Another Bucs Trivia Question

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Stealing a bolt of Possum's thunder, here is a trivia question for older Buuco Fans....

During the off-season of 1959, Pirates GM Joe L. Brown attempted to trade for what slugger with the KC A's to make the 1960 a better team?

Name the player the Buccos desired...

And name the players in the deal as well from the A's and from the Pirates....

This deal would have changed the chemistry of the 1960 World Championship Pirates...

Beat'em Bucs :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Ooh! Ooh! I know! It's in my book. But you might have to be a little flexible on the players the Pirates offered as it was rumored that there was an either/or situation.

A part II could be "What other sluggers did Brown attempt unsuccessfully to acquire that winter?"
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Bobster, we are indeed reading from the same book!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

No problem stealing my trivia thunder.  It is fun to remember many of the trivial things about our Buccos. I guess I will have to go to my powder room and open my copy of Bobster's book to get the answer.  Yes, Bobster I do use your book to "meditate" once in a while.  ;D

By the way, the KC A player ended up wearing the same number with his new team as a certain Bucco HOFer who also hit a memorable HR.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Roger Maris
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

That is correct Roger Maris was the power bat coveted by Joe L. Brown.

Now, name 2 of the three players the Pirates were willing to give up to get Maris and what A's were coming to Pittsburgh. You are one smart cookie if you can do that!
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6057415164434C4B4C6563220 wrote: That is correct Roger Maris was the power bat coveted by Joe L. Brown.

Now, name 2 of the three players the Pirates were willing to give up to get Maris and what A's were coming to Pittsburgh. You are one smart cookie if you can do that!

Bobby Hill and Brant Brown? ;D
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I looked at Bobster's Book and was just flabbergasted that the A's wanted 2 regulars plus and the ones they wanted were very integral to the team in 1960. That would be like the Bucs trading Williams and Marte plus Glasnow for Archer. So glad Joe L. was a great GM and declined the deal. Do you have any idea about what other AL sluggers Brown tried to acquire? I know and Bobster knows.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

The Pirates were interested in adding power and had their sights on Detroit-Klaine, KC-Maris, Cleveland-Colavito and Washington-Harmon Killabrew.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The 3 players the Pirates were going to receive from KC were all on the field in Pittsburgh in the bottom of the 8th in game 7 of the World Series.