Cubs put Bryant, among others, on trade block

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

I know it would never happen, but there is your 3b solution.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think that's more news value than anything else. Their GM said they would listen but went on to say he couldn't imagine a deal that would actually temp them to do a trade.

On a sobering note, there's an article on Buc's Dugout this morning -- https://www.bucsdugout.com/2018/11/9/18 ... 2019-plans -- that puts the offseason likely outcomes in more perspective. Here's a quick quote from the article --

"If we assume that the team’s budget for free agents/trade acquisitions this year falls in the $15 million range (and that’s being generous), That leaves the club with about $12 million to spend...on a left-handed reliever, a defensive-minded shortstop and then possibly a productive bat."

You can gauge from this amount and the number of people needed the likelihood we get anyone that would catch the slightest off-season attention.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

33312B2D3B5E0 wrote: I think that's more news value than anything else. Their GM said they would listen but went on to say he couldn't imagine a deal that would actually temp them to do a trade.

On a sobering note, there's an article on Buc's Dugout this morning -- https://www.bucsdugout.com/2018/11/9/18 ... 2019-plans -- that puts the offseason likely outcomes in more perspective. Here's a quick quote from the article --

"If we assume that the team’s budget for free agents/trade acquisitions this year falls in the $15 million range (and that’s being generous), That leaves the club with about $12 million to spend...on a left-handed reliever, a defensive-minded shortstop and then possibly a productive bat."

You can gauge from this amount and the number of people needed the likelihood we get anyone that would catch the slightest off-season attention. 
It must be the worst kept secret in the world that the Pirates are not going to add to the the roster with anything more than bargain rate players.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

052825343322357576470 wrote: I think that's more news value than anything else. Their GM said they would listen but went on to say he couldn't imagine a deal that would actually temp them to do a trade.

It must be the worst kept secret in the world that the Pirates are not going to add to the the roster with anything more than bargain rate players.

I think they'll make a moderate signing.

Six months ago: "It must be the worst kept secret in the world that the Pirates are not going to trade for someone like Chris Archer."

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

62505C5C487A59505D585750310 wrote: I think that's more news value than anything else. Their GM said they would listen but went on to say he couldn't imagine a deal that would actually temp them to do a trade.

Six months ago:  "It must be the worst kept secret in the world that the Pirates are not going to trade for someone like Chris Archer."
Yes, Archer was a deviation from their norm. But his salary was not prohibitive and they traded a boatload to get him. Looking at the roster, adding a SS is a must. They are set at the other 7 position players spots and surely aren't going to make a huge signing to upgrade any of the other spots. And that's ok. As for pitching, the rotation is set and again they aren't going to make a huge splash in free agency to upgrade that. And that's ok too. In the BP, the back end is set and they have the marginal guys for the front end who will probably be as good as other marginal guys they could obtain. What they truly need is a LHP or 2 in the pen as Brault cannot do the job. Vazquez is the only other LHP in the pen and he's saved for the 9th inning.

So this is not an organization that's going to sign a major FA star to upgrade 1B or 3B or to bring in a star RFer for half a season until Polanco returns, or a top pitcher to upgrade the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. Nor are they going to bring in a star SS from free agency when 3 of their recent high draft picks have been SSs who are probably 1 (Newman) or 2 (Tucker) years away. Realistically, they are going to bring in a marginal SS to hold the job for a year or so and a competent LH reliever.      
PMike

Post by PMike »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: I think that's more news value than anything else. Their GM said they would listen but went on to say he couldn't imagine a deal that would actually temp them to do a trade.

Six months ago:  "It must be the worst kept secret in the world that the Pirates are not going to trade for someone like Chris Archer."
Yes, Archer was a deviation from their norm. But his salary was not prohibitive and they traded a boatload to get him. Looking at the roster, adding a SS is a must. They are set at the other 7 position players spots and surely aren't going to make a huge signing to upgrade any of the other spots. And that's ok. As for pitching, the rotation is set and again they aren't going to make a huge splash in free agency to upgrade that. And that's ok too. In the BP, the back end is set and they have the marginal guys for the front end who will probably be as good as other marginal guys they could obtain. What they truly need is a LHP or 2 in the pen as Brault cannot do the job. Vazquez is the only other LHP in the pen and he's saved for the 9th inning.

So this is not an organization that's going to sign a major FA star to upgrade 1B or 3B or to bring in a star RFer for half a season until Polanco returns, or a top pitcher to upgrade the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. Nor are they going to bring in a star SS from free agency when 3 of their recent high draft picks have been SSs who are probably 1 (Newman) or 2 (Tucker) years away. Realistically, they are going to bring in a marginal SS to hold the job for a year or so and a competent LH reliever.      

Newman is ready for the majors. He is 25 and has spend a year and a half in AAA. There is no reason to keep him there. Time to let him sink or swim in the majors. I would sign Hecchavaria to be his backup and the misc. defensive guy they love so much. He can also play SS if Newman doesn't cut it.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

786541434D280 wrote: I think that's more news value than anything else. Their GM said they would listen but went on to say he couldn't imagine a deal that would actually temp them to do a trade.

Newman is ready for the majors.  He is 25 and has spend a year and a half in AAA.  There is no reason to keep him there.  Time to let him sink or swim in the majors.  I would sign Hecchavaria to be his backup and the misc. defensive guy they love so much.  He can also play SS if Newman doesn't cut it.

You know PMike you make a good point and I am moving that way with you. What we saw from Newman this season is a small sample. He may cut it in 2019 but he has Cole Tucker who is lighting up the AFL now and should be ready by 2020 to take over as the regular and then where does Newman go? As for signing Hechevarria, I like that idea. He is not really bad with the bat just not top flite by any means. But his glove is top notch and he can move around the infield as a UT guy. The kinds of guyss TBMTIB would sign for SS in 2019 would not be better than Newman. The money, what little of it there will be, needs to be used to fill some other spots that we all know that exist.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm guessing that is the way the Pirates will head, and Hecchevaria (aside from the issues I would have spelling his name) might be the best option out there. Hurdle would have to sit a bit on his urge to play the veterans but we do need to know what we have with Newman.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

45475D5B4D280 wrote: I'm guessing that is the way the Pirates will head, and Hecchevaria (aside from the issues I would have spelling his name) might be the best option out there. Hurdle would have to sit a bit on his urge to play the veterans but we do need to know what we have with Newman.

mouse, I took care of your spelling problem. See the sticky at the top of the forum. [smiley=beer.gif]
mouse

Post by mouse »

:) Thank you.