Musgrove out Kingham in . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Per P2 Musgrove will miss his last two starts of the season with right side abdominal discomfort. Kingham will get the start today and perhaps the next one when Musgrove's turn comes up.

Seems that the problem with Musgrove is not significant and no cause for worry.

This will be a chance to see what Kingham can really do since he is out of options and a decision must be made about him for next season.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Rob Biertempfel in The Athletic reports this morning that Musgrove is done for the year, will rest for 6 weeks and be re-evaluated in November for possible abdominal surgery. If he has to have the surgery it will probably set him back as far as his Spring Training timetable is concerned. Sounds somewhat worrisome to me.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I’m getting kind of concerned about these injuries. Polanco might miss significant time next year. Kuhl is out for the year. Santana's injury, “forearm and elbow discomfort,” sounds ominous to say the least. And now Musgrove, who may or may not require surgery. I’m now firmly of the mindset that the Bucs need to bring Nova back next year.

On Kingham, I wonder if he would be viewed as favorably were it not for his MLB debut. Aside from a couple of starts, he’s been pretty mediocre.
mouse

Post by mouse »

His starts have been a little sporadic. Apparently it had been something like twenty days since his last start before that effort the other day. That said, though, not very encouraging. I think he's out of options as well. So, relief?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C6E747264010 wrote: His starts have been a little sporadic. Apparently it had been something like twenty days since his last start before that effort the other day. That said, though, not very encouraging. I think he's out of options as well. So, relief?
But he struggled even when he was pitching more regularly. Ignoring a poor start on 7/2 because he hadn't started in awhile, he then made regular starts on 7/8, 7/13, 7/21, 7/26 and 8/1 and compiled a record of 22.2 IP, 23 hits, 14 ER, 9 BBs, 19 Ks, 6 HRs, ERA 5.56. Batters compiled .258/.337/.517/.854 during that stretch. I think his near perfect debut game was misleading because St.L. was taking so many strikes over the heart of the plate. They had never seen Kingham so it looked like they had a strategy to make him throw a lot of pitches to see what he had. He threw 72 of 98 pitches for strikes, was ahead of most hitters and had them swinging defensively with 2 strikes. After that, teams were ready to hit his strikes which prompted him to throw fewer of them and walk more. He doesn't seem to have an out pitch. I wouldn't judge a pitcher strictly on his rookie season. There's still hope for Kingham. Not sure what his ceiling is though.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Musgrove has surgery per MLBRs.

Musgrove Undergoes Abdominal Surgery