Which Hitter Should The Bucs Pursue This Offseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates pitching seems set for the 2019 season, and in order to compete in the Central they need to sign or acquire a bat especially now with the Polanco injury. Three players I thought of are free agent to be Michael Brantley, and two players from the Mets of which one was rumored to be previously pursued by the Bucs. The two Met players are Brandon Nimmo, and Michael Conforto. After looking at the free agents to be outfielders many of them , don’t appear to be on the Bucs radar. Harper is out of their price range, and I just don’t think they will take a leap and resign Cutch. Bringing back Cutch could change the culture of the clubhouse since some of the younger guys on the club have now assumed the role as team leaders. Possibly they could pursue an infielder and put Frazier in the outfield, or they could stay in house and use Luplow. They do need additional offense, but it may be difficult to find it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I made a suggestion the other day of maybe looking at Asdrubal Cabrera. Getting older so I'm sure his defense isn't what it used to be, but he plays 2nd, short and third and has some power:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... as01.shtml

He was having a real good season with the Mets before being traded to the Phillies, where he hasn't done as well.

I'd like to see him or someone like him that might provide some cover for the new guys in the IF.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

If you can find a taker for Cervelli, then I would target Jonathan Lucroy or Maldonado

SS - not really a good bat, but Hechavarria would bring a better glove than Mercer and gives same numbers offensively.

Outside the box ... Pirates love these versatile Josh Harrison types. I would be intrigued by Marwin Gonzalez. Not a great year in Houston, but can play 1B, 2B, SS, LF and maybe 3B in a pinch. Adds some power.

A. Cabrera.
AdamInCranberry

Post by AdamInCranberry »

I know this is a reach, but I'd like to see the Pirates go after Josh Donaldson. He might only get a 1 or 2 year deal as he needs to rebound from a terrible season. He's a good defender at third and a .900 OPS bat (assuming he is healthy). He has the upside that makes it worth risking millions of dollars.

Otherwise I'd prefer to see some 1 year deals for a veteran SS, power bat in RF, etc.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I like the Conforto idea but why would the Mets trade him? He is young and controlable (nice for the Bucs too) and would likely take a lot for the Bucs to get him. Nimmo, not so much.

Cabrera might be a guy who could be had but at what salary? Will he settle for less than the $8 mil he got this year? If he wants a raise in the JHay level then No! I say that because he is primarily a SS and 2B and he would end up being a starter at one of those positions for the salary it would take to get him. And you all know Clint he loves his vets.

Seems to me that the Bucs are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to looking for a bat and a mentor for the kid MIs.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Keep in mind, one year deals often come late in the off-season, after everyone has scooped up the longer-term deals. The people left, and the rehabbers, start to get itchy as January runs along and will do one year deals. That's okay for NH, who can get people at a reasonable salary level, but what about us as observers? Do we have the nerves of steel it takes to get close to February with the roster not set? Or will we be screaming for NH to do something, anything once the winter meetings are unproductively over?
Quail

Post by Quail »

6E4B4E4266416C5D4E414D4A5D5D562F0 wrote: I know this is a reach, but I'd like to see the Pirates go after Josh Donaldson.  He might only get a 1 or 2 year deal as he needs to rebound from a terrible season.  He's a good defender at third and a .900 OPS bat (assuming he is healthy).  He has the upside that makes it worth risking millions of dollars.

Otherwise I'd prefer to see some 1 year deals for a veteran SS, power bat in RF, etc. 

Donaldson is the big fish I'd try to land; hoping that his injury/bad season issues could bring his demands down enough for the Bucs to sign him to a short term, rebound contract as they did with Russell Martin a few years ago.

Failing that I'd like to see:

1. Adeiny Hechavarria signed as middle infield insurance for Newman/Kramer/Frazier.

2. I doubt that Conforto will be in play, but if he is I'd target him. A power bat is exactly what the Pirates need to improve their offense.

3. Matt Adams. Again a power bat. A bit more realistic than Davidson or Conforto.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6D7D7C4B5D5D513E0 wrote: If you can find a taker for Cervelli, then I would target Jonathan Lucroy or Maldonado

SS - not really a good bat, but Hechavarria would bring a better glove than Mercer and gives same numbers offensively.

Outside the box ... Pirates love these versatile Josh Harrison types.  I would be intrigued by Marwin Gonzalez.  Not a great year in Houston, but can play 1B, 2B, SS, LF and maybe 3B in a pinch.  Adds some power.

A. Cabrera.
I like the choice of Marwin Gonzalez. He is very versatile and can switch hit. He would also fit in the mid level type of player which the Pirates have pursued. Just like in the Russ Martin signing, Gonzalez has not had a real productive season.
AdamInCranberry

Post by AdamInCranberry »

32302A2C3A5F0 wrote: Keep in mind, one year deals often come late in the off-season, after everyone has scooped up the longer-term deals. The people left, and the rehabbers, start to get itchy as January runs along and will do one year deals. That's okay for NH, who can get people at a reasonable salary level, but what about us as observers? Do we have the nerves of steel it takes to get close to February with the roster not set? Or will we be screaming for NH to do something, anything once the winter meetings are unproductively over?

No question this scenario will be tough to watch play out. But if this offseason is anything like the past one, there will be a lot of quality players looking for 1 year deals in January and even February. It will be worth the wait. Or maybe another player will fall in our laps like Dickerson did.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Wasn't this upcoming offseason supposed to be the greatest FA class in history? I just looked at the list on MLB.com, and it looks to me like a bunch of average to below average players who are almost all past their primes. Aside from Harper, Machado, and some of the pitchers (Corbin, Keuchel, Kershaw, and Price--the latter two both of whom have opt-out clauses), no one strikes me as a difference maker. IMHO, the Pirates need to bring in a difference maker if they bring in anyone at all.

Maybe that comes via trade? Does bringing in Kela and the emergence of Santana, Crick, and Rodriguez make dealing Vazquez a possibility? Vazquez is great, and I love having him as closer, but I've got to believe that the drop-off from him to Kela wouldn't be that drastic. Maybe they can flip Vazquez for an impact bat.