Deal with Tribe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Deal with Tribe

Post by Ecbucs »

Surprising Deal to me:

The Indians announced Wednesday that they’ve acquired outfielder Jordan Luplow and infielder Max Moroff from the Pirates in exchange for utility man Erik Gonzalez and minor league right-handers Tahnaj Thomas and Dante Mendoza. The Pirates, too, have issued a press release announcing the move.

“Erik Gonzalez is an athletic middle infielder who plays solid defense and has the potential to be a productive hitter at the major league level,” said Pirates GM Neal Huntington in a statement announcing the move. “He gives us another quality option to play shortstop or in the middle of our infield this year and into the future.”

More to come.
Osushawn

Deal with Tribe

Post by Osushawn »

Guess that means Frazier to right?
Ecbucs

Deal with Tribe

Post by Ecbucs »

2C1016100B02140D630 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?

Could be, I can see Gonzalez getting a shot at either second or short. 

Was surprised to see Luplow go as I thought he would at least be the  4th outfielder in 2019.

This move makes me think the Bucs are going to be busy this winter.
SCBucco

Deal with Tribe

Post by SCBucco »

153332253323500 wrote: Surprising Deal to me:

The Indians announced Wednesday that they’ve acquired outfielder Jordan Luplow and infielder Max Moroff from the Pirates in exchange for utility man Erik Gonzalez and minor league right-handers Tahnaj Thomas and Dante Mendoza. The Pirates, too, have issued a press release announcing the move.

“Erik Gonzalez is an athletic middle infielder who plays solid defense and has the potential to be a productive hitter at the major league level,” said Pirates GM Neal Huntington in a statement announcing the move. “He gives us another quality option to play shortstop or in the middle of our infield this year and into the future.”

More to come.

One for the ages. Tells you what the organization thought of Luplow. Gonzalez is worse than SRod. No pop; nothing special bat.
CarolinaBucco

Deal with Tribe

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I don't really get this one.

We acquire a utility middle infielder for the 10,000th time ... and we give up an average middle infielder and our 4th outfielder? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Are either of the pitching prospects any good?
Bobster21

Deal with Tribe

Post by Bobster21 »

6E5254524940564F210 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?
I think they want Frazier at 2B. But this might open up RF for Reyes until Polanco returns.
fjk090852-7

Deal with Tribe

Post by fjk090852-7 »

173A37262130276764550 wrote: Guess that means Frazier to right?
I think they want Frazier at 2B. But this might open up RF for Reyes until Polanco returns.

I still think they will sign a veteran outfielder to fill in while Polanco is on the DL. The veteran outfielder will be an accomplished hitter off the bench as well.
DemDog

Deal with Tribe

Post by DemDog »

1735263B383D3A35162137373B540 wrote: I don't really get this one.

We acquire a utility middle infielder for the 10,000th time ... and we give up an average middle infielder and our 4th outfielder? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Here is a blurb about each one from John Dreker over at P2:

Tahnaj Thomas is a 19-year-old from the Bahamas, who pitched in the AZL (Same level as GCL), where he had a 4.58 ERA in 19.2 innings this year, but he picked up 27 strikeouts, with a .188 BAA and a 1.90 GO/AO ratio. He was ranked 30th by MLB Pipeline among all Cleveland prospects. He’s 6’4″, 190 pounds, with a 92-95 MPH fastball that has excellent downward plane. Pipeline also says that he has the makings of an above average curve, plus a feel for a changeup.

Mendoza is also 19 and in the AZL this season. He’s 6’5″, 186 pounds, and was drafted in the 12th round last year out of high school. He had a matching 4.58 ERA as Thomas, throwing exactly twice as many innings. He signed for $125,000 (slot after the tenth round) and is the cousin of Zach Britton. Mendoza throws a fastball, curve and changeup. According to Baseball America, he throws 86-90 MPH and needs work on his off-speed pitches. He’s all about projection due to his frame, which has a lot of room to fill out.

And this link to an article by WTM at BucsDugOut:

Pirates trade Luplow and Moroff for Indians Gonzalez and 2 MiLB pitcheers
Ecbucs

Deal with Tribe

Post by Ecbucs »

19383019323A5D0 wrote: I don't really get this one.

Tahnaj Thomas is a 19-year-old from the Bahamas, who pitched in the AZL (Same level as GCL), where he had a 4.58 ERA in 19.2 innings this year, but he picked up 27 strikeouts, with a .188 BAA and a 1.90 GO/AO ratio. He was ranked 30th by MLB Pipeline among all Cleveland prospects. He’s 6’4″, 190 pounds, with a 92-95 MPH fastball that has excellent downward plane. Pipeline also says that he has the makings of an above average curve, plus a feel for a changeup.

Mendoza is also 19 and in the AZL this season. He’s 6’5″, 186 pounds, and was drafted in the 12th round last year out of high school. He had a matching 4.58 ERA as Thomas, throwing exactly twice as many innings. He signed for $125,000 (slot after the tenth round) and is the cousin of Zach Britton. Mendoza throws a fastball, curve and changeup. According to Baseball America, he throws 86-90 MPH and needs work on his off-speed pitches. He’s all about projection due to his frame, which has a lot of room to fill out.

thanks for posting. Mendoza sounds like a guy who would have been on the Bucco draft board.
SCBucco

Deal with Tribe

Post by SCBucco »

69484069424A2D0 wrote: I don't really get this one.

Cool ... we just love these players from non baseball countries ... the Bahamas, South Africa and Lithuania. Still, don't get this deal. The MF we are getting isn't a solution.