Baseball America Subscription

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Anybody out in OBN land subscribe to this baseball only publication? Just curious as I am thinking about a subscription. If there is can you tell me if it is worth the money for a digital only subscription. Thanks.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Along that line, what is the thought on the Post-Gazette? I stopped reading it when that Rob Beerfellow (whatever his name is) was at the peak of his anti-Pirates rant. I wonder, now that he's no longer there, if the articles are actually informative at this point, to an extent making an on-line subscription worth it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I kinda like Rob Biertempfel.

No real opinion on the PG subscription except that reporters seem to be leaving there like rats from a sinking ship. Sign of the times I guess.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

30020E0E1A280B020F0A0502630 wrote: I kinda like Rob Biertempfel. 

No real opinion on the PG subscription except that reporters seem to be leaving there like rats from a sinking ship.  Sign of the times I guess.

Yeah, I really like Rob. I think he writes for The Athletic now, which is a subscription based online medium.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

56777F567D75120 wrote: Anybody out in OBN land subscribe to this baseball only publication?  Just curious as I am thinking about a subscription.  If there is can you tell me if it is worth the money for a digital only subscription.  Thanks.

I had a subscription for a number of years but dropped it probably ten years ago.

It is very good at getting info on all prospects but Pirate Prospects, Bucs Dugout are better for info on Pirates. Very good pre and post draft coverage.

When I subscribed I really wanted to get its Baseball Almanac which includes all the stats from previous season.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

As far the PG and Biertempfl goes I do miss him there. But have a subscription to The Athletic and love it for not just Pirate stuff but also the other Pittsburgh teams and other cities accounts of what is happening with their teams. Seems to me that The Athletic has a great reputation of having great reporters who seem to have the ear of management and the players.

As for stats on current prospects players I can get those from P2 and reports on their progress from there too. As for actual stats one can go to the websites for each team in the system.

Why I am attracted to Baseball Prospectus is due to the amount of info as was said above on the pre and post draft kids. Will look into the Baseball Almanac as well.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

My brother had Baseball Prospectus for a while when he was a writer for a small paper--it was a HUGE amount of information, probably more than would be worth for me personally to look at. But I'd thought about both that and Baseball America from time to time.
RichD

Post by RichD »

I used to get Baseball America from about the mid 80`s until end of 90`s when I first got internet. That and the USA Today sports page were the best.Since I dont live in Pittsburgh it was real hard to get pirate / prospect news back in the day.