Corey Dickerson- Gold Glove Candidate

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

Through Sunday Corey Dickerson ranks first among NL left fielders with a .996 fielding percentage and .958 zone rating. He's made only one error in 262 chances and is tied for second in the league with seven assists. Is this the same guy who was a DHing almost half of the time with the Rays?
mouse

Post by mouse »

I've been impressed with him this year. He doesn't have the great speed or a great arm, but he seems to understand fundamentals and hustles on every play, puts himself in the correct position, and doesn't take things for granted. Definitely like him as a player.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C7E646274110 wrote: I've been impressed with him this year. He doesn't have the great speed or a great arm, but he seems to understand fundamentals and hustles on every play, puts himself in the correct position, and doesn't take things for granted. Definitely like him as a player.
Exactly! He's a real pro who utilizes his abilities to the max.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

The one guy Dickerson reminds me of is Bill "The Quail" Virdon who patrolled CF for the 60 Bucs. Not especially fast or possessor of the strongest arm he had a way of getting to even the longest drives hit deep at Forbes Field. His throws back to the infield were always on the mark and to the right base. In my opinion Virdon could make a below average OFer a better than average one simply by teaching him the fundamentals and quirks of playing the OF.
mouse

Post by mouse »

That's my recollection of Virdon as well, and I have to say, I really like to see good fundamental baseball. I wonder if the basics are being taught anymore - or if the average player of yore was just as weak on them then as today's players are.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F7D676177120 wrote: That's my recollection of Virdon as well, and I have to say, I really like to see good fundamental baseball. I wonder if the basics are being taught anymore - or if the average player of yore was just as weak on them then as today's players are. 
At the many Pirate fantasy camps I attended, they often had instructional clinics the first day on hitting, pitching and fielding conducted by the old pros. For example, Maz demonstrated fielding the ball and turning DPs. Virdon demonstrated OF play. I loved that stuff. Being a lifelong outfielder, I was particularly interested in that session. Virdon talked about getting a jump on the ball, never giving up on a ball and never failing to back up an infielder even on what looks like routine plays. (He said he backed up Maz on countless grounders but didn't ever remember one getting past Maz). Virdon also offered a tip on watching the pitch from the OF. He said it's pointless to follow the ball from pitcher to batter. As soon as the pitch is delivered, focus on the batter for a split second advantage getting a jump rather than adiusting from following the ball's flight in 2 different direction (pitcher to batter and batter to the OF). Little things like that. Those guys were fundamentally sound (Dick Stuart notwithstanding :)). The Pirates bring in many former players in ST to help with fundamentals. Virdon used to go but I think he's had some health issues the last few years.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Bill Virdon was not only a very good player, but more importantly, a great human being. I have had, on more than one occasion, talk to him. At all times, he was a humble and true man. I told him once about an article about Danny Murtaugh that was written. Murtaugh said that even though Dick Groat was the captain of the team, he always considered Virdon the true captain. When I told Virdon about the statement, he was very humble, telling me that everybody on the team were, in his opinion, captains. Nothing but class.