Pirates attempt to trade him this offseason with the idea to bring back a couple players who could give them some additional hitting in the everyday lineup. I think we agree the Pirates should have a strong pitching staff in 2019, but they need more offense. Don’t weaken the pitching to acquire a bat or two, but possibly dealing Marte can bring the Pirates some additional hitters.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

646869323B323A37302F35020 wrote: Initially I agree that Marte is the Bucs best centerfielder, base stealer and does provide some pop in the lineup. Notwithstanding do the Pirates attempt to trade him this offseason with the idea to bring back a couple players who could give them some additional hitting in the everyday lineup. I think we agree the Pirates should have a strong pitching staff in 2019, but they need more offense. Don’t weaken the pitching to acquire a bat or two, but possibly dealing Marte can bring the Pirates some additional hitters.
I don't see such a trade happening. If they acquire "a bat or two," one of those bats would have to replace the offense Marte provides. I don't see any team giving up so much that Marte's offense, which is one of the better ones on the team, is replaced by one player and another player adds significantly more offense.

I suspect they will sink or swim with what they've got from among Bell, Frazier, Cervelli, Diaz, Moran, Kramer, Newman , Dickerson, Marte, Polanco and Luplow.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6B67663D343D35383F203A0D0 wrote: Initially I agree that Marte is the Bucs best centerfielder, base stealer and does provide some pop in the lineup. Notwithstanding do the Pirates attempt to trade him this offseason with the idea to bring back a couple players who could give them some additional hitting in the everyday lineup. I think we agree the Pirates should have a strong pitching staff in 2019, but they need more offense. Don’t weaken the pitching to acquire a bat or two, but possibly dealing Marte can bring the Pirates some additional hitters.

who would play center?

The holes in offense are at third, first, second and short.

A lot depends upon how the Pirates evaluate the players they have.

Can Bell hit with power or does the team need to find someone for first?

What do they think of Frazier, Newman and Kramer? Can they fill spots at second and short and be decent offensive players?

What do they do with Dickerson and Polanco?

My guess is both are starting in 2019.

Third base - seems to be the place to improve. But do the Bucs roll the dice with Moran and Kang for 2019?

There are a lot of unknowns going into 2019 at this stage.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

646869323B323A37302F35020 wrote: Initially I agree that Marte is the Bucs best centerfielder, base stealer and does provide some pop in the lineup. Notwithstanding do the Pirates attempt to trade him this offseason with the idea to bring back a couple players who could give them some additional hitting in the everyday lineup. I think we agree the Pirates should have a strong pitching staff in 2019, but they need more offense. Don’t weaken the pitching to acquire a bat or two, but possibly dealing Marte can bring the Pirates some additional hitters.

Marte doesn't bring back bats that provide immediate help. He brings back prospects that either will or won't make it in the majors. There is no reason to deal him.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

0B2D2C3B2D3D4E0 wrote: Initially I agree that Marte is the Bucs best centerfielder, base stealer and does provide some pop in the lineup. Notwithstanding do the Pirates attempt to trade him this offseason with the idea to bring back a couple players who could give them some additional hitting in the everyday lineup. I think we agree the Pirates should have a strong pitching staff in 2019, but they need more offense. Don’t weaken the pitching to acquire a bat or two, but possibly dealing Marte can bring the Pirates some additional hitters.

who would play center?

The holes in offense are at third, first, second and short.

A lot depends upon how the Pirates evaluate the players they have.

Can Bell hit with power or does the team need to find someone for first?

What do they think of Frazier, Newman and Kramer?  Can they fill spots at second and short and be decent offensive players?

What do they do with Dickerson and Polanco? 

My guess is both are starting in 2019.

Third base - seems to be the place to improve.  But do the Bucs roll the dice with Moran and Kang for 2019?

There are a lot of unknowns going into 2019 at this stage.

They may bring him back on a more team friendly deal, but I can't see any way the PBC picks up Kang's $5.5M option for next year
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Looks like he'll make it to 140 games played for just the second time. The HBPs have always been a concern, they're down this year but shouldn't be forgotten. A big part of their strategy this year should have been rebuilding some value for Marte, Polanco, and Cervelli. They missed the boat with the latter two, but if they can get some young value for Marte they should grab it.
mouse

Post by mouse »

A trade of Marte would mean giving up (at least in public opinion) on 2019. There would be some squawking. People that didn't lose interest after McCutchen was traded would lose interest now, meaning even less seats in the seats. I can see some logic to a trade of that sort if you felt 2019 was a lost cause and wanted to build for 2020 or 2021, etc.; not if they think they can compete now. Remember, they thought they could compete this year - they'll certainly think they can next year. And they do love to roll the dice with reclamation projects.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Though the Pirate offense is in obvious need of improvement the defense is below average. With a young pitching staff being relied upon next year to lead the way, weakening the defense by dealing Marte seems counterproductive to me.

Marte is not an offensive liability in CF; keep him and find a 3B who can provide power and decent defense. Moustakas or Davidson? Could Kramer hit well enough there? Has Kang exceeded his shelf life? Pray that Moran spends the off season putting on some muscle, and working with Brooks Robinson on his defense?

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

If you focus on an employee’s flaws or shortcomings more than their capabilities you would end up firing just about everyone. Marte is far from perfect, but I think he is certainly better than average.

If the Bucs could trade him and make the team better I am all for it. However, I think the opportunities of 1) moving him, and 2) making the Pirates better in the process, are minimal.

ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

I don't think the offense needs much improvement. I don't think trading Marte would bring improvement anyways.

in 2015 the Bucs won 98 games with an offense that averaged 4.30 Runs scored per game with a .719 OPS

thus far in 2018 the bucs average 4.33 Runs scored per game with a .724 OPS

2015 ERA was 3.21  this years is 4.05

if the pitching improves like we suspect. The bucs could be pretty competitive with just a small upgrade in offense IMO